Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 11:44 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

12 Volt Outlet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

12 Volt Outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Outlet   12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 10:06 am

sonuvabug wrote:
I also have a complete, post 2006 dash panel, with the much desired black textured finish including the cubby lids etc.  In fact, it already has the 12v outlet installed in the left hand cubby and a rheostat installed in front for hand/seat/clothing warming devices.   You can drop me a PM and let me know if you're interested in any of the above.

Good Luck with your repairs.  ~ BugJr ~

Not to Hijack this topic, but what 12V outlet did you use? I got hold of an excellent quality (~$20) Goldwing outlet which was supposed to fit our Silverwing. It fit the hole fine but the screw-on collar which secures the fixture from the front side wouldn’t fit b/c it hit the bump out wall for that fixture location. IIRC the official FJS outlet part # is either unavailable in North America or prohibitively expensive.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

12 Volt Outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Outlet   12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 10:23 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
... snipped ... what 12V outlet did you use?

I don't know Sir. It was already installed when I bought the setup from Dan S. Let me know if you want me to head over to my storage area and dig around to take a look.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

12 Volt Outlet Empty
PostSubject: 12 Volt Outlet   12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 10:54 am

No need to make a special trip. But if you’re there for some better reason, take a peek and see what you find.
Back to top Go down
GaryC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2020-08-26

12 Volt Outlet Empty
PostSubject: 12 Volt Outlet   12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
sonuvabug wrote:
I also have a complete, post 2006 dash panel, with the much desired black textured finish including the cubby lids etc.  In fact, it already has the 12v outlet installed in the left hand cubby and a rheostat installed in front for hand/seat/clothing warming devices.   You can drop me a PM and let me know if you're interested in any of the above.

Good Luck with your repairs.  ~ BugJr ~

Not to Hijack this topic, but what 12V outlet did you use? I got hold of an excellent quality (~$20) Goldwing outlet which was supposed to fit our Silverwing. It fit the hole fine but the screw-on collar which secures the fixture from the front side wouldn’t fit b/c it hit the bump out wall for that fixture location. IIRC the official FJS outlet part # is either unavailable in North America or prohibitively expensive.

Cosmic_Jumper, the socket I used is BikeMaster 15-1668 Power Outlet Socket 12V/15A. I obtained it from Fortnine.ca for $9.98 Cdn; I'm sure you can find it many places in the USA. I really like this socket because it is mostly plastic and well sealed to eliminate any water entry/corrosion. I had a lot of fun with this unit because it wouldn't fit the factory-provided hole, even after I enlarged it to 1" with a Greenlee panel punch. The smooth part at the wire end just entered the hole but the threads interferred, as expected. There was no way the retaining nut was going to fit because of limited space on the back-side of the access port. I tried forcing the threads on the socket to cut threads into the back of the pocket but stopped when I felt I'd just destroy the socket's threads, which would definitely have happened. Then I went on a merry chase to find out exactly what type and size of thread the socket used. BikeMaster still hasn't asnwered that enquiry but I measured that the threads were 12 tpi. I convinced myself that the threads were SAE O-Ring Boss 1-1/16"-12 and went to a hydraulic shop to buy a plug fitting that I could convert into a "poor-man's tap". There I met a machinist who determined that I was actually dealing with 1-1/8"-12 National Fine screw threads. I was then able to pick up a 4" x 1-1/8"-12 steel bolt from a fastener specialty shop (quite a rare item), then ground the tip down to a shallow taper and cut 4 grooves with a hacksaw. The taper allowed the tip to enter the hole and a very large metric socket (46mm) and 1/2" ratchet wrench allowed me to cut the threads. The most difficult part was holding the glove box assembly while trying to keep the "tap" square. As it turned out, the threads weren't perfectly perpendicular but good enough to screw the socket all the way down. I'm very pleased with the result:

12 Volt Outlet P1020914
Can plug in 12V accessory and close pocket lid competely; I was worried that skewed threading might not allow this but I lucked out.
12 Volt Outlet P1020913
Very tight fitting, so doubt any water will enter but that's to be seen. I could have applied some thread sealer; sigh!
12 Volt Outlet P1020915
This is the 1-1/8"x4"-12 National Fine Screw Thread bolt I converted for one time use; very easy to make by grinding taper section on tip and then cutting grooves with either a hacksaw (my choice, for control) or a thin grinding wheel. The nut seen is the plastic retaining nut that is normally used to hold the socket in place in a slightly oversized hole; it wouldn't fit on my Silverwing, so I eliminated the need for it by tapping the access hole.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

12 Volt Outlet Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 Volt Outlet   12 Volt Outlet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12 Volt Outlet
Page 1 of 1