Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware

Go down 
+9
oldwingguy
sonuvabug
rustysdream
MikeO
DennisB
RVer
MaxB
chieninhouston
dickie
13 posters
AuthorMessage

12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware Empty
PostSubject: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Directions for installing wiring from battery to left front fairing pocket:
Directons for installing a 12 volt power adapter that snaps in hole:

PLEASE READ
All steps first, there is a method to my madness.

I know you’ve heard it before, but I’ll say it anyway “If I can do it anyone can do it”

What do I need to get started?

ORDER:
Honda GL1800 GoldWing Plug & Play Fairing Pocket Install 12 Volt Adapter.
(This adapter snaps in place, no need to remove Tupperware).
#ELE-202205 $14.95 (Step 10)
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1831&str=4

PURCHASE:
#DS126 Toggle Switch $1.95 (step 11-A)
http://www.sherco-auto.com/switches.htm

Two round 14 gauge connectors (to battery nut) (Step 11-A)

PepBoys: #FHA200BP ‘Add-A-Circuit’ $8.95 (Step 11-B) http://www.littlefuse.com/searchresults.html?Ntt=FHA200BP

Nine feet of red 14 gauge wire / 9 feet of black 14 gauge wire /
one fuse w/14 gauge wire / 6 foot of Shrink-Wrap

Wire Strippers / electrical tape / phillips head / thin hanger

INSTALLATION:

1) Peel the rubber floorboard cover back to show two screws (where left foot is placed). Take out both screws and the two screws directly above them in the hard plastic. Somehow hold the plastic section open about one inch (possibly w/bungee cord to handle bar) This is only so that you can help the wire go thru the frame at that location.

2) Bend a thin Hanger-Wire straight and feed thru the front Tupperware just under the front headlight and above the tire fender. You will see it (at one inch opening). Help it to fit thru one of the frame openings and feed the Hanger-Wire until it comes out the bottom of the Swing.

3) Get the 9 feet of both red and black wires and slip 6 feet of shrink-wrap over both wires and center the shrink wrap in the middle and heat the shrink wrap. This is to protect the middle section of the wires which will be exposed to weather more than the other.

4) Attach one end of both wires to the Hanger-Wire at the front fairing and carefully pull thru until it comes out the bottom of the Swing just below the one inch opening. Be sure to leave two feet of wire hanging out the front fairing! (I will come back to this later).
5) Detach the Hanger-Wire. Start to carefully feed the Hanger-Wire from just below the battery to where the main wires and one inch opening are.

6) Attach the wires and Hanger-Wire at the one inch opening location, and carefully pull remaining shrink-wrapped wire to just under the battery. (this takes time and patience).

7) There is a hole on the left of the battery. (You can see where all the wires come out from the battery). Feed the main wires up thru this hole and next to the battery (under the seat). Take off the battery cover (one screw) and remove the inside floor covering and place somewhere else.
NOTE: At this point you should have main wires coming out of the front fairing and out by the battery under the seat with the center of the main wires shrink-wrapped, which protects from the weather.
Close up the area where the one inch opening is and screw the four screws back in. The rubber floorboard cover just snaps back into place.

Cool BACK TO THE LEFT FAIRING POCKET: Feed the Hanger-Wire carefully thru the fairing pocket hole until it comes out the front fairing where you have the two foot section of main wires hanging out.

9) CHOICE:
9-A: Attach the main wires to the Hanger-Wire and carefully pull thru the hole in the left fairing pocket. There should be more than enough wire to work with.

9-B: Strip the two main wires and make them into four wires (two red coming off the main red and two black coming off the main black) This will leave you with an extra set of wires to connect to LED lights, etc., sometime in the future. Wrap this section of wires with electrical tape to keep from weather getting to them. Place inside fairing so they will not rattle. Take the other set of wires and follow 9-A directions.

10) When you receive the GL1800 GoldWing 12 volt adapter you will see two things:
It just snaps in place and the SilverWing hole is not large enough.

Cut off the plug & play connector, strip the wires and attach the 12 volt adapter wires to the wires you pulled thru the hole. Use electrical tape. Push some of the connected wires thru the hole. Rasp out the hole with the adapter wires connected.
Rasp out the hole until the 12 volt connected adapter snaps in place. Once the adapter snaps in place, you cannot get it back out, so make sure the wiring is connected first before rasping.

11) BACK UNDER THE SEAT:
Here you have two options in connecting the main wires to a power source.
11-A Use a Toggle Switch. Turns on the adapter when engine is on or off.
11-B Use the ‘Add-A’Circuit’ to easily connect the main red wire to the fuse box. This will result in the 12 volt adapter on only when the ignition is on.
----------------------------
11-A The DS-126 Toggle Switch is excellent because the face plate says ‘OFF’ and ‘ON’ and the screw, screws down the face plate and the unit.
Take off the right back inside panel (just under the light, under seat).
Drill a small hole to the left bottom of panel opening so that two wires can go thru the hole. (When the inside (under seat) floor cover is placed back in, the wires and hole will not show).

Drill another hole to the right of the inside panel, then make hole larger by using larger drill bits each time until the Toggle Switch fits in (from back to front).

Thread the main red wire thru the small hole (under inside panel) and connect directly to back of Toggle Switch. Connect a fused 14 gauge wire with round connector to the Toggle Switch.

Connect another section of additional red wire to the other end of fused 14 gauged wire and thread back thru small hole, continue to the battery and connect to positive battery cable with the round connector. Make sure the fuse is in the fuse holder and put the inside panel back on the side wall.

Just connect the main black wire to the negative battery cable with the round connector.

CHECK TO SEE if 12 volt power adapter works by placing some kind of adapter appliance in the 12 volt adapter socket and throwing the toggle switch “on”.

11-B Connect the main red wire to the blue wire connector on the ‘Add-A-Circuit’ unit. Crimp the end of the blue wire connector. Find the two fuse boxes under the seat, open the box closest to the front of Swing. There should be two open 10 amp slots. Place the Add-A-Circuit in either slot. Put a 5 amp or 7.5 amp (from the box) in the top slot (where the wire comes out). Hook the main black wire to the battery cable with the round connector.
Place a 12 volt appliance in the left fairing pocket 12 volt power socket.
The 12 volt appliance should turn on when you turn the Swing ignition on.
------------------------------
Sorry no pictures currently. Hope these simplified directions help.
Consider these directions as:
Connecting a 12 Volt Power Adapter for DUMMIES!

Summary
This project took me approx. four hours to complete.
If I had these directions when I started, it would have taken me only half the time.

---Tom K from Pittsburgh PA

Last edited by TomK on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Great instructions TonK....
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Hello, Tomk,

I have my 12 volt outlet installed following your instructions. Thank you very much. Life is much easier now.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

The fuses in the silverwing are mini or series 297 type fuses.
The add-a-fuse holder you need is for an ATM type fuse, NOT the ATO type fuse.
Here is an example:
http://inlighting.com/index.php?c=6&n=228013&i=B000GKEXK2&x=Bussmann_BPHHH_ATM_Add_A_Fuse

If you use this one you do not need to carry 2 sizes of fuse.

Also the two spare fuse slots on the front fuse block do not have power to them. So the need to use an Add a fuse adapter. Just pull one of the fuses and insert the Add-a-fuse. Continue as above.

hope this clarifies some parts needed.

MaxB (Industrial Electrician)
Back to top Go down
RVer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: No opening   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Hello all,
I don't see any opening in my left fairing pocket of my 2004 Silver Wing, is this normal for the year I have?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi RVer,

All the U.S. Silverwings come with the hole in the left glove box. They are plugged with a black hole plug.
Back to top Go down
RVer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello Dennis, Went outside and checked, and there it was, don't know how I missed that. I'll start ordering and buying the parts this week.
Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 am

I've decided to bite the bullet and try using this route to feed my Starcom wires to the front.
At the risk of irritating everyone (apologies in advance if I do) I am not sure which is the 1 inch opening in Point 2.

I don't want to poke about in the wrong hole!

Please will someone clarify this for me.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi Mike,

One note of caution: The inside edges of that foot board tube is very sharp. Sharp enough to cut a finger or the wire insulation. After you run the wire, protect it with about 100mm (4") with some of that flexible, split wire protector. Run it down the wires and into the tube opening and secure it with a small tie rap.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Many thanks for the warning and tip, Dennis; I shall either get some of the wire-protector you suggest or split some flexible plastic tube I already have and wrap it with gaffer-tape.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Any clues about the 1-inch hole? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 1:26 pm

I just found these instructions but the links are old and wouldn't open. Does anyone still have the pictures for the installation? I would very much appreciate it.

Frank
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm

All you need to do is Copy & Paste the relevent bits into a Google search;

For example: Honda GL1800 GoldWing Plug & Play Fairing Pocket Install 12 Volt Adapter.

The search will bring up the part and places when you can buy them.

I did it for the switch and add-a-circuit, too. Both these are available on Amazon.com .
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Thank you. Will the information work for the Silver Wing too?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 5:41 pm

The socket required for the Silverwing is the one fitted to the Goldwing.
That's the one you need.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 5:44 pm

Great. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Pleasure; good luck!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 3:23 pm

Just going to add onto this thread rather than start a new one. I notice the GoldWing socket is labeled as 3A (3 amp I assume) on the weather cover. Is that it because that's pretty paltry.

Second, for North American SWings without the factory installed 12v socket, is there a wire harness plug (likely female?) dangling somewhere inside the fairing for a plug 'n play process or does one need to configure their own power source to the 12v plug?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Nothing extra on my 05, if I were to add something extra it's own fused direct from the battery would be my way and I like running the small wires through oxygen tubing to prevent possible chaffing and shorting.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 8:01 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
(Snip)... for North American SWings without the factory installed 12v socket, is there a wire harness plug (likely female?) dangling somewhere inside the fairing for a plug 'n play process or does one need to configure their own power source to the 12v plug?

Only FJS and JDM versions have the factory accessory outlet. So you’ll need to wire up your own. And to be true to form you can use G and Br/G wiring with G going to ground and the Br/G hot wire fed off empty fuse location “F”.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Only FJS and JDM versions have the factory accessory outlet.

What is the JDM version Timothy? I'm only aware of the UK and Europe FJS, and the North American FSC versions of the Silver Wing. Then the face lifted SW–T versions that neither the US, Canada, or the UK got before the Silver Wing was finally discontinued in 2016.

From picking my way through German maxi scooter mags, I got the impression that the SW-T Silver Wing no longer had a 12v socket fitted. It's also interesting that when you look at the features on some of the latest maxi scooters, the 12v plug in socket has been replaced by a USB one.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 5:31 am

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

IIRC the Asian market version(s) had, among other differences, 32gm variator weights and some cockamamie gate valve thing on the exhaust header.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 7:26 am

On the US version FSC's there is no install pigtail. But when I installed the kit above on my GL1800 (Goldwing) there was a neat pigtail that all I had to do was connect...  Sweet. Too bad Honda did not do that for the scooters.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 12:48 pm

Hello, just used this method. Started last night, wasn't making sense, was pulling the bike apart more than the instructions said to. Closed up the garage, went to bed, read the instructions and it made sense! Took about 3 hrs., total this morning, including clean-up, put tools away, etc. To clarify, I used this method to mount my Garmin GPS unit. Thanks for the instructions! Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware   12 Volt Power Install without removing Tupperware I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1