Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and PLEASE GIVE US THE COURTESY of introducing yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun.
 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Quest to reduce lower back issues.
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Starter won't turn over
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» December 2022 Forum Pic
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby P-21179 Yesterday at 6:18 am

» Hi from Barcelona
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby Chupakabras Yesterday at 4:40 am

» what grade of fuel does everyone use?
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby johnd Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:42 pm

» Repair handlebar fairings
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:02 am

» Hello from Liverpool
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm

» ABS Light Fail To Extinguish First Time Around
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 am

» It's Too Loud
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:36 am

» Speedometer lights and onboard buttons not working
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeby MUCHoldERwingguy Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:55 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
 

 My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...

Go down 
+6
johnd
Chris Olson
Dale N.
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
dovahkiin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 40
Location : SG
Points : 267
Registration date : 2022-05-09

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 2:34 am

After 5 months of fixing my poor girl up, it has finally died on me..

I noticed brown liquid pouring from the left side of my Swing. Also noticed the overheating light bulb on as well. I thought I could manage by riding it slowly to my regular workshop 20km away. Unfortunately, by the time I reached the workshop, all I could hear was knocking, harsh engine vibrations, and a plume of white, sweet-smelling smoke engulfing my Swing.

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Swing10
My Silverwing at the workshop. By then it has stopped spewing white smoke from the engine area.

Figured maybe a coolant rubber hose broke somewhere suddenly as well. I am sure I messed up my engine gaskets and will probably have to do a full top overhaul. Here's to hoping my pistons didn't overheat...

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Cb40010
An old, but reasonably reliable CB400 SF from the 90s. Not used to its somewhat aggressive seating posture. But am fortunate that the workshop rented it to me a discounted price.

While it lays in the workshop for spare parts, a Honda CB400 will do for now. Am very much missing the comfort of a Swing and gah, the immense storage spaces...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper


Number of posts : 4308
Age : 79
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 9907
Registration date : 2009-06-12

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 12:17 pm

Shocked Gulp… this is not good. Happy to hear that you were able to limp to the shop. Hopefully the issues won’t be too budget-shattering to resolve.

Please keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa


Number of posts : 1320
Location : Allentown PA.
Points : 3944
Registration date : 2016-01-02

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 8:27 pm

Sorry to hear that you should have parked it and not kept riding. Overheating an engine does a lot of damage to internals knocking not a good thing bearing damage. Have them check the compression first if very low don't put money in it better off with a used engine.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.


Number of posts : 1915
Age : 76
Location : Princeton, MN
Points : 5262
Registration date : 2014-02-13

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 8:13 am

That sucks big time!! I really enjoy riding my SWing and don't know what I'd do if that happened to me.
Good Luck on it not being too costly and too far gone to repair.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson


Number of posts : 240
Age : 62
Location : Barron, Wisconsin
Points : 3357
Registration date : 2014-06-22

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 10:57 am

Unfortunately, internal engine parts for the Silver Wing engines are no longer available from Honda. So if it has internal engine damage it is unlikely it can be repaired and will need a donor engine.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert



Number of posts : 520
Age : 74
Location : Santa Barbara California
Points : 5330
Registration date : 2010-02-01

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: E bay.   My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 11:49 am

Ebay might be the only way it fix tour scooter.
More often than not, just swapping out the motor is much less expensive than paying labor to teardown and inspect and repair. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
delivryboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 4
Location : Port Orchard, WA
Points : 2360
Registration date : 2016-06-25

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 1:13 pm

This is my first post, I've been watching a long time, but felt I should answer this post. I know of a $500 parts bike complete minus the front plastics. Near Seattle, WA for shipping concerns. I know nothing more about it but am trying to make contact.
Back to top Go down
Garyloos
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 7
Location : West Lafayette, Ohio
Points : 75
Registration date : 2022-10-02

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 3:55 pm

Sorry to heR of you scooter troubles.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 40
Location : SG
Points : 267
Registration date : 2022-05-09

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 11:36 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I hope to get an update on my Swing repairs by the end of this week.

Just dropping a photo of my Swing stripped down to its engine. The mechanic working on it is the same mechanic who helped me to rebuild my starter motor back in mid-May.

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Swing_14

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Sorry to hear that you should have parked it and not kept riding.  Overheating an engine does a lot of damage to internals knocking not a good thing bearing damage. Have them check the compression first if very low don't put money in it better off with a used engine.


Chris Olson wrote:
Unfortunately, internal engine parts for the Silver Wing engines are no longer available from Honda. So if it has internal engine damage it is unlikely it can be repaired and will need a donor engine.

johnd wrote:
Ebay might be the only way it fix tour scooter.
More often than not, just swapping out the motor is much less expensive than paying labor to teardown and inspect and repair.  Good luck.

delivryboy wrote:
This is my first post, I've been watching a long time, but felt I should answer this post. I know of a $500 parts bike complete minus the front plastics. Near Seattle, WA for shipping concerns. I know nothing more about it but am trying to make contact.

Unfortunately, I am not able to do this in my country, Singapore.

Vehicle ownership here is rather tedious; you can't simply swap out engines as and when you like. Every engine's chassis number is tied to the number plate assigned to the vehicle. When my Certificate of Entitlement (COE; a rather expensive piece of paper to allow me to ride on Singapore roads) expires, I will have the option to either extend and continue riding... or scrap the Swing.

Of course, if I ever have to go down the latter, I will salvage the parts that can be salvaged i.e. pillion foot pegs, body parts, air filter, tires, head lamp cowl etc..
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson


Number of posts : 240
Age : 62
Location : Barron, Wisconsin
Points : 3357
Registration date : 2014-06-22

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 7:28 am

dovahkiin wrote:
Vehicle ownership here is rather tedious; you can't simply swap out engines as and when you like. Every engine's chassis number is tied to the number plate assigned to the vehicle. When my Certificate of Entitlement (COE; a rather expensive piece of paper to allow me to ride on Singapore roads) expires, I will have the option to either extend and continue riding... or scrap the Swing

Ridiculous. Do the people that run this system live in the dark ages? The vehicle VIN or serial number should be tied to the registration and title, not the engine. The engine is a replaceable service item. Manufacturers (thru their authorized dealers) replace entire engine assemblies under warranty all the time when they experience a warrantable failure or defect. In most cases it's cheaper for the manufacturer to replace an engine assembly under warranty than it is to pay warranty labor to repair it, plus engineering wants the failed engine back under warranty return so they can analyze the failure.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 40
Location : SG
Points : 267
Registration date : 2022-05-09

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 8:19 am

Chris Olson wrote:
dovahkiin wrote:
Vehicle ownership here is rather tedious; you can't simply swap out engines as and when you like. Every engine's chassis number is tied to the number plate assigned to the vehicle. When my Certificate of Entitlement (COE; a rather expensive piece of paper to allow me to ride on Singapore roads) expires, I will have the option to either extend and continue riding... or scrap the Swing

Ridiculous. Do the people that run this system live in the dark ages? The vehicle VIN or serial number should be tied to the registration and title, not the engine. The engine is a replaceable service item. Manufacturers (thru their authorized dealers) replace entire engine assemblies under warranty all the time when they experience a warrantable failure or defect. In most cases it's cheaper for the manufacturer to replace an engine assembly under warranty than it is to pay warranty labor to repair it, plus engineering wants the failed engine back under warranty return so they can analyze the failure.


Apologies for the misinformation; I technically can, but there's so much red tape surrounding engine swapping with the transport authorities and there isn't much information locally on it as well.

Would like to share this link on Certificates of Entitlement in case anyone is interested in learning how vehicle ownership works in Singapore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Entitlement
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper


Number of posts : 4308
Age : 79
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 9907
Registration date : 2009-06-12

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 11:56 am

dovahkiin wrote:
(Snip) I technically can, but there's so much red tape surrounding engine swapping with the transport authorities and there isn't much information locally on it as well.

Would like to share this link on Certificates of Entitlement in case anyone is interested in learning how vehicle ownership works in Singapore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Entitlement

Holy cow! With Singapore’s population density at ~22,000 people per square mile, slightly less than that of NYC, it is understandable that they’d have some stringent vehicle registration requirements.

And not that metro Los Angeles is anywhere near that population density but given California’s environmental challenges it seems as if they might be on the way toward similar motor vehicle constraints.

Yes, that Certificate of Entitlement is worth a read.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson


Number of posts : 240
Age : 62
Location : Barron, Wisconsin
Points : 3357
Registration date : 2014-06-22

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 12:24 pm

It doesn't make sense that a government that would set up such a licensing scheme would not realize that the engine of the vehicle (no matter what it is) is a service replacement item if it fails. Typical with all kinds of governments, they can dream up elaborate and complicated schemes that ignore the basics of practicality.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Loosemarbles


Number of posts : 1212
Age : 61
Location : South East England
Points : 3607
Registration date : 2016-10-01

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2022 3:56 pm

Wow, those regulations made my head spin! I'd have to seriously consider taking the bus!

Aah... But that's exactly what they would expect me to do... Suspect
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert



Number of posts : 915
Location : Teesdale, UK
Points : 3386
Registration date : 2016-05-15

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 2:16 am

It's always interesting to see how different places and cultures deal with different problems.
I'm still amazed how most of the world manages driving on the wrong side of the road 😆
Back to top Go down
Online
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert



Number of posts : 520
Age : 74
Location : Santa Barbara California
Points : 5330
Registration date : 2010-02-01

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 9:54 am

I suppose someone is charging a tax or something like that and the money going to fix the roads?
To me red tape means exactly that.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 40
Location : SG
Points : 267
Registration date : 2022-05-09

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Wow, those regulations made my head spin! I'd have to seriously consider taking the bus!

Aah... But that's exactly what they would expect me to do... Suspect

The government here highly encourages taking public transportation. Fortunately, it's considered "world-class" and it's quite reliable.

johnd wrote:
I suppose someone is charging a tax or something like that and the money going to fix the roads?
To me red tape means exactly that.

Yes, you can assume the COE to be a sort of tax that's renewable every 10 years. I'd say it's a lucrative revenue stream for the government. Thankfully, the roads here aren't dotted with potholes, so at least we know where part of that tax money went to.

Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 40
Location : SG
Points : 267
Registration date : 2022-05-09

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 3:04 am

Regardless, great news! I've finally got my Swing back from the workshop. Spent a total of SGD600 (That's USD422).

Not exactly sure what was done (the workshop's boss was not in, and the mechanic who magically got my Swing back in tip-top shape left already) but I'd imagine the following was done:

- replacement of head gasket
- replacement of coolant hose
- coolant change (expected)
- full synthetic engine oil (expected and definitely overdue)
- labour (I dropped my Swing off at the workshop on Thursday; the mechanic worked on it through the weekend)

I've also noticed that the mechanic who worked on my Swing also helped to tighten my brakes. That is something I did not tell him about but it was an issue I had grown used to. If anything, I thought that was pretty solid "value-added service".

I'm dropping by later to get the receipt from the boss of the workshop. I'm just very thankful that the same mechanic who troubleshooted and repaired my starter motor within 2 1/2 hours in front of my eyes managed to work his magic and get my dear Swing up and running again. Definitely owe that man a drink!

Time for a long overdue bike wash now...
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Loosemarbles


Number of posts : 1212
Age : 61
Location : South East England
Points : 3607
Registration date : 2016-10-01

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 3:20 am

That is great news. I've overheated my SW twice. Both times in summer and both times threading through standing traffic, hence, didn't notice the temp gauge or warning light until coolant started pouring out from the pressure cap.

The first time was due to an air lock and the second time was a fan motor relay failure. I didn't have any strange noises from the engine though.

Anyhow, the old girl doesn't seem to have any lasting damage from my negligence.

I hope yours hasn't either.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert



Number of posts : 915
Location : Teesdale, UK
Points : 3386
Registration date : 2016-05-15

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 3:56 am

Congratulations on the repair. I don't know the exchange rate but that sounds like a bargain price, BMW would charge that just for writing the invoice 😏
Back to top Go down
Online
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 40
Location : SG
Points : 267
Registration date : 2022-05-09

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 4:31 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
That is great news. I've overheated my SW twice. Both times in summer and both times threading through standing traffic, hence, didn't notice the temp gauge or warning light until coolant started pouring out from the pressure cap.

The first time was due to an air lock and the second time was a fan motor relay failure. I didn't have any strange noises from the engine though.

Anyhow, the old girl doesn't seem to have any lasting damage from my negligence.

I hope yours hasn't either.

I didn't notice that I was overheating either because I was so used to the sound of the radiator fan spinning. I hope so too! The downtime my Swing spent in the workshop made me realize that I have some sort of attachment issue to it. Perhaps it's a first-time bike ownership thing. Laughing

steve_h80 wrote:
Congratulations on the repair. I don't know the exchange rate but that sounds like a bargain price, BMW would charge that just for writing the invoice 😏

Thank you! I thought it could have been slightly lower, but given the fact the mechanic painstakingly worked through his weekend to have my Swing up and running, I'd gladly pay up. And yes, I'd imagine the actual repair cost for BMW would cost an arm and a leg! To think my end goal was a R1250GS...
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert



Number of posts : 520
Age : 74
Location : Santa Barbara California
Points : 5330
Registration date : 2010-02-01

My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...    My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 5:11 pm

I alway thought BMW stood for BRING ME YOUR WALLET.  Years ago I was surprised when my R80 carb rebuild kit (all 6 rubber O rings) cost me my first born.  Later found out its was a normal drip caused by not turning of the peacock on the carbs.
Back to top Go down
 
My Silverwing has finally bit the dust...
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Greetings and Salutations from South Africa
» Oil and black dust on left side of rear wheel
» Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed
» Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?
» Finally here?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: