Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement

Go down 
+2
Easyrider
cello33
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement Empty
PostSubject: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Having already changed the oil in the front forks I read that boosting the spacer length can help improve the stiffness in the fork, has anyone tried this already?

I need to replace the front tire in the next month or so and while i have the wheel off think I will add a stack of washers to the inside of the fork to increase the compression on the spring.

Still suffering from a soggy front end which it particulary dos not like square edged bumps like a manhole/drain cover and as a result have a notch on the head races , are these a PitA to do?

I think general concensus is thay are nit I need to bite the bullet at some point as the notch is not good and is a defect on this otherwise excellent machine.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 am

There is a discussion on this forum about a preload cap, and the 10mm spacer. Search for "front bouncy" in the Accessories and Modifications section.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 4:31 am

Notch in the steering is also an MoT failure bud, whereabouts in the UK are you ?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 5:03 am

Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Cheers for that guys/bern , located in the south midlands.

I should be ok to do it just dont like having her off the road. It will no doubt take longer to remove the fairing then to do the job itself but will fashion a bendy tool to remove the old races as that looks like the way to go.

The notch itself is bad at low speeds but goes un-noticed above 40mph when you hardly need to turn the bars to put in a turn.

Probably do the rubber grommet things over easter and save the head races for another time....cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm

No need to remove the faring to do the head race bearings and just fit the hyperpro springs to it that will sort the soggy front end out
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2019 1:29 pm

thanks thats good info , was dreading taking the fairing to pieces.

Looks like a tool will be needed to remove the races but not sure why i need to make a long socket tool , would a socket on an extension bar not work to undo the bearing nut ......probably missing something but want to get the tools ready in advance if i can. TIA
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm

You need a super deep reach socket simply because the nut is located a long way down the shaft bud + it's a 'special tool' due to it being an octagonal (rather than the normal hexagonal) nut
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks for your wisdom Bern......but why the heck would they do that , fit an octanut rather then your usual hex....maybe it would be possible to replace the nut once its off but of course you have to remove it first Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Siataukreg wrote:
No need to remove the faring to do the head race bearings and just fit the hyperpro springs to it that will sort the soggy front end out

I'd second on Hyper Pro springs and a good 15 weight oil. Adding a spacer to stock spring will only make it stiffer. Hyper Pro removes the spacer and is one long progressive spring more space to compress.  Honda 8w oil is more like a 10w oil as for viscosity. I'd recommend a 15w a little thicker without being harsh on bumps.  Only need one QT. for forks about 10 OZ in each leg.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2019 11:27 pm

cello33 wrote:
thanks thats good info , was dreading taking the fairing to pieces.  

Looks like a tool will be needed to remove the races but not sure why i need to make a long socket tool , would a socket on an extension bar not work to undo the bearing nut ......probably missing something but want to get the tools ready in advance if i can. TIA

I was able to make the extra deep socket by buying two deep sockets, cutting one so that I could weld to the other socket creating the extra deep socket. You cannot just weld the two sockets together. You want to extend the side where the nut slides in. Make sure you line up the socket before welding the two pieces. I think I have a picture in my album.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2019 5:29 am

Have a look in this thread bud, loads of pic's of the process (including why such a deep socket is needed)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t7786-steering-stem-socket  

Do you ...

A ..... Get any time off during the week
B ..... Fancy riding up here & do the bearing change in my garage

Or if you would rather have a go yourself, this is the nearest to the socket in size to the one found by our American member (in post above) that is available in the UK .............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT4561-32mm-Deep-Impact-Axle-Spindle-Nut-12-Point-Socket-1-2-Drive-85mm-Long/123302271132?epid=18017019683&hash=item1cb563589c:g:4ooAAOSw-95bbUTV&frcectupt=true

HTH :Happy Holiday:
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2019 8:52 am

Further to The Bern's post. Here is a US eBay link for the above socket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunex-2804zd-12-Inch-Drive-32-Mm-12-Point-Deep-Spindle-Nut-Socket/113671006060?epid=5017170213&hash=item1a7751e76c:g:DPwAAOSwBZ5cetXZ
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Sorry to bring this up yet again but the SW failed the MOT with the notch in the head bearings so now forced to do the job....probably a good thing in the long run.

So I have a long reach socket which a friend fabricated for me , have the taper bearings and also a long bendy drift tool but strugling for a spacer to put the new bottom race in. I am hoping to drift out the old race in one piece and use that to seat the new race ...is that feasible or would i be advised to get something manufactured in advance, think the size is 54mm. I would like to get the job done in one day but can see this being a bugger!

Hey Bern just saw your offer , thats awfully kind of you but the MOT is out on Wed of this week so looking like I have no option but to crack on.....Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement   fork seal - Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork spring spacer and head race service/replacement
Page 1 of 1