Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? Empty
PostSubject: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 2:08 am

so i have been slowly restoring the cosmetics of my silvering 05
ive replaced the handlebars, the dash, instrument cluster, the front and the trunk. now when it comes to the mid body footrest its not damaged but the paint is chipped and ugly i was wondering if i should strip the paint and re pant it or replace the entire mid section. i dont have a place to paint it safely though.
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 5:12 am

Hello XDM,

I successfully painted the rear grab-handle on my scoot with a rattle can.

Preparation is everything...……..and patience.

If the chips are deep try filling them in with what's called 'stoppers' over here. It's a kind of putty in a small tube.

Use a couple of grades of wet and dry sanding paper to feather out the filled chips before using a primer over the whole unit with a fine grade paper.

Prime and paint indoors where your keep the scoot...….with the door open for ventilation, but don't have the machine in a draught, which would have a detrimental affect on the spraying action.

Others here will agree that you will find your colour (or very very close to it) in a DIY store and certainly in a goods parts store. Be sure to bring the foot rest with you for matching

Light 'mist' coats, and build up with a few coats...………..again patience, patience, patience.

It's not laborious, but you can't rush it.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 am

Donie wrote:
Hello XDM,

I successfully painted the rear grab-handle on my scoot with a rattle can.

Preparation is everything...……..and patience.

If the chips are deep try filling them in with what's called 'stoppers' over here. It's a kind of putty in a small tube.

Use a couple of grades of wet and dry sanding paper to feather out the filled chips before using a primer over the whole unit with a fine grade paper.

Prime and paint indoors where your keep the scoot...….with the door open for ventilation, but don't have the machine in a draught, which would have a detrimental affect on the spraying action.

Light 'mist' coats, and build up with a few coats...………..again patience, patience patience.

well its more like surface level peeling, no dents or cracks. (those are from 2019 the peeling is worse now)

Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? Img_2013
Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? Img_2014
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 5:45 am

Hello XDM,

That's an entirely different situation.

I thought you were referring to the pillion foot-rest.

That is obviously caused by footwear while stepping through the scoot to move off.

You could probably make it less noticeable by using a car detailing compound which brings the black lustre back to plastics, but if you want if near flawless you might be better trying to find the plastics in a breakers.

Scuff marks are always visible on Silverwings in the region of the fuel filler area because most of us 'Swingers' are advanced in years, and subsequently our ability to clear that area with our right foot, when mounting, is somewhat diminished.

An auto paint shop could likely do a good job on painting it with bumper paint. but it's not a task for an ordinary DIYer, where you might be expecting to achieve an original look.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 6:02 am

It looks as if some previous owner “painted” the tunnel with some product which is now chipping.

My 2¢: First I’d remove the tunnel sand it with fine sandpaper paying particular attention to those areas. Then after a thorough cleaning I’d use “Forever Black“ restorer kit (Less than $20).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyVMxdUx3w

Or you could replace the entire tunnel (Floor Step) ~$170.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 am

I've had good results using Son of a Gun (from STP) .....

https://www.stp.com/products/appearance-products/son-of-a-gun-protectant/
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
It looks as if some previous owner “painted” the tunnel with some product which is now chipping.

My 2¢: First I’d remove the tunnel sand it with fine sandpaper paying particular attention to those areas. Then after a thorough cleaning I’d use “Forever Black“ restorer kit (Less than $20).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyVMxdUx3w

Or you could replace the entire tunnel (Floor Step) ~$170.

hmmm that forever black looks cool, i might try that. If it comes in other colors i MIGHT go custom on it Laughing
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Son of a Gun is as product I well remember from 25 or more years ago, but seems to have lost it's way, in my neck of the woods, to other newer products.

I must see if I can get it direct because it always worked remarkably well.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 5:44 pm

Donie wrote:
Son of a Gun is as product I well remember from 25 or more years ago, but seems to have lost it's way, in my neck of the woods, to other newer products.

I must see if I can get it direct because it always worked remarkably well.

that looks like something to protect against chipping BEFORE damage and AFTER repair. my paint is already shot, ill have to apply that after i fix my paint
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Repaint it.  Nothing is going to restore that surface.   Sand it and repaint.  Found this wrinkle paint that might look good. Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? Paint10
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 4:48 pm

I'm having going to try forever black after I sand it and if not I'll paint it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?   Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chipped paint on middle (footrest). paint or replace?
Page 1 of 1