Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wiring up Spotlights

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

Wiring up Spotlights Empty
PostSubject: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Today I fixed some new spot lights on the underside of the front fairing above the mudguard, found a live feed (when ignition is on) behind the front "V" it was a White wire & I think it is fed to headlights from what I could see. Found a nice earth also and connected the spots up, switched on ignition as I did in the test (when looking for a live feed when ignition is on) and...............you guessed it the 15 amp headlight fuse blew. Now I know I should use a relay but my brain is getting old and cant remember how to wire a relay up in order to do it right. These are the spots

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Motorcycle-Motorbike-LED-Spot-Lights-Fog-Driving-Light-Daytime-Running-Light/223383372179

Kev
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 9:48 pm

Those lights should not blow the fuse, you might have a short.
I had 4 of them running from the headlight connector without issue.

The way I connected them was with a 4" headlight harness extender, also on Fleabay.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 4:20 am

Thanks Sidewinder Pilot, I am going to get a Relay unit today to see if that will work.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 5:52 am

Nah, relay will make no odds bud, you've got it wrong somewhere, did you connect the red or the black off the lights to the white off the loom ?  I'm fairly sure that the lamp body is eathed on those is earthed, so wiring incorrectly with the lamps mounted directly or indirectly on any earthed part of the bike will blow the fuse.

White is live feed to dip beam .......... connect to red off lamp

Green is common earth ................... connect to black off lamp
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 am

The Bern
Top man, thank you so much for that info, it was doing my head in (done it so many times years ago but went "Blank") I love this Forum, thanks again Wink
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 am

TROUBLE
Triple checked connections.
Red from Spots to "White" on Dipped wire
Black from Spots to "Green" wire on Dipped wire
15amp Headlight fuse keeps blowing (3 now)

So I connected the Red from spots to the wire feeding the Heated grips I put in last week and they worked perfectly, and POOOF the whole bike is dead now, no ignition lights on at all, gone through every fuse under the seat and put in identical one to match it, still bike is dead as a Do-Do, are there anymore fuses anyware please.

Thanks in advance
Kev Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 10:09 am

Breedin' Nora bud, I'm guessing you must have an internal fault on at least one of those lights Shocked Yes there is a 30 amp fuse hiding behind the left hand body panel, give me a couple of min's & then check your PM inbox
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am

Thanks Bern
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 10:16 am

Should be with you now Kev might help with dianosing this :Happy Holiday:
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 am

On it, many thanks Bern thumbs up
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 am

All done, it was the 30amp fuse behind the left side panel, lucky there was a spare in the slot.

Many thanks to Bern for his help on this problem. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 12:59 pm

You're most welcome Kev, on here we all try to help each other when we can, it's what we do bud :Happy Holiday:
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm learning that Bern, I will re think the Spot Light problem, the thing is that they work perfectly straight from the battery, so I may end up wiring from there via a fused relay and a switch, not ideal but that's life. Many thanks again mate, appreciate your help.

Kev
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 4:08 am

Before I have sussed this wiring problem out, I have dismantled them, whilst out yesterday I noticed a strange vibe through bars when turning bike around in a car park (sort of 4 point turn), got home and noticed loads of scratches on front mudguard, so I can only assume when I braked on the maneuvering the sudden stop and turning of bars causing the light's to rub on the mudguard making the scratches😢  So I'm thinking of putting on the mudguard bolt, but the only thing that concerns me is how to run the cable up as not to interfere with the shocks !!

Wiring up Spotlights Img_2030
Wiring up Spotlights Img_2031
Wiring up Spotlights Img_2032
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Sorted with a new position and all working good, thanks to all that helped me, will try out later when it gets dark Smile Smile
Wiring up Spotlights Img_2034
Wiring up Spotlights Img_2033
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 3:19 am

"Red from Spots to "White" on Dipped wire
Black from Spots to "Green" wire on Dipped wire"

The spots have blown their 10amp fuse again, which I put inline !!!.
They were working fine for over a week then went again, it's got me beat on such a simple job. Either the spots are faulty (in which case, surely they would blow straight away) or the Bike does not like them Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 2:35 pm

All sorted now, found that a line from the right hand side light had come away from the live feed (crimp and heat shrink), re-done and fitted a switch to it as well (only works with headlights on) with a fuse to be safer.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Well I spoke to early, coming home late Friday night I decided to put on spots as the roads had no street lights, flicked the switch and they were nice and bright, then 'Poof' no lights whatsoever, to say that the to say that the buttocks suddenly clenched tight would be an understatement. Pulled over with mate on his Swing also. The 15 amp fuse in the fuse box had blown, I put another one in and started bike & Poof again.........Bo****ks was the words that sprang from my mouth, I forgot to flick spotlight switch off, so put in last spare 15amp fuse. Sod knows whats going on with these bloody lights. Think I may just wire them up straight to the battery via the switch and have an inline 15amp fuse !!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 5:39 pm

GoonerKev wrote:
Think I may just wire them up straight to the battery via the switch and have an inline 15amp fuse !!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Please don't, Kev. Wire them up thru a relay: Hot wire from the battery thru the relay to the fused line to the lights. Trigger the relay via your existing "Red from Spots to White on Dipped wire". 

Or, you could replace that fuse box 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp and be done with it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Tim
Thanks for the reply, there must be something about that "White" on the dipped that the spots don't like as its blown fuses before. OK I have a relay in the shed (new), I will put that inline then as you suggest, I also have one of those re-settable 15amp blade fuses. I will give it one last try sometime in the week but if the fuse goes again then the lights go in the bin Laughing Wink Wink

Kev
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wiring up Spotlights   Wiring up Spotlights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wiring up Spotlights
Page 1 of 1