Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Full or semi synthetic?
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 8:39 pm

» The Iridium spark plug
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 6:26 pm

» Newtonmeter setting for vario and clutch?
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 4:28 pm

» OEM Silver Wing Windshield
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby skidders Today at 4:14 pm

» I heard a SW purring like a kitten
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:44 pm

» New Member from Ft. Lauderdale
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LM15 Today at 12:13 pm

» Silverwing spark plug upgrade?
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:20 am

» Interphone led daylights
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Easyrider Today at 6:47 am

» Tell us a joke
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Davetech Today at 3:17 am

» Replaced Vbelt and rollers to sliders - impressions
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:53 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clicking Noise from Front Brake

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
zrx212
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 1:13 pm

"The new EBC pad hole shows (at it's widest part) as 7.5mm. The OEM pad hole shows (at it's widest part) as 7mm. Still a 0.5mm difference. So we're not far off in our measurements.

Could this be the cause of the clicking noise as Tim suggested?" end qoute.

I'm going to say "tentatively yes", that additional .5mm/.020in, is significant IMO, even if the retaining pin was at new dimension of 5.95mm/.235in.(I measured area not subject wear). 
The EBC pad would have 1.55mm/.061in. of clearance/play(7.5mm - 5.95 = 1.55mm) when installed new ??, My used/worn pads/pin have a clearance/play 1.08mm/.043in. at the most wear point, where new oem parts would be aprox. 1mm/.040in. IOW oem is tighter and very durable  Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 1f60e  Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 1f4aa IAC the takeaway for me on this topic is, stick to oem brakes and related parts they are good quality  Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 698
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Agreed. Stick to OEM parts.

As I said before, I didn't like the look of the EBC pads after just 200 miles, they looked as though they were chewing at the discs in order to do their job, despite the guy from EBC telling me that that the wear on both the pads and the discs looked normal Neutral Nevertheless, I'll stick with my EBC discs for now but at the slightest sign of trouble I'll be fitting OEM discs.

Anybody reading all this can learn a lot about the way their SW behaves.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm

Ride it then. Sometimes the smallest things are the hardest to find. 1/2 MM pad slop and worn pins lets those pads move around. Happy you solved it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 698
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm

So, I just thought I'd put this thing to bed for future reference.

After about 200 miles on my new brake parts, the clicking noise has returned.

In summary, the only non-OEM parts are the discs, they're EBC, surely they are to blame?

I've read that this phenomenum exists on factory new bikes, I'm going to ignore it. The brakes work very well. At least I have a spare set of EBC pads which, if I ever need to fit them, may click to their heart's content. That's provided that I don't have to replace the discs for OEM ones in the meantime. Yikes!
Back to top Go down

Clicking Noise from Front Brake
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2