Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive Pulley Weights Service
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Today at 6:58 am

» First post! Great to be here...
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Greysilver Today at 12:11 am

» Please submit a picture of your Silver Wing
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» Corbin Seat and Backrest in Denver
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby holwagerj Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» Sky Island Ride May 13-16 2021
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 3:32 pm

» A tail of two Swings.
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:14 pm

» Nearly post-covid
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am

» fuel pump issue
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Scooter Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm

» Hello Again
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 pm

» First post
Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Easyrider Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clicking Noise from Front Brake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Clicking Noise from Front Brake Empty
PostSubject: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Just road tested my SW (non ABS) after fitting refurbed caliper, new pads and discs.

I am getting a 'clicking' or 'ticking' noise when the front brake operates. It varies in frequency and volume depending on speed. It's rather like one end of a lollipop stick being put against a rotating 'spoked' wheel. Everything feels fine under braking but this noise is weird.

I should mention one thing. When I fitted the new pads I reused the metal clip-on shims but I also fitted the purpose made plastic shim (which came with the new pad kit), underneath the metal shim on the pad side of the caliper. My thinking in fitting this plastic shim is that, as the pads wear over time, the pistons will be less exposed by 1mm as they move outwards from the bore. I doubt if this is the problem but thought I'd mention it.

My first thought was the new pads 'bedding-in' on a new disc and the new pad surface is slightly catching one of the holes in the disc.?? Dunno...!

Anyhow, there it is. Has anybody experienced this noise and resolved it?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1791
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 2:31 pm

Try removing one of the shims, not sure why you would need 2.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Yeah, I do wonder why the plastic shim is included in the kit but I couldn't see any harm in fitting it. I'll check it out tomorrow but I just wondered if anybody else had experienced this and what's causing it.

Having since done a google search, it appears that other makes of bikes have exhibited this problem, even when buying from new!

I'm more curious than worried. I just don't like hearing sounds I can't explain. I'm hoping it turns out to be one of those unexplained mysteries which result in people saying, 'just ignore it, it will go away'....and it does Neutral

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 6:59 am

When you do check it out look to see if any pad has a wear spot.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 8:21 am

Well, I've had a look and the only odd thing is that the 'new' disc is oscillating up and down, when viewed through the caliper, by about 1mm. This means the disc is not sitting truly on the wheel.

When I was fitting the disc I noticed that there was some tiny lateral movement of the disc against its seating 'bits' around the wheel, (bear in mind that the wheel was sitting flat on the workbench so the tiny disc movement was lateral). I assumed that the disc bolts would true it up once tightened. I bought the wheel from new about 4 years ago.

I'm happy to remove the wheel and the disc to re-seat everything but I can't think of a way to make sure that it is sitting precisely to the centre and the radius of the wheel. Shocked
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 am

Never had to change a disk so I ask is there an inside and outside that would make a difference or is it a one way only fit? Something must be touching no matter how lightly it should leave a wear mark.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 9:39 am

The disc will only fit one way round. I think the high spot of the oscillation is touching the pad spring plate inside the caliper. I'm going to have another look now and see if I can 'centralize' the disc somehow.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3717
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 10:25 am

Maybe take the rotor off, shift it clockwise by one bolt space then reinstall.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Well Tim, by coincidence, that's what I did and it reduced the oscillation to virtually nil. However, on road test the noise was still there. Then I found the rubber grommet which covers the pad retaining pin hole lying on the garage floor so I checked the pad retaining pin and it was loose...ah ha. After a low speed ride around the street the noise has gone. I'll do a proper road test tomorrow.

There must be a moral to this story, along with some kind of weird forces at work. During the short road test, I had two occasions when the rear brake lever offered no resistance to braking and then carried on working normally. Could there possibly be some connection between these two anomalies?
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 2:11 pm

So the moral of the story is tighten things correctly!

Glad all sorted. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 2:21 pm

cheers chickendance Once the click is gone ask no further questions, the oppsie god smiled on you. On the other hand at time those grommets will push through when installing a panel.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Did I mention that I am a member of the "Ministry for Stating the Bleedin' Obvious"?

Quickly changing the subject, is there a topic somewhere covering the brake fluid distribution valve?

The history with my rear brake lever is leading me to think that the delay valve could be to blame.

Do they go wrong?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 12:47 pm

It's back. Took the bike out for a 40+ mile run today and the noise was back as I left home and while riding through town. Got out into the country and just kinda forgot about. As I slowed down to pull into our street I noticed it was gone.

I'm gonna put it down to new discs and pads getting to know each other. I'll keep listening though.....
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Clicking Noise from Front Brake   Clicking Noise from Front Brake I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Just as a epilogue, I went out for a ride today and the clicking noise didn't even enter my head as I merrily road around.

As I was putting the bike to bed it occurred to me that I hadn't heard the noise at all during my ride.

So..there we are, another mystery solved with no scientific evidence involved.
Back to top Go down

Clicking Noise from Front Brake
Page 1 of 1