Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Groaning noise from front end

Go down 
+6
ScootRGuy
Meldrew
KurtPerthWA
NWSSC
dexterw
Mrpw666
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-11-22

Groaning noise from front end Empty
PostSubject: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi boys and girls

I'm really enjoying the weather here and using my swing at every opportunity, even tonight enjoying sea fishing off the rocks just by packing up the swing and exploring, even managed to catch a few small wrasse in the process!! However, I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that when I lean over into a corner there is a noticeable groan from the front end, nothing whilst riding upright. I could swear it sounds like duff front wheel bearings but after 4200 miles? this is a Honda for gods sake! surely not! 2008 model without fuss but this. Any thoughts?

Regards

Mark
Back to top Go down
dexterw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:55 pm

My swing does the same thing. I thought the noise might be from the belt even though it sounds like the front wheel bearing. I have 6500 miles on my bike.
Regards, Dexter
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 pm

If you here the noise going around curves you probably have the start of cupped tires. You are around the right mileage for this concern.More noticeable on the front tires but it also happens on the rear,but you may not notice the noise right away from the rear.Sad    Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 am

LOL LOL I just had a flash... I imagined you let Meldrew Ride your bike. Razz

Last edited by KurtPerthWA on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:16 am

G'day mate, I used to have a groaning noise coming from my front end, then I stopped reading your corny jokes!   tongue
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 am

I've had the same thing, I believe it's the front rotor making contact with the brake pads and it sets up a harmonic vibration. I replaced the brake pads on the front and flushed the nearly 10 year old brake fluid and it seemed to help but I still get the sound. It is most notable at between 45 and 50 MPH.

Back to top Go down
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 am

Hi Everyone

Many thanks on all your thoughs, weathers too nice to be bothered looking at the moment, so I'll wait a while before I investigate. Never thought tyres though, but a quick look does show a sort of strange pattern forming front and rear on the sides. 4200 on original hoops, time to change I wonder?

Mark
Back to top Go down
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 am

Hi everyone

Last night had a close look at the tyres and was quite suprised to see a sort of 'feathering' with raised bits of tread on both front and rear towards the outside, trye pressures checked - 'satis'. My daily commute does not involve a lot of straight line stuff and therefore the tyres are worn a few millimetres from the edges and I have to say I enjoy the twisty stuff! So, with the original hoops having covered 4300 miles (I know this subject has been covered a few times and God forbid I stir the hornets nest here) what is the best tyre combo to have? I am pleading with the vast experience and knowledge of this forum - can someone advise?

BTW - I prefer safety to cost

Happy Days!

Mark
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 am

'Cupping' has happened to me on the front wheel of bikes, I suspect that it's normal as the tyre wears down. I've been on Hoops so far (about 6000 miles between replacement). I may give the Michelins a try next time .
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 5:15 am

I sometimes get a whining noise from the back, accompanied by a pain in my ears.
It's usually when I'm going faster than SWMBO thinks I should!!Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 5:26 am

:lol!:  ^^^^^ :lol!: 
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 am

This site may give you some insight on the tire concerns on the Silver Wing and other bikes and scooters. http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 12:59 am

The tires are not necessarily trash yet. Look t leroybeal.net and view his pictorial on shaving the tires(that's tyres to you, mate). Shaving them will return them to their proper shape, make them slightly smoother to ride on and minimize any wobble that might be cropping up.

At 4200 miles I would think there is a lot of life in then still.
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Groaning noise from front end   Groaning noise from front end I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 am

My Swing is 9 years old, and my cars are 13 years old. My kids are 14 & 17 years old. They all make noise constantly, so I just turn up the music.
Back to top Go down

Groaning noise from front end
Page 1 of 1