Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 7:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

175 darkside tire

Go down 
+37
Easyrider
Jolly Bodger
lloyd193
Kenjj50
steve_h80
Toymeister
Modernman1953
hankster
Davefirestorm
Flyingpanman
DerrillW
razorback
tinman
gremlin
westgl
Cosmic_Jumper
bandito2
model28a
bigbird
The Scootist
tadpole
Bill Wilson
Meldrew
pancho
larryinseattle
Opalsboy
MikeO
WingMan
Waspie
JeffR_
wis-rider
Windrider
robert
john grinsel
honda_silver
txtrkdrvr
dikkiedo
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dikkiedo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-01-16

car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

will a 175/70-13 fit in place of the 165/70-13 for darksiding the honda silver wing?i have a 2006 silverwing and want to put a longer wearing tire on it i have a 175/70-13 available to me but want to make sure itll fit .
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:
Trying to convince me that that running a car tire is unsafe is as crazy as trying to convince me that Rush Limbaugh is not a drug using womanizer.

hmmmm... sounds like a certain president you probably voted for. At least rush is only talk show host.

It doesn't matter what candidate that I voted for....

Rush got caught using drugs and has been married 5 times. If you want to claim he is not a drug addict and womanizer, go ahead, but the facts are in his profile. Yea, he is a radio talk show host.... but he is the best spokesman for the far right (Fox News) and probably is laughing at his listeners as he takes his money to the bank. I enjoy listening to him.

I see even the Administrators here will take personal pot shots at the members.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 12:56 pm

I am clicking on the "Stop watching this topic" immediately after this post. Sorry to all about my hijacking the thread.

Have a nice day everyone.
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 2:26 pm

OH a limey.....thats why we drove them out and started our own country. Smile Smile Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Is that so, you're from Texas aren't you, where in the past they've flown the French, Spanish, Mexican, and Confederate flags. Neutral
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 10:06 am

Meldrew wrote:
Is that so, you're from Texas aren't you, where in the past they've flown the French, Spanish, Mexican, and Confederate flags. Neutral

Yep kicked them out TOO!!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
dikkiedo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 am

this is definately a volitile subject i was just curious about using car tires from a cost standpoint. for me buying a new tire every 7-8k miles is expensive. the average price i have found for cycle tires like bridgestone hoops is around $50 ish USD. then it is about $40 USD to have them put on, as i dont have the tools or place to put them on myself. with the sumitomo tire or a 175/70r13 alternative tire it will cost me about $70 USD for the tire plus $40 USD to install it. if i get 36k miles out of the car tire vs changing the cycle tire 3 times at a cost of $270 USD it could save me a decent amount of money which is why i ride a motorcycle instead of drive a car. here it cost more to insure and purchase a car then the $3900 USD out the door i paid for my 2006 swing with 2700 miles on it. i would imagine this will continue to be a subject that raises alot of debate but its great that everyone can discuss stuff like this and still agree on one thing ,that we all love riding regardless of what kind of cycle or tire we ride on.
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 am

I have been running car tires on the back of my bikes since the 60's. Never had a problem. Average mileage around 26000 + or - not bad.
Not a opinion....... fact. study
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:29 am

dikkiedo wrote:
if i get 36k miles out of the car tire vs changing the cycle tire 3 times at a cost of $270 USD it could save me a decent amount of money which is why i ride a motorcycle instead of drive a car.

Driving on the right side with the crown of the road on the left side, the left side of the Darkside car tire will wear faster then the ride side. When the left side groves are not deep enough to evacuate the water same test just like a car (especially in wet weather) it is time to replace the car tire.

I was able to get 40,000 miles on my Sumitomo.
Back to top Go down
Bill Wilson
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-01

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Hello again

I did find your advice on Sumitomo tire. Can you give me the folowing info

Type of Sumitomo tire and the tire pressure at wich you set it.

Thank you Honda_Silverwing
Back to top Go down
tadpole
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:07 pm

What happened to the 175 tire question? I think most of you are cry babies. I searched this thread to see if anyone had mounted a 175, I don't need your opinions, just an answer.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:09 pm

tadpole,

You should go to the "darkside" section of this site for answers. We started that since many arguments started over people putting a car tire on their SWings. Also, don't call people 'cry babies' or say things like 'just give me the answer". It comes off wrong and you have only made 4 posts since joining. I suggest you think a bit more before you post.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Wow! Many Kudos to you JeffR! You exercised far more restraint and PC-ness than I would have for such a rude comment. We sure don't need that type of behavior around here!
Back to top Go down
tadpole
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Sorry ," opinionated" should have been my choice of words. Thanks for your suggestion.  Darn thread robbery seems so prevalent. Perhaps I am missing something,  is there such a thing as a "thread robbery alert" so I could have been for warned? To stay on subject, I used a rule and measured, I'll have a little mud and gravel get packed up on the swing arm. I'll try to be have. Could someone point out my syntax errors please, you know who you are.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 am

tadpole wrote:
Could someone point out my syntax errors please,  you know who you are.

Tadpole, don't start poking sticks at other members. If there is a problem, you should be PM'ing any admin. There is no place here for nonsense. We are here to learn, help, discuss, and enjoy.

I'm not going to remove your baiting comment. I want all to see what you've posted, how we deal with it, and that you've now got 2 official warnings from the admins. Another warning and you're looking at a cooling off period.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:06 am

Evil or Very Mad Rage
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 am

tadpole wrote:
Sorry ," opinionated" should have been my choice of words. Thanks for your suggestion.  Darn thread robbery seems so prevalent. Perhaps I am missing something,  is there such a thing as a "thread robbery alert" so I could have been for warned? To stay on subject, I used a rule and measured, I'll have a little mud and gravel get packed up on the swing arm. I'll try to be have. Could someone point out my syntax errors please,  you know who you are.
OK. I'll bite....... study 

Should have been "my word of choice." rather than "my choice of words." The word "opinionated" was the only word used. It was only a single word, whereas a plurality of words would have called for the added "s" and would have been valid if there were other words in your stated choice.

Darned not Darn. Not the present tense, but rather the past tense verb "darned" should have been used.

The statement "Perhaps I am missing something," should have ended with a period instead of a comma and the following word "is"  should have been started with a capitalized "Is" to indicate the start of a new sentence that was a question and separate idea. To make it correct, the sentence would have needed to be formulated differently to bring continuity to the ideas of the question about "thread robbery alert" and "perhaps I'm missing something" Which BTW, should have ended with a question mark to signify it being a question if that was the intent rather than being posed as a statement.

"forewarned?", not "for warned?" It is a single word and the "e" was dropped.

"I used a rule and measured," should have ended with a period instead of a comma indicating the end of a sentence and the completion of the idea in that sentence. "I'll have a little mud and gravel get packed up on the swing arm." was a statement that was a separate idea.

The single word "behave" should have been used, not "be have."

How's that? (I'm no pro, but still pretty sharp, so maybe I've missed something.)

Anyway, to stay on subject, I had a 175/70R13 mounted onto a rear rim once upon a time. But it looked far too large and I never got it put on my 2006 Silverwing; didn't even try. Instead I waited until the tire on the slightly wobbly wheel wore out. Then it was replaced with a new wheel and a 165/65R13 tire which comes closer to the stock scooter tire diameter than any of the other available passenger vehicle tires. No negative effect on the ABS system, which still works exactly as it should with that tire in use.

So, to answer the the question posed by the OP, I have to say I don't know for sure if a 175/70R12 will fit within the wheel space. But it does fit on the rear rim. If it does fit on the bike, It would most certainly make the odometer under-report mileage and the speedometer to read lower than what it normally would. I'm just guessing on this part, but it would seem reasonable to suspect that it would have a negative effect on a bike equipped with ABS. I would also worry about clearance and the tire making contact when going over bumps that cause the rear wheel to go up possibly causing the tire to contact the underside of the scooter. And it is fairly wide as well and may be too wide to fit without rubbing the sidewall of the tire on some part of the bike.

I wonder if the OP actually tried it. It would be interesting to find out the results.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 am

bandito2,

Did you take English in school? I did but I'm not very good at 'sentence structure". Nice post.
Back to top Go down
tadpole
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 5:28 am

JeffR_ wrote:
bandito2,

Did you take English in school?  I did but I'm not very good at 'sentence structure".  Nice post.

I know it's off topic, but I'll respond anyway.

Thank you. I guess I paid attention in class but I think it comes from when as a child and looking at Encyclopedia Britannica that my parents got talked into buying from the door to door salesmen. I wanted so much to know what all the words meant. I would pretend and imagine what the captions beneath pictures would say.  study 

When I started learning words, I wanted to know more... It was like breaking a secret code to know what words meant. And I noticed some basic patterns of how things were arranged. Like how groups of related ideas were gathered into paragraphs which made reading and absorbing ideas easier. And even sentences were mostly single ideas rather than a whole bunch of ideas strung together in one continuous piece. And how punctuation accented sentences with expression!!! pauses, and ends. (among other things)

After subjecting myself to the shredding, disregard to protocol, misuse and abuse of proper English, grammar, vocabulary and spelling that is rampant on the internet, I've just about conceded to the facts of life. It still bothers me some, but not as bad as it used to when people improperly use words interchangeably like there, they're and their, and misusing words like "then" when the word "than" should be used. I know what they mean, but it is like looking a scratched and scribbled picture of a house; the lines are crooked and things are drawn out of proportion. Not a very good drawing, but you know that it is meant to be a house. I rarely say anything about it unless asked. (like this time) Or, when something is just so bad, even the bad spellers will ask a poster about what the heck are they trying to say.

I hope that people will follow by example. (I can dream about it right? LOL!) I'm pretty sure most can understand the way I post. I try to draw a picture in the minds eye with words. THAT is the gist of how I understood and learned reading and later, when writing.

And with the post that I responded to that I initially perceived as sarcasm, I responded to make light of it and turn it into something a little more pleasant. (I think it worked, judging by the responses I got.)

BTW, A practice or habit that I have when writing is to put things into parenthesis. (like this) and think of them as though bubbles rather than make a sentence go on too long by putting in a comma. I know it's not proper writing protocol, but what the heck! this is the internet after all. LOL!!!

OK, I'm done....... now back to the subject of the 175/70 darkside tire.

Like I said in a prior post, I'm not so sure that tire will work for the Silverwing. But the 165/65R13 that I have used for the last 3300 miles so far has worked flawlessly for me.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am

bandito2 wrote:
I try to draw a picture in the minds eye with words.

I believe it's "mind's eye".

I should have been an English teacher.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:54 am

Ouch!...Nuns with three-sided rulers...sore knuckles... All this is resurecting surpressed elementary school memories.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 12:56 pm

bigbird wrote:
bandito2 wrote:
I try to draw a picture in the minds eye with words.

I believe it's "mind's eye".

I should have been an English teacher.

Would you believe it must have been just a typographical error?.... No?... Well then it must have been that I missed class that day when they were teaching how to transform singular nouns into their possessive form by adding an apostrophe and an s. (I might have have actually been skipping school that day....baaaaad me!)
OR: No! Wait! The dog ate my homework. No, no, no, that's not it....ummmm.... I was abducted by aliens! Yeah that's the ticket. LOL!
 alien beamed up

Still, I wonder if the the OP ever tried putting the 175/70R13 on his Silverwing.... Maybe no follow up means that he did not.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 1:32 pm

bandito2 wrote:
Still, I wonder if the the OP ever tried putting the 175/70R13 on his Silverwing.... Maybe no follow up means that he did not.

You can probably ask him that if he gets past the Department of Forum Security for the third time.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Meldrew wrote:
bandito2 wrote:

You can probably ask him that if he gets past the Department of Forum Security for the third time.  Smile 

I probably won't be able to. The OP signed on near the end of Jan. 2012 then his last message was posted only a little over 4 months later...... Not a peep from him since.
Maybe he was abducted by aliens.  affraid 

alien beamed up 

Just kidding.

Last edited by bandito2 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Meldrew wrote:

You called?

We're harsher than the US's Homeland Security.

Anyone volunteering for a strip search?

If so, I'll let another admin handle that.  rolling laughter 
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Since i went to a CT car tire I would NEVER go back to a MT Motorcycle Tire, I have experienced to many benefits to go back wards.

That said, with the CT you are gaining 3X + the tire patch area in contact with the ground, going wider may be only for looks, and may degrade performance slightly.

Compare the OEM  Motorcycle tire to the CT tire you are looking at for comparison, weight, height, at least that is what i went by.

With that much more tire contact area on the ground, then for me that is, it boils down to weight and flywheel effect of the bike, heavier tire (flywheel effect) slower to accelerate, heavier tire, longer braking in feet to fully stopped.

While it is true the CVT will compensate for taller shorter tires and this causing gear ratio changes, the CVT makes this mainly a Non issue, but weight is a issue, to any spinning disc.

Also, I look at Over all diameter, On my bike It changed my speedo from error over speed, to very close to right on at 60mph, that good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
westgl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2014-04-11

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Wow I don't think I want to be part of a forum like this one, read through many post I'm OUT!!!
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2016 12:17 am

westgl wrote:
Wow I don't think I want to be part of a forum like this one, read through many post I'm OUT!!!

Sorry to hear that, but if you are dishing out dubious advice ( not related to the main interest of this forum ) by the bucket load and cannot accept a modest amount of rejection, then you are probably better off looking for a more suitable place to share with equally wise members. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2016 2:40 am

westgl wrote:

I see you edited your posts about the evils of conventional medicine before you left. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 12:43 am

I have a 175 70 13 snow grip tire that sat in my garage for 3 + yrs .At $5.00 = disposal fees.It was to tall for my short inseam. with my trike kit installed ,I installed it last summer and it work just fin, no clearance problems . MPG change a bit due to tire hight,and odometer reading.
Back to top Go down
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-01-31

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 am

westgl wrote:
Since i went to a CT car tire I would NEVER go back to a MT Motorcycle Tire, I have experienced to many benefits to go back wards.

That said, with the CT you are gaining 3X + the tire patch area in contact with the ground, going wider may be only for looks, and may degrade performance slightly.

Compare the OEM  Motorcycle tire to the CT tire you are looking at for comparison, weight, height, at least that is what i went by.

With that much more tire contact area on the ground, then for me that is, it boils down to weight and flywheel effect of the bike, heavier tire (flywheel effect) slower to accelerate, heavier tire, longer braking in feet to fully stopped.

While it is true the CVT will compensate for taller shorter tires and this causing gear ratio changes, the CVT makes this mainly a Non issue, but weight is a issue, to any spinning disc.

Also, I look at Over all diameter, On my bike It changed my speedo from error over speed, to very close to right on at 60mph, that good enough for me.

ditto
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 10:43 pm

I think that "doughnut" tire that impersonates a spare in my car would work. It looks more like it belongs on a scoot than an auto. Hope I never need it....
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 10:51 am

DerrillW wrote:
I think that "doughnut" tire that impersonates a spare in my car would work. It looks more like it belongs on a scoot than an auto. Hope I never need it....

While it would probably fit, the "doughnut" spare may only "work" as a temporary on a bike because of its limited speed and load rating, not to mention limited tread life. Wouldn't make sense to use one because of those limitations. So even for a "Darkside" rider, that would be a poor choice of car tire to use on one's bike. Just sayin.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Mr. Bandito2...

Intended as humor even though load limit would be the least of the problems. Please don't anyone try it. It's a sorry excuse for a tire even as a spare.

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 4:51 am

Wow, I joined this forum recently and just scanned through this thread. Users say that car tyres (tires - yes I'm in the UK) perform well on a two-wheeler. Well, looking at the squarer profile of the average car tyre and the rubber compound used, I would say, "No chance". I'll stick to purpose-designed two-wheeler tyres.

Putting all those arguments aside, I am surprised at one glaring oversight from our US cousins. We live in a very litigious society - especially in the USA. If any of you car tyre users became involved in an accident, your insurance company would probably wash their hands of you when they discover a car tyre has been fitted.

I hope it never happens to any of you, but if it was deemed you contributed towards the accident and compensation was awarded to the (physically injured/maimed/killed) third party, you'd be stuffed. Your insurance would look for a loophole to wriggle out of paying, and a car tyre having been fitted by you would be perfect.

You choose what you want to use - it's a "free" society, but if you're willing to risk paying out $100,000's that's up to you. Many laws are for protection against ourselves.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:16 am

Tyres are the most important things on a bike from a safety aspect (alongside brakes) I'd never stick a car tyre on my bike.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:38 am

You're wasting your time gents, there's a different mindset across the Pond. The benefits and disadvantages of levering car tyres on a Silver Wing has long been a source of merriment on here. Even minor criticism winds these self-styled Darksiders up and I'm afraid they don't like it.

They were given their own corner of the forum to play quietly amongst themselves so the majority of us couldn't rubbish their claims, but they crave a larger audience to tell everyone about some obscure tyre brand they've stuck on, and the tens of thousands of miles it lasts.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:49 am

Haven't had time to navigate the site properly yet to see whats what.Get your drift though.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 6:43 am

Meldrew, to some extent I can understand that riders over the pond with their long straight roads have a different mindset, but Insurance Co.'s are the same the world over!

So have ANY of these car tyre users asked their insurance companies if they approve of using a car tyre on a motorcycle?

And if so, did they approve?
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 7:15 am

Best bet would be to google darkside tire. ALL of this has been discussed MANY times on MANY forums, you can get all your answers there.

Just to answer one, there is no insurance restrictions in the US on darksiding. In the UK there are laws against it and you would not pass MOT.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 9:17 am

As it says above, this subject has been discussed many times before. If anyone here in the UK is interested there's a topic on page 18 of Silver Wing Topics titled 'UK Darkside Experience’ from a few years ago. The OP is a bloke from Sheffield who has stuck a car tyre on his Silver Wing and seems very smug about it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Nope, not interested. I shall say no more on the subject Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:44 pm

I just ordered one and will mount it up next week.

If anyone is interested in the results, they can send me a PM.
Back to top Go down
Toymeister
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I rode a SW for years dark side it worked well until the day it did not.

I was traveling at 78 mph. at the time, I know silverwings, as I have owned two I can assure you the Sumitoto caused my accident. I understand the dark side enthusiasts and I am not here to criticize them. Car tires wear great, they have fantastic traction they handle great almost all the time. It almost cost me my life.

I doubt there are many dark side survivors out there. The performance problems appear at higher speeds, at least it did for me. If you do choose DS I would not use a Sumitoto, in fact I would avoid it. But it's your call.

As for me, I am grateful to be alive, landing in a grassy median saved me. Sheer luck.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 pm

So what happened?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 1:11 am

Toymeister wrote:
I rode a SW for years dark side it worked well until the day it did not.

I was traveling at 78 mph. at the time, I know silverwings, as I have owned two I can assure you the Sumitoto caused my accident.  I understand the dark side enthusiasts and I am not here to criticize them.  Car tires wear great, they have fantastic traction they handle great almost all the time.  It almost cost me my life.

I doubt there are many dark side survivors out there.  The performance problems appear at higher speeds, at least it did for me. If you do choose DS I would not use a Sumitoto, in fact I would avoid it.  But it's your call.

As for me,  I am grateful to be alive, landing in a grassy median saved me.  Sheer luck.

How did the tire cause your accident?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 8:02 am

All tires can fail under the right condition MC & DS tires alike . My Avon Stryker tire failed with in 1500 kl. Tire pressure, or a slash cut on any tire will cause a failure. One need's to check and inspect tires regularly and even then a tire failure can happen . Don't blame the DS tire, pilot error is most likely the culprit if one has many miles on a tire , something's don't add up . affraid
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 9:35 am

Car tire cause accident?--very possible, if tire came off rim----bike rims and car rims at the bead different. There is SAE paper on this......my long standing opinion on this......scooter handles bad enough stock.....why add square tire, designed for other use, and really scew things up.

Car tires work on sidecar outfits.....with car rims....my experience MZ - factory sidecar---rear wheel/special rim---offset tube, 2CV 15" tire---worked well, not really cheap conversion
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 3:43 pm

When a proper bike tyre squares off the handling goes and it dances over grooves and road marking in a most disconcerting manor (white lining). At that point they should replaced. i can't see the point of putting a ready squared off tyre on a bike, unless you plan to stick to straight lines, gentle speed and slow corners it must be a pita :-) just sayin ... :-)
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 4:56 pm

I've read about all that's on this forum about tires (scooter and auto). Dollar wise, it appears to be a tempest in a teapot! I bought my Pirelli Diablos about 3,000 miles back. I expect I will replace them (barring incident) at about 9,000 miles. I bought them from my Honda dealer and had him mount them. I think the total was under $200. That figures about $0.02 per mile for riding on scooter tires. At my present rate, it will take me about 30 months to ride 9,000 miles. That suggests my annual tire cost is about $80 or $6.65 per month. I guess if I could ride 10,000 miles per year, the tire cost issue might be more of an issue, but I think I will stick with scooter tires on my scooter and auto tires on my auto!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 175 darkside tire   car tire - 175 darkside tire - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

175 darkside tire
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next