Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition Switch
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby POCAHONTAS Yesterday at 6:45 pm

» Lift Without A Lift
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 5:25 pm

» LED Headlights
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» 2003 ABS Silverwing re fresh
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Fri Oct 25, 2024 5:00 am

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs

Go down 
+5
Delray
JohnyC
Loosemarbles
zrx212
Cosmic_Jumper
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2023 9:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Basketball

So.. got your attention have I ?

For the last 2 weeks I have been experimenting with "Strapadicktome" commercial tuning items for my 09 Swing.

Disclaimer... this is my personal journey in to modifying my scooter. It is not a lesson in how to do it and I will not be held responsible for any one copying or messing up their scooter!

That said I do have rather a surprise.

Based on the mods I did to my first scooter, a 1999 Suzuki Burgman an 400.... New belt, DrPulley 26g rollers, and a carb tune up.
BTW, changing the rollers was an amazing upgrade and so worth the difference in performance with little loss in economy.

To set the stage a bit of infill is needed. on acquiring the Swing I decided to strip down the CVT(19.5Kmls on the clock) to "have a look", I also removed the driven clutch assembly to look at the clutch plates.Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 20221211Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 20221212

As you can see from the picture the needle bearing in the rear was looking rather black, so I acquired a replacement to fit when the Malossi spring arrived.
I was unable to find a seller for Dr.Pulley rollers for a Swing but I did find TechPulley Flying rollers 26g, apparently same gene pool father and son.
Once fitted it was off to test them...Drive engagement RPM rose from 2000 to 2500 over stock rollers. I was most disappointed, yes there was an improvement in acceleration but no where near the same level of difference as the Burgman and it was too buzzy/revy around town(Goldwing economy) poor. Also as others had noted the odd chirp/squeek from the CVT when you hooned it. I also fitted a Booster Plug fuel injection device but I have already sung about it's virtues in a previous post reply. *(Link to Booster Plug info below)
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 20230115
A few pictures on replacing the driven plate Contra spring.
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 20230116
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 Clutch10
Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 20230117
The needle roller bearing can either be knocked out with a suitable long screwdriver(if it's not being kept) from the other end or use a blind puller 27mm.
I used my clamp system to push the new bearing in with a socket WARNING.....THERE IS NO BLIND STOP FOR THIS BEARING(SEE PICTURE) so push gently, I went maybe 2.5mm to far but the bearing has spare land on the shaft both ways but I will keep an eye on it until the blind puller turns up to correct things.
The threaded bar for the clamp is standard 12mm high tensile threaded bar cut to the appropriate size, it has to compress 7" into less than 4"to remove the circlip holding the spring on.

Time for another test ride ooh, drive engagement is now 3000rps and it goes up the road like a cat on fire, great for the traffic light Grand pre or the drag strip but watch the fuel gauge fall

* https://www.silverwing600.com/t11352-booster-plug?highlight=“Booster”
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 14, 2023 12:51 am

While compressing the white spring, Honda shows the sheaves spread with the belt as deep as possible between. It is hard to conceptualize but Honda's intention seems to me to cause reduced interference between spring and nylon collar. The outer sheave twists a little in relation to the inner sheave and that causes the spring to spread and close, spread and close. Admittedly, it is slight. Without having a clutch in front of me Honda's purpose is even more confusing. But I always do it their way.
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-06-01

PostSubject: Malossi Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 10:24 am

Is this the correct spring for the silverwing? It did not say17Kgs

https://scooterpartsco.com/100-malossi-master-part-list-c-170_180/malossi-contra-spring-for-honda-silverwing-600-white-p-1038.html

Thank You
Ernie
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 2:06 pm

The page for your link states that the spring is for the Silverwing. You could email them if you really need to know the pressure rating.

I installed a white spring because it is recommended by some people. I really could not detect a difference. I am now riding a Honda CTX700 with auto transmission but the Silverwing is my all-time favorite small bike.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Hi arboroaks.

As the original poster of the article with reference to Malossi White 17Kgs I would say yes you have the right spring(commonly called a "Malossi White"), if it was a different weight it would be a different colour
Says all things Malossi racing in Italy. They take scooter racing to a whole different level!
Thier view, and I agree with, when they say it's the spring Honda should have fitted as stock.
And the first "go to" mod for a Swing before messing with rollers or sliders or different makes of variator.

Hope this helps

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi White Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 3:19 pm

Ok Just ordered
Cost $32.96 delivered not bad
Hoping to help with belt slap
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Hi arboroaks.

Couple of questions. Ref. "belt slap"

You didn't say what your milage is, as a point of reference for spring sag, and I'm assuming Std. Rollers 28gs, and you have a new belt, just awaiting the white spring?

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi White Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 4:46 pm

I have a 2008 with 16,400 miles
Changed the drive belt at 15,800miles with the step by step
instructions from this forum and replaced the rollers with the original from Honda, belt also
factory Honda.

Purchased the scooter a couple of years ago and had been sitting for around 7 years.
Had a shop pull gas tank clean out replace fuel filter and fuel pump
and she cranked right up.

Recently replaced front disc pads air  cleaner and spark plugs.

She starts and runs great.

Thanks for all the help
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 9:42 am

Replacing with Malossi white Spring
When you remove the nut that holds the Clutch/Driven pulley on
will the assemply pull off and then what?

Sorry but not clear on how it is done

Thank You
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 11:14 am

If I'm reading you right arboroaks, once you have removed the nut which holds the entire assembly onto the shaft you just pull it towards you, away and off. The entire pulley will come away with the clutch assembly behind it. Careful, it's a heavy lump of gear.

BTW, when you come to put the assembly back on again, the nut which holds the assembly to the shaft only needs 40lb/ft of torque. It doesn't sound much but that's all it needs.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Hi arboroaks.

Loosemarbels(Chris) is correct, but I would also add, with the clutch removed give the clutch drum(bell) a roughing up with emery cloth just to remove the shine. Wash all parts clean after with brake cleaner.

Hope this helps too.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi White Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 4:50 pm

Thanks to all for the help.
I shouild be good to go

Ernie
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi White Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2024 1:38 pm

Ok I thought I had it all figured out.
I  remove everything including the belt, but could not determine the size socket to remove
the nut holding the clutch/drive pulley. tried a 25mm socket but it would not fit in the hole where the nut
is.
Am I using the wrong size socket or what?
I do not have a full set of large diameter MM sockets , but will purchase what is
needed.
I guess I was not good to go

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2024 4:40 pm

I believe that nut is 16mm. In any case you'll need a fairly large range of sockets if want to DIY your SW.
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi White Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2024 4:56 pm

Thank you
Found it to be a 22mm
It came right off
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2024 3:44 am

Yes, of course it's 22mm. I now remember buying a slightly extended 22mm socket for it.

I really shouldn't comment on stuff while in bed with my cup of cocoa!
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Malossi White Spring   Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2024 8:11 pm

I completed the Malossi White Spring install a couple of days ago.
Driven about 120 miles & it is running very well.

It seems to be a bit faster, but no evidence to back this up.
I like it so, that is all that matters to me.

Thanks to all for the help!!!

Ernie

Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 12:46 pm

Hi Ernie.

The purpose of the Malossi spring is to keep the driven plate in a lower gearing position until the Driving variator has reached maximum expansion. Or in plain English, it increases the acceleration rate, so quicker of the line.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
arboroaks
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs    Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Thanks for the explanation.
As I stated it does seem faster.

Before installing the side panels
I started the swing on the center stand.
While accelerating up and down you could
see the new spring compress. Cool to watch

Thanks again
Ernie
Back to top Go down

Malossi (white) Contra spring 17Kgs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2