Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork spring direction

Go down 
+4
MikeO
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
BroOKS2K9
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-13

Fork spring direction Empty
PostSubject: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2021 2:49 pm

If the following is detailed in another topic/post, please direct me to it. Thanks in advance.

Having just hit 16K --and not sure what the previous owner may have done maintenance wise-- I did the service: replaced belt and spark plugs, engine oil/filter, air filter, fork oil, new dust seals/covers and had front wheel balanced (as there were no weights on it at all). ...even cleaned all the brown "snot" from the breather tube. Yuck!!! But man is she wicked fast now! 0-50 in mere seconds.

Can someone explain why I suddenly have a front wheel wobble? If I let go of the handlebars, anything below 40mph produces serious wobbles. Any ideas?

On page 14-16 of the 2002-2013 service manual, it show a picture of the fork spring with the caption "facing up" pointing to the right near the smaller/closer coils. From what I've gathered via manual (and YT videos), the smaller/closer coils are to be at the base/bottom of the fork. Correct? What would likely be the result if springs were inverted?

Desperate for an answer as I'm desperate to ride. And so is my 11 yo daughter. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 7:51 am

BroOKS2K9 wrote:
(Snip)

Can someone explain why I suddenly have a front wheel wobble? If I let go of the handlebars, anything below 40mph produces serious wobbles.  Any ideas?
(Snip)

I’ve split the “front wheel wobble” discussion to its own topic.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2022 3:35 pm

This has nothing to do with 'wobble'. I'm just about to rebuild my front forks and I too am confused about which way up the springs should go.

As BroOK2K9 mentions above, the YT videos suggest having the closer wound coil end at the bottom. This is supposed to absorb the hard impacts and allow the rest of the spring to soften things out as the shock travels upwards. My springs are within the manual tolerance and look to be in good order.

Could the manual be wrong?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 3:28 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
BroOKS2K9 wrote:
(Snip)

Can someone explain why I suddenly have a front wheel wobble? If I let go of the handlebars, anything below 40mph produces serious wobbles.  Any ideas?
(Snip)

I’ve split the “front wheel wobble” discussion to its own topic.

Where is the split post? I do not see it on the left side?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 3:48 am

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 4:01 am

Well, I've been reading about springs and orientation from all kinds of sources and it seems that there is no answer. Different bikes seem to have progressive springs fitted in different ways. Some people have also claimed that their manual is wrong. Others, who have a more scientific understanding of how springs work, suggest the tighter coil should be at the bottom.

From my own simplistic view, I reckon that, as the SW has the small rebound spring at the bottom of the piston, I'm going with the manual and put the tighter wound end at the top. I can't wait to try it out; if I ever get the free time to put the front end back together. This job is turning out to be quite an adventure...and not a pleasant one Mad
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2022 12:05 am

Something not always considered in the fork spring debate is where the spring bears on the other fork parts; take a look at the top of the damper rod and the washer/spacer on top of the spring, and you may find the orientation becomes more logical.

If in doubt, follow the manual. It says tightly wound end up. From a spring perspective it doesn't matter; its being compressed and will provide the same resistance irrespective of which way up you install it.
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2022 11:26 am

https://youtu.be/9-2xt7PV_hA

This fella did an experiment on fork spring direction. From 7 minutes in.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 5:34 am

Here's another interesting one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62wnr6Q_qaM
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 2:59 pm

I suppose Honda had to tell us to put the springs in one way or the other, so by saying 'tight coil upwards', it means we'll at least install them the same each side.

It was Del-Boy who ******* convinced me jawdrop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork spring direction   Fork spring direction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork spring direction
Page 1 of 1