Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?

Go down 
+2
Siataukreg
sc00ter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  Empty
PostSubject: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 1:54 pm

Hi folks,
I took my 2006 SWing with 7,000 miles to my local Honda shop to get new tires mounted, rebuild the front folks because the right one was leaking, and do a state inspection.

The shop just called and said they tore down the front forks, and the fork pipes in the forks were “scored” and should probably be replaced before completing the fork rebuild.

He said they could just put it all back together and delay rebuilding the forks until they had the new fork pipes in. Or they could complete the rebuild but the scored fork pipes might cause the forks to fail again - in a year, or even tomorrow.

Is this a common problem on SWings of this age and mileage, or are they just trying to upsell me on more work and parts/ service costs? (This is the first time I’ve dealt with this particular Honda shop so I don’t know what to expect.)

For now I simply told them to complete the current fork rebuild without replacing the “scored” parts. (I’m on a very limited income and can’t afford more repair costs this month.)

Do I need to worry about this going forward?
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 11:05 pm

I had the one fork seal leaking on my Swing when I purchased it and decided to rebuild both fork legs. I had no damage on the fork pipes (#5 in the exploded view) and at $170ish dollars each I can see why you don't want to replace them if not needed. Are they pitted? Any chips in the chrome? Were the fork seals leaking in the first place?

If the seal weren't leaking, why tear the forks all the way down? Just change the fluid. Go and look and post pictures of the fork pipes if possible.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 11:28 pm

sc00ter wrote:
Were the fork seals leaking in the first place?

If the seal weren't leaking, why tear the forks all the way down? Just change the fluid. Go and look and post pictures of the fork pipes if possible.
Yes, the right fork was leaking badly and the dust seal was obviously torn. The bike sat for five years. Prior owner claims the forks never leaked before, but his son and daughter-in-law took it for a spirited ride around the neighborhood and it was leaking when they returned.

I watched numerous videos of fork rebuilds and decided I didn’t want to try to tackle it myself so I had them do total rebuilds while they had the front wheel off to mount the new tires.

Unfortunately my “local” shop is twenty miles away so I didn’t make the trip to take photos.

As I said, I’m having them finish the rebuilds with my original fork pipes. I suspect they’ll function fine without replacing the fork pipes.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 8:22 am

Since you've made your call, not much to say.  

IIWM, I would have preferred to see the fork scoring or at least a picture before making the call.

However, I probably would have told them to proceed with the fluid & seal exchange using the old forks too.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 2:07 pm

If you need fork tubes i have a pair of new ones genuine honda parts will take £150 for the pair plus shipping
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 4:25 pm

Finally got it back from Honda today, brought it home, and went for my first extended ride on it, an eighty mile ride on country and mountain roads with a friend who was on his Kawasaki Vulcan 650 sport cruiser. It had no trouble keeping up and performed flawlessly. The front forks were great, no weeping or leaking after the ride.

Last edited by BrianInVA on Sun May 15, 2022 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 6:03 pm

I went with 15w fork oil instead of 10w. I’m glad I did. I’m a big guy, 6’2” and 290, and between new tires and the rebuilt forks it felt much better.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 11:00 am

Glad to hear your friend on his Vulcan was able to keep up to you.  Wink

Also glad to hear your issues appear to be resolved to your satisfaction.  Happy trails.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 11:23 am

sonuvabug wrote:
Glad to hear your friend on his Vulcan was able to keep up to you.  Wink

Also glad to hear your issues appear to be resolved to your satisfaction.  Happy trails.
LOL! Just to clarify, he was on a 2018 Vulcan 650 s, which has the Ninja 650 motor and runs remarkably well. He’s a new rider so I let him lead. My SWing had no trouble keeping up with his 650. I hit 80mph a couple times and it felt rock solid.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 5:10 am

I had no problems with my 02 45K swing, the fork stanchions are clean as a whistle but could do with some protector bellows on them imo.

The fork springs are way too soft , I serviced my forks 3 years a go but might do it again and use more spacers and heavier fork oil. A better front end would increase the fun factor for me as currently I have to avoid manhole covers and small pot holes as the forks bottom out otherwise ......horrible sound when it does, I weigh 85KG by the way .......
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 12:18 pm

cello33 wrote:
I had no problems with my 02 45K swing, the fork stanchions are clean as a whistle but could do with some protector bellows on them imo.

The fork springs are way too soft , I serviced my forks 3 years a go but might do it again and use more spacers and heavier fork oil. A better front end would increase the fun factor for me as currently I have to avoid manhole covers and small pot holes as the forks bottom out otherwise ......horrible sound when it does, I weigh 85KG by the way .......

See this “Poor Man’s HyperPro’s” link for a great inexpensive front suspension mod. Be sure to read the entire topic for a clearer understanding.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t12580-front-springs-mod-poor-mans-hyperpros?highlight=Poor+man’s

Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  0d5c3410
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?    Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are  “scored”?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dealer rebuilding 2006 SWing forks says the fork pipes are “scored”?
Page 1 of 1