Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Swingarm seal removal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
n7188u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-02-07

Swingarm seal removal Empty
PostSubject: Swingarm seal removal   Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 1:10 pm

Hello Forum Members,

I need some advice at possible tip. After great effort I finally removed the right swingarm on my 2005 Silverwing for tire replacement. What a job that was as the bearing was seized on the shaft due to corrosion.

I want to change the seals to prevent this in the future. the inner one was easy as it is flush. The outer one is inside the bore where the shaft nut is located and much harder to pull out. Any hints on tool or technique to get this seal out?

Thanks,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm seal removal   Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 3:06 pm

IIRC There is a snap ring holding that outer seal in place. I think. So remove the snap ring and you should be able to pry out the seal with a screwdriver. Or remove the inner seal and drive out the outer seal from the inside.

But however you accomplish the removal, DO NOT lose the collar which fits into the outer seal.
Back to top Go down
n7188u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm seal removal   Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 4:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Tim. I will look closer but I didn't see a snap ring holding the outer seal. I did see one holding the bearing, which I intent to remove to verify that the bearing is still fully seated (a LOT of force was needed to remove the swingarm from the shaft).

I did remove the inner seal and tried to push the outer out but not much to push against (at least not sure if what I feel as a step to push against is the seal itself or a lip in the swingarm). Will continue to look and see how to do this. As it is usually the case, I am sure there is a way but doesn't look easy.

The inner one came out very easy with a screwdriver (heresy) without scratching anything.

Thanks for the heads up on the collar. I will look for that and make sure it is safe.

Chris
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm seal removal   Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 7:09 pm

Both seals are just pushed in, they are just dust seals, there's a snap ring that holds the bearing in place on the inside/back side you should see once the inner seal is removed, the bearing itself is double sealed and pre-lubed for life, if it spins freely leave it alone, be careful not to damage bearing seals, the dust seals rarely fail, the bearing or bushings got stuck/corroded on shaft because lack of lube, you may have to polish the wheel shaft and interior of bushings and bearing with green scotch-brite to remove surface corrosion or grime, remove the outer bushing #7 and smear some grease in cavity, ditto for inside if seal still usable ?, all the parts that are metal to metal contact should have a light coat of grease or anti-seize compound, the splines on wheel and shaft should be coated with a light coat anti seize or grease, waterproof/marine grease works good.

Here's a link where you can see the layout and buy parts if needed. ?

Non ABS 2005 https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f29af870021c54be6b8f/rear-wheel

ABS 2005 https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f295f870021c54be6b53/rear-wheel
Back to top Go down
n7188u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm seal removal   Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2022 9:14 am

Thanks again for the feedback.

A little perseverance paid off (as always). I finally found one of those tools used to open paint cans, which have the perfect hooky end, I slid it in from the bearing side and tapped/pushed the seal out. it was easy once the right tool was found.

I decided to replace both seals. They may have been OK but the inner one was abused a little during the swingarm removal process and I figure that with the bike being almost 20 years old might as well replace anything I can made out of rubber.

So the rebuild continues and I may tap into the forums knowledge base if more questions arise.

Thanks,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swingarm seal removal   Swingarm seal removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swingarm seal removal
Page 1 of 1