Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

changing oil for the new season

Go down 
+2
honda_silver
tankyuong
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

changing oil for the new season Empty
PostSubject: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:25 pm

10-40w or 10-30w? and also 2.25quarts of oil capacity?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 pm

tankyuong wrote:
10-40w or 10-30w? and also 2.25quarts of oil capacity?

I have a copy of the Honda Owner Manual for the oil ... I run 10W-40 year round.

changing oil for the new season Oil

Last edited by honda_silver on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 pm

I use a synthetic 10-40W for my bike. I don't worry too much about how much to put in since I check it quite a few times as I am filling it. After I ride around the block and then let it sit for about 5 mins, I will check it again and top it off if I need to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:31 am

Use the grade that you feel best with. Oil, like tires and insurance is one of those flash topics and most everyone has an opinion about which is best. Even though these are very much subjective choices and are influenced by personal criteria.

Best thing you can do is follow the OEM recommendations grade and change frequency) and check the oil level often.

I already know that changing the oil and filter every 2,000 miles is the best thing to do for the engine life.

I already know that changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles is the best thing to do for the engine life.

I already know that changing the oil and filter every 3,500 miles is the best thing to do for the engine life.

I already know that changing the oil and filter every 4,000 miles is the best thing to do for the engine life.

I already know that changing oil and using a synthetic is the best thing to do for the engine life.

I already know that changing oil and using a synthetic blend is the best thing to do for the engine life.

I already know that changing oil and using dino oil is the best thing to do for the engine life.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 12:52 am

Dale... No... Actually, I have found the 3,321.2 mile interval is best. changing oil for the new season Icon_twisted

(Actually... it's Saturday nite and I have way too much time on my hands... I better hit the sack.)
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 am

I had heard that, but if I remember correctly it is actually 3,321.34 miles and is only applicable with certain brands and applies more to the filter than the oil.

tankyuong,

You should be able to get by fine on 10w-40 and as for capacity:
If you are changing the oil and filter it is 2.3 quarts, oil only - 2.1 quarts.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am

Way back in my earlier life, I read a service bulletin that reported that changing the oil filter is the ONLY necessary step in keeping an engine clean. I never had the guts to try it, but the article was serious and if I remember correctly, stated that oil never "wears out" it only gets dirty. SO, changing the filter often would keep the "dirt" and contaminates out. I change the oil in the scoot a lot more frequently than I think it really needs, but, it just feels good to do it. What else is there to do around here? I really hate to go that last .34 miles unprotected.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 am

Gary,

It is really all about piece of mind, so change away!

Oil does get played out, heat will cause it to scorch and that will degrade it. Additionally most oil (detergents) contain molecular properties that enable it to bond with unburned hydrocarbons. These bonds while numerous, will eventually become depleted and the oil will lose its "detergent" capability.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Dale, that does make sense. As I said, I never tested the suggestion. Gonna change mine in the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Decided to do the google for more information... Dale it sounds like you have read this already. Good job.

Sorry DickO... you are breaking the law with that extra 321.34 miles...
the oil police may be calling on you as we speak.

http://www.thecarguy.com/articles/oilchang.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: changing oil for the new season   changing oil for the new season I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

changing oil for the new season
Page 1 of 1