Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

exhaust tightness question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

exhaust tightness question Empty
PostSubject: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 6:40 pm

My SW-T400 is a bit noisy at higher RPM, it got better since I fixed the muffler seal clamp right.
Today just for fun on a cold bike I pressed both hands to seal both exhaust pipes.
There was no reaction in idle rpm or sound,ther was also no real pressure against the palms.
That really puzzled me.

Can somebody shed some light what is going on?

I KNOW THERE IS A LITTLE BLOW BACK BECAUSE OF A NOT TO FRESH EXHAUST SEAL ANYMORE (dam caps lock). But this it is as if there was a bypass.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 1:01 am

I wish you hadn't mentioned the lack of pressure build up on the exhaust system. I just checked my '08 and it's the same. No pressure build up at the two outlets. I'll have to look it over eventually. Might be leaking where the exhaust goes into the muffler. But I couldn't hear any leaks and it didn't effect the engine idle at all either.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 6:21 am

when I look at a 2002 600 or 2009 400 the exhaust system is except for the pipe diameter and seal size pretty much the same.
When you look at part nr 6 it looks like the exhaust pipes we tried to block while the exhaust has a set of extra little pipes connecting (maybe loosely for cooling purposes) with this part.
Maybe to keep it cooler there is a gap between the nr 6 pipes and the exhaust pipes.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.de/honda-motorrad/600-SCOOTER/SILVERWING/2002/FJS6002/Chassis/ABGAS-SCHALLDAEMPFER/13MCT1E1/F__2400/2/5356
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 7:05 am

4 screws solved the riddle
The exhaust gasses are cooled by air what is suckt with the exhaust gasses between the exhaust inner tube and the air cooling outer tube what gets the air from the gap behind the silver end cap.
So to block the exhaust a bit to see if it is intact, you need 2 corks from a sparkling wine bottle what fit through the big diameter but not the small diameter tube.
exhaust tightness question Aircoo10

exhaust tightness question Aircoo11
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 7:43 am

The packing as the Japanese call it (gasket) between exhaust pipe and muffler needs to be replaced now and then----I always carried a spare.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 9:08 pm

A cool design 😆.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Without that outer cooling tube that nice plastic muffler end cap would get very hot and melt. Cooling design at it's best.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Oh, coool   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2019 12:01 am

Since my SW is a rather beat up used bike, it's muffler guard was scraped up. New ones were expensive. I decided to replace the muffler with a Delkevic slip on. It's a bit louder but not intrusive. Anyways Honda always had a great design but God awful heavy. I do not miss the factory muffler at all. The performance gain is mostly due to weight savings. It does seem a bit livlier however. I would have loved to see a lighter factory muffler. The new one slipped on with a little RTV.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exhaust tightness question   exhaust tightness question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

exhaust tightness question
Page 1 of 1