Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:55 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Exhaust paint

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
Yusepe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-10-20

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 7:28 pm

Hi riders,

I'm attempting to paint the exhaust, and I would greatly appreciate advice from experts.

I'm currently working on removing the corrosion before painting.

Here's the condition it was in initially:
Exhaust paint Img_2013

And here it is after brushing:
Exhaust paint Img_2014

My question is, should I remove all these small dark areas before painting? The color doesn't seem to be rust; does anyone know if it's old paint that would provide good adhesion for the new paint? it's taking me quite a long time to get down to the bare metal, I using a drill with a wire brush attachment.

Here's a close-up view of what I mean:
Exhaust paint Img_2015
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 9:03 pm

Honest answer: I suspect with that degree of rust (and I do suspect the brown is rust actually), if you try to smooth it all out pre-paint, you may wind up with a lot of holes in the muffler wall (those raised areas may be indicators of severe corrosion in the muffler wall). It may be a better idea to forego this any maybe get an aftermarket exhaust, like a Delkevic.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 9:08 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Honest answer: I suspect with that degree of rust (and I do suspect the brown is rust actually), if you try to smooth it all out pre-paint, you may wind up with a lot of holes in the muffler wall (those raised areas may be indicators of severe corrosion in the muffler wall). It may be a better idea to forego this any maybe get an aftermarket exhaust, like a Delkevic.

affraid

If I paint over it, wouldn't it adhere?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 9:11 pm

Yusepe wrote:
Erdoc48 wrote:

affraid

Answer is yes (use high temp primer first before topcoat of high temp exhaust paint), but it won’t be smooth and likely rust will eventually come through again.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 9:15 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Yusepe wrote:
Erdoc48 wrote:

affraid

Answer is yes (use high temp primer first before topcoat of high temp exhaust paint), but it won’t be smooth and likely rust will eventually come through again.

I haven't seen high-temperature primer. I would be using this one that indicates it can be used on bare metal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Extreme-Heat-Black-400ml/dp/B000LDA3Q2?th=1
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2023 5:18 am

TBH the only way your going to know if the muffler is worth saving is to take a flap wheel grinding disc to the rough corrosion and smooth it flat.
This will show up any perforations(pin holes) and also prepare the surface for a re-paint.
I have had very good results on all types of exhaust pipes using a Simoniz Matt VHT silver/black paint protects up to 800 C, available from Halfords(UK shop).
It comes in a spray can form, no need for a primer, and can be applied with a brush for seamless results. Just remember to give it a very good shake up before use. Clean brush after use with a brake cleaner spray.

Exhaust paint 20230316
Exhaust paint 20230315

I did my Swing headers almost 9 months ago, still no sign of discoloration or burning.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2023 6:09 am

Thanks JohnyC.

I only have a drill with a brush, I was thinking to buy something like that:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8828875

Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2023 8:06 am

Hi Yusepe.

Get yourself around to Lidls (UK) they have an angle grinder on offer for £25:00

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/parkside-angle-grinder/p373563?pageId=10027674&tabCode=Current_Sales_Week

and then around to Toolstation(UK) for a
https://www.toolstation.com/rhodius-zirconium-flap-disc-115-x-222mm/p13784

Total cost less then £30.

You can do so much more with a grinder than a sander.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!

Ps. be gentle with the grinder until you get used to using it, always choose the highest grit available. The disc I listed is an 80 grit or a 120 if they list it.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2023 10:58 am

JohnyC wrote:
Hi Yusepe.

Get yourself around to Lidls (UK) they have an angle grinder on offer for £25:00

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/parkside-angle-grinder/p373563?pageId=10027674&tabCode=Current_Sales_Week

and then around to Toolstation(UK) for a
https://www.toolstation.com/rhodius-zirconium-flap-disc-115-x-222mm/p13784

Total cost less then £30.

You can do so much more with a grinder than a sander.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!

Ps. be gentle with the grinder until you get used to using it, always choose the highest grit available. The disc I listed is an 80 grit or a 120 if they list it.

Thank you, JohnyC. That's excellent advice from a financial perspective.

Since it's taking me quite a while to complete that job, and painting requires a sunny day with temperatures exceeding 20 degrees, I'm leaning towards purchasing the Delkevic exhaust. In the meantime, I'll invest more time in fixing the original exhaust, and perhaps later I can sell it to recoup some of the expenses.

My motorcycle is my sole and primary means of transportation here in a small village in the UK therefor I have to finish ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Havit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-04-24

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 3:49 am

This is for anyone how wishes to paint an exhaust. I have a few bikes and have painted down pipes as well as exhausts. The best way is to use spray paint for Wood stoves .
I always heat up the metal before spraying . I find by doing this, it stops the paint cracking due to heat expansion.
Back to top Go down
Bigboymikeprice1703
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-09-06

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust    Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 4:35 am

I put an aftermarket exhaust on mine looks and sounds good
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 8:33 pm

All good ideas. Personally, I would block sand with maybe a 180 wet dry sandpaper, doing it wet, then use BBQ hi temp by Rus-Oleum spray paint. It looks like you will be painting the inside so as long as the paint works and it will, then, you should be happy with the results. I was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Exhaust paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust paint   Exhaust paint I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust paint
Page 1 of 1