Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Location of Battery?

Go down 
+6
hardee41
Waspie
jdeereanton
MikeO
DennisB
compguy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-11

Location of Battery? Empty
PostSubject: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I know this might sound trivial but I'm getting my Swing ready to sit the winter out and want to put a trickle charger on it. I removed it from my Reflex and I guess I assumed the battery was as easy to access on the Swing but after taking off the panel under the seat I still don't see it.

Can anyone help?

Keith
Iowa
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi Keith,

It's in the left side of the cargo area under the seat and you need to remove the battery cover, just one screw.

Do you have an owners manual?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:23 am

It's on its side, too - that confused me at first.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 6:55 am

Battery location is shown in the Owners Manual. As a professional writer I feel obligated to point that out.

Setting the obvious aside -

Location of Battery? Dscf0010

Remove the single screw that is called out in the image above and remove the cover to reveal the battery. The positive (red +) connection is forward and the negative (black -) is aft.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks everyone. Yes I do have a owners manual and I skimmed it when I first bought it but I guess I miss that part. I feel a little stupid.

Keith
Iowa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

The info given by jdreereanton is important to note, since the pos and neg terminals may be not so easy to identify after you take the battery cover off (the + and - indicators are on the cover). If you reverse the cables or hook up the charger improperly you could do some real damage. I don't know why Honda didn't make things a bit easier, such as providing small wires leading out of the case for easy charger/tender hook-up.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 am

compguy wrote:
Thanks everyone. Yes I do have a owners manual and I skimmed it when I first bought it but I guess I miss that part. I feel a little stupid.
No need to feel that way, I am just a proponent of checking the books first. As a writer I know that reputable companies allow their writers to work closely with the engineers and human factors folks to create a product that 'should' answer most consumer questions. Honda is one of those reputable companies and their owners manuals are some of the best.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:58 pm

vito wrote:
I don't know why Honda didn't make things a bit easier, such as providing small wires leading out of the case for easy charger/tender hook-up.

Good point. In fact that is exactly what I did to ensure I could hook up a charger without removing the cover.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Don't feel dumb. When I first got my Swing I had to ask how to replace the mirrors and someone had to tell me "turn the handlebars."
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Battery access   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 1:26 am

vito wrote:I don't know why Honda didn't make things a bit easier, such as providing small wires leading out of the case for easy charger/tender hook-up.

I ran 2 10" wires from the battery to a 12v (Cigar lighter) & glued it beside the cover. I can charge my cell ph.-gps- or plug in my battery charger or trouble light. Works for me harley
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:34 pm

Dale, you and I are the same age and maybe, being a writer you can remember this about the Owner's manuals in the early sixties: Such poor translations from Japanese to English that the owner's manual was like reading a comic book!Rolling Eyes

I guess though that if it were turned around and I was writing an owner's manual for an American made (In those days) John Deere tractor, that they would laugh at my poor translation also.affraid

Sam Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Sam,

I do remember those old (bad) translations. Honda is now one of the better companies for technical documentation.

The Chinese and other SE Asia countries as well as the Indian Sub-Continent have assumed the role of writing silly gibberish manuals these days.

I do think that they probably have the same response to many US companies and the poor translations into other languages. Side Note - We did some work for an Afghan project and discovered that the dialect we used was based on the Kabul area (as we were told), but the project and associated work was moving into the northern part of Afghanistan and the workers there did not comprehend the written or AUDIBLE translations because they used a different dialect.
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 4:25 pm

If it wasn't for that 'Tower of Babble' thing we'd all speak the same language--maybe even the English would actually SPEAK English Razz

Sam Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 6:54 am

Porkie,
Why can't the English teach their children how to speak? A quote from the film (movie) My Fair Lady by Professor Henry Higgins. Look up the lyrics or the YouTube clip and you will gain some of the difficulties we have in understanding each other. For example, a Cockney from East End of London may not be able to understand a Mackem from Sunderland. Such is the joy of English regional accents, not forgetting Scots and Manx Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish languages.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 8:57 am

I wouldn't use any of the Sixties film musicals as an example of good English speech, Especially as Dick Van Dyke's Cockney accent as Bert chimney sweep in 'Mary Poppins' is probably the worst ever recorded on film.

Listening to local accents here in Yorkshire, the accent from 20 miles away in West Yorkshire sounds distinctly different from here in York and North Yorkshire.
Back to top Go down
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:13 pm

Perhaps I should have quoted the end of act 2 of Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw, written in 1912?
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2015 8:51 pm

English or Americanees Twisted Evil  where else would this make sense, I'll stake you to a steak to drive this stake into the vampires heart, ohhh myyyyyyyyyyy Smile Smile  translation smalation Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Location of Battery?   Location of Battery? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Location of Battery?
Page 1 of 1