Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.

Go down 
+7
model28a
ScooterBJ
exavid
john grinsel
The Bern
sctr199
toolboxjesse
11 posters
AuthorMessage
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. Empty
PostSubject: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm

3 years or so ago I installed the Hyperpro fork springs in my Silver Wing. I had a minimally leaking right fork at the time and i had planned to perform a full fork rebuild on both forks- I ordered all of the seals and the wear parts. Unfortunately I just wasn't able to separate the upper tube from the lower tube using the instructions in the service manual. I tried until the point of exhaustion to pull them apart.
I want to rebuild them now, as the leak has gotten worse. I plan to bolt the fork lower to my work bench. My idea is to buy a used triple tree from ebay or somewhere and bolt it to the upper tube, then hit it outwards with a hammer to separate the halfs. I don't wish to use vice grips or any tool that might damage the tube. If you've done it what did you use to clamp the upper tube without damage?

Also- for anyone who also installed the hyperpros- do you know what brand and weight fork oil was included in the kit? I would like to have a bottle on hand for the rebuild.

Thanks,
Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm

I certainly can sympathize with your desire to do the rebuild yourself, but perhaps it might be worth thinking about to take the forks to a shop and let them install the seals? You may never use the used triple clamp again anyway. You could then reinstall the springs yourself.

My HyperPro Springs came with their brand of 20w fork oil. I imagine any brand would work. I seem to recall reading a post here where a lighter oil was used by someone. I put in HyperPro recommended volume. I think the manual calls for slightly less. My forks are fairly stiff; next oil change I will put Honda's' recommended amount.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks for the info on the fork oil!

I really don't wish to have the work done by someone else- dealership or otherwise. I have been a mechanic for many years and I trust myself to do the job right.

I was reminded just recently about the quality of work of other MC mechanics, including Honda dealership mechanics. Several years ago I brought my 03 in for the various recall campaigns. It took this dealership a month to get it all done, and when I got the bike back it was absolutely filthy and missing some panel hardware. When I finally stripped the panels from the bike a few days ago in order to repair the damage from my accident I discovered even more missing hardware, and not only missing but a broken bolt that they broke and tried to conceal.

I would rather invest in a tool and have it forever than trust a mechanic to do a job for me- my life depends on it.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 3:45 pm

It really shouldn't be that hard to pull the stanchions from the lower casing, after prying out the dust seal the stage a lot of people miss is not looking into the recess & removing the locking ring, that & the bolt in the bottom of the lower casing that holds the piston in place are the only things holding the two halves together.

Regarding clamping the stanchion in a vice, I made a simple device from a block of aluminium, if you have a lathe/friendly machine shop nearby I will take pictures & add dimensional info
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 3:51 pm

Why "re-build" forks for what appears to be simple seal leak? Unless bike has at least 75,000 plus miles, the sliding parts are probably not wornout.

By removing front wheel and sliding fork legs out of triple tree----pulling seals, replacing seals you can probably get away simple. Or?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Fork seal life is unpredictable, one might leak in the first year of use and the other might go for ten years. It's a matter of dirt and grit. You might try cleaning the lip of the seal first that often does the job without replacing the seal. To do that you need to slip the dust cover up out of the way and use a slip of thing plastic between the fork tube and the seal. Take a look at the video link below, it's for a motorcycle but will be much the same for a SW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGno_lYGjJU

I've had good luck cleaning seals about 30% or so of the time. I've changed fork seals in about fifteen Goldwings in my old shop and my previous K1100LT. As already mentioned if the fork slider won't come off the tube then it's either the lockring or bottom bolt. If it takes unusual force do a bit more investigation so as not to damage the slider or tube. Fork oil runs the gamut from 5W to 20W depending on the ride you want and the load you put on the bike. Temperature also has an effect as well.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Add on to this----to prevent early seal failure.....some sort of fork gaiters work well, I prefer the simple kind that go around the fork leg, with no take apart of fork.

Dennis Kirk was source for years----but no longer listed---I have veteran set on my present SilverWing.

Hippo Hands from Canada, was source, but I understand they are also not making these gaiters any more----Have set on my Suzuki TU250.

What will I do next time? maybe EBAY?
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 am

Seal Savers
Fork Leg & Seal Protection
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 5:45 pm

BJ thank you for the link.  applause
I looked on Google and found the Seal Savers web site for $19.95 and they have zip on gaiters HERE for $26.95.
I would not have found them without your posting the name of them.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 7:05 pm

The Hyper Pro springs come with a bottle of 20w oil. About two years ago I drained mine and refilled with a mixture of 10w and 20w, which I hope made a blend of 15w. 10w was all the shop carried - nothing heavier. I have noticed a tiny bit less damping, but better action.

Many times I have thought that the Hyper Pro springs are too stiff for around town use. However, they are much better on fast curves when riding in the mountains of North Carolina. If I had to do it over again, I would try the stock springs with a spacer at the top, and 20w oil. Perhaps that would provide a little more cushion around town without higher speed handling being too adversely affected (compared to H P springs).
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:49 am

I would like know where I can order a set of Hyperpro springs for mo 09 Swing.There is a set on E bay but not able to place the order ,they don't recognize my Email,and pass word after they approved it,but won't accept it when I place the order.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Here are two links for the springs, the first one is for the site and the 2nd one is for the page of model numbers:

http://www.epmperf.com/hyperpro-springs.htm (scroll down to the bottom of the page for the 'Progressive Fork and Shock price link list)

http://www.epmperf.com/price-lists/progressive_fork_spring_07_09_14.pdf
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks JeffR, I will let you how things go.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 12:28 pm

tinman,

If you have them installed you will be amazed at the improvement. I always thought the 2 best mods are the windshield and the hyperpro's. It makes the ride more m/c like.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 pm

tinman wrote:
I would like know where I can order a set of Hyperpro springs for mo 09 Swing.There is a set on E bay but not able to place the order ,they don't recognize my Email,and pass word after they approved it,but won't accept it when I place the order.

Does this mean that you didn't find that your recent "Poor Man's Hyperpro" fork rebuild, with the extended spring spacers & heavier fork oil, all that successful?

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 4:03 pm

That was not me,what I want is the hyperpro springs that others have installed .There is a set on E bay for $149.  but they said I don't have a valid e mail and pass word.they recognize my e mail and pass word but when I place the order in they say I have a invalid pass word ,Vary frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Oops, sorry for my misunderstanding.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Finally sign in on e bay ,placed the order at the cost of $193.00 just to find that the seller don't recognize my location,and cannot place the order. I email epmperf.com with my request , then called the phone # 732 766 9777, left a message and no reply yet. Is there another supplier that will ship to CA. scratch
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Umm...ahh, Maybe I'm questioning the obvious here, but with CA being the US Postal abbreviation for California could your Canada, CA, abbreviation be a confusing factor in processing your order?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 2:04 pm

I did give my location  the same that is beside tin man's information. It would be helpful if someone on Canada,s side of the border manage to find a supplier that ships to Canada.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Tinman, have a look at :

Parts Canada
2916 21st Street, N.E.
T2E 6Z2 Calgary, Alberta
Tel: +1 403 250 6611
Fax: +1 403 250 1436
informations@partscanada.com
www.partscanada.com

They list hyperpro as one of their suppliers, if they don't stock what you want they probably know who does, gotta be worth a call/email bud Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 3:51 pm

cheers Finally  contacted epmperf.com by phone. hyper pro springs $159. + $38. shipping. I received email confirmation of payment.Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I will still look at partscanada.com if they have the springs and at what cost.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm

My Hyper pro springs arrived this after noon .Total cost $240.00. Started to dismantle the forks ,stopped for supper and went back to finish the job .Went for a test drive over railroad tracks and pot holes, and so far I LIKE IT. cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:20 pm

tinman,

Congrats on your new mod. When I did this I thought it was a great improvement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.   Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time to rebuild forks- what do you use as a clamp? also Hyperpro fork oil.
Page 1 of 1