Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Is there an older FJS 600 Silverwing in the UK?
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby Dutch SilverWing Today at 7:00 pm

» Another Aussie newbie ..
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby RiverSong77 Today at 6:35 pm

» FS: Tunnel Bag
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 6:22 pm

» Belt advice.
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 4:40 pm

» Swing windscreen
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:48 am

» anyone had avon vipers
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:47 am

» Maxi-scoots.com (Please read)
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» New Owner, New Sounds...
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Yesterday at 10:07 am

» Buying older, low mileage Silverwing
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:30 am

» Back on the road!
Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:16 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed Empty
PostSubject: Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed   Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:51 pm

When I take off my rear wheel I see a bit of weeping of oil coming from the transmission - not a great amount - but a bit more than I think is normal. I am considering as my first next step to resolve the issue is the replacement of the Dust Seal (91251-MCT-003) and Oil Seal (91205-MCT-003) that helps, among other things, to minimize the oil leaking at this location (items 32 and 33 on Swingarm exploded online parts diagram - did not actually see these in the manual yet). I am pretty sure I can pull the Dust Seal and install a new one - but not so sure about the oil seal. I don't think this weepage of oil warrants doing any major final drive transmission rebuild - hoping that the replacing the dust and oil seal will do the trick. My question is this - Can I pry out the oil seal and replace it without any major work on the transmission - or is getting this oil seal out going to be difficult? Has anyone actually done this work WITHOUT a rebuild of their transmission? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2089
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed   Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Dimond, have a look at this link and see if it helps.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t6204-oil-leak-on-final-drive
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed   Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 pm

model28a wrote:
Dimond, have a look at this link and see if it helps.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t6204-oil-leak-on-final-drive
Thanks Model28a - the link you provided answers my question(s)!
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed   Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Before you pry anything apart, clean things a bit and see if the problem continues.  I added UV dye to my final drive that showed the same problem only to discover that NO, it was not final drive fluid, but just Honda slapping a little more grease on than they probably should have.  No big deal, just clean up the excess. I think it separates a little and ends up looking like oil. Don't replace seals until you know you really have a leak.
Back to top Go down

Final Drive Shaft Dust Seal and Oil Seal Replacement Advice Needed
Page 1 of 1