Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clicking Noise from Front Brake

Go down 
+5
Mech 1 twa
zrx212
JamieB
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just road tested my SW (non ABS) after fitting refurbed caliper, new pads and discs.

I am getting a 'clicking' or 'ticking' noise when the front brake operates. It varies in frequency and volume depending on speed. It's rather like one end of a lollipop stick being put against a rotating 'spoked' wheel. Everything feels fine under braking but this noise is weird.

I should mention one thing. When I fitted the new pads I reused the metal clip-on shims but I also fitted the purpose made plastic shim (which came with the new pad kit), underneath the metal shim on the pad side of the caliper. My thinking in fitting this plastic shim is that, as the pads wear over time, the pistons will be less exposed by 1mm as they move outwards from the bore. I doubt if this is the problem but thought I'd mention it.

My first thought was the new pads 'bedding-in' on a new disc and the new pad surface is slightly catching one of the holes in the disc.?? Dunno...!

Anyhow, there it is. Has anybody experienced this noise and resolved it?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 1:13 pm

"The new EBC pad hole shows (at it's widest part) as 7.5mm. The OEM pad hole shows (at it's widest part) as 7mm. Still a 0.5mm difference. So we're not far off in our measurements.

Could this be the cause of the clicking noise as Tim suggested?" end qoute.

I'm going to say "tentatively yes", that additional .5mm/.020in, is significant IMO, even if the retaining pin was at new dimension of 5.95mm/.235in.(I measured area not subject wear). 
The EBC pad would have 1.55mm/.061in. of clearance/play(7.5mm - 5.95 = 1.55mm) when installed new ??, My used/worn pads/pin have a clearance/play 1.08mm/.043in. at the most wear point, where new oem parts would be aprox. 1mm/.040in. IOW oem is tighter and very durable  Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 1f60e  Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 1f4aa IAC the takeaway for me on this topic is, stick to oem brakes and related parts they are good quality  Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Agreed. Stick to OEM parts.

As I said before, I didn't like the look of the EBC pads after just 200 miles, they looked as though they were chewing at the discs in order to do their job, despite the guy from EBC telling me that that the wear on both the pads and the discs looked normal Neutral Nevertheless, I'll stick with my EBC discs for now but at the slightest sign of trouble I'll be fitting OEM discs.

Anybody reading all this can learn a lot about the way their SW behaves.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm

Ride it then. Sometimes the smallest things are the hardest to find. 1/2 MM pad slop and worn pins lets those pads move around. Happy you solved it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm

So, I just thought I'd put this thing to bed for future reference.

After about 200 miles on my new brake parts, the clicking noise has returned.

In summary, the only non-OEM parts are the discs, they're EBC, surely they are to blame?

I've read that this phenomenum exists on factory new bikes, I'm going to ignore it. The brakes work very well. At least I have a spare set of EBC pads which, if I ever need to fit them, may click to their heart's content. That's provided that I don't have to replace the discs for OEM ones in the meantime. Yikes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clicking Noise from Front Brake
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2