Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 8:35 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 11:11 am

» checking the oil
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 8:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 5:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 3:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 2:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 6:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 3:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? Empty
PostSubject: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Found this on the net: http://www.reviewcentre.com/review155130.html

The key statement is:
"Do check the front suspension well, mine was knackered after 5000 kms, and no, I didn't go off road"

Someone then replied:

"What this person complains about in the 2001 model doesn't exist in the 2003 and up models."

Since I own a 2001 SW and I was wondering what they are referring to?
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:10 pm

I can't really answer your question as to what they did to change the suspension but I also own a 2001. She only had 1700 miles on her but was 9 years old, had been left out in the elements and the forks had pitted badly,thus damaging the fork seals under compression and losing oil. I bought a second hand set from another old Swing, not sure of the year but also non ABS. The handling was much improved obviously but I ordered and fitted a set of Hyperpro springs after reading so much about them here. The difference is quite astounding. She now handles akin to a motorcycle, taking bends much faster and much more planted on the road. For the cost involved £116.35 delivered, including oil (20w) in my opinion, the best upgrade you can do. (ok, maybe an Airflow screen 1st)
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Hmmm, very interesting, thanks Goldwinger. I've often found the front suspenion is the bit I least like about my SW. It tends to lunge forward when I occassionaly have to brake sharply. This can really be quite scarey if it happens once in a blue moon at speed.

To save me looking for the wrong thing in the wrong places, do you have a UK link to the Hyperpro springs? Also what is a standard motorcycle shop likely to charge me to fit them?
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Calsport

Where abouts are you? The whole job (remove forks, empty oil, fill with new oil, change springs, refit forks) took about an hour total, very simple. If you're close, I'll help if you need it?

There is no noticeable nose dive now, even under heavy braking or front end lifting under hard acceleration.

Calsport only list 2003 onwards for springs, so I called them and one size fits ALL Swings.

Ian
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 am

Hi Ian. That's a very kind offer. I'm over in Borough Green, Kent (not so far from the Oakdene cafe). Canvey Island isn't that far for me to ride over to you.

Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 5:34 am

I'm on Skype most days so you could call me via that or PM me for my phone number. We would need a good day weather wise as my garage is full!!! lol Seriously, it only takes an hour for the whole process, so I'm sure we can sort it out. I didn't change the fork cap seals (didn't engage brain before starting the job) but you may want to get a replacement pair, I don't think they will be very expensive. You can order from here David Silver Honda
They seem to be reasonably priced for parts and are usually very fast posting the items, plus they are helpful if you call them.

Ian
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 7:05 am

David Silver is supposedly ceasing the sale of parts for 'modern' bikes so I don't know where the Swing will fit in. Another source I have been told of for postal service is Wemoto (www.wemoto.com ) and of course there is always your local Honda dealer !!
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:02 am

Just been on the phone to David Silver and they can provide the fork cap seals at just under £5 delivered. However he asked if I needed the front fork bolts (at £25+ per bolt) and I said I doubted it.

My SW has only done 5K (garaged) so I'm assuming it's the seals I need and not replacement bolts?

The Hyperpro Spring kit is on order from Calsport, but estimated delivery is 2 weeks. Could be more if the factory goes on their 2 week annual summer holiday, but Calsport thinks there's time to get the order through before then.

Re the 20W oil, is this something I can walk into Halfords and buy or does it need a dedicated bike shop?
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:10 am

You probably don't NEED to replace the seals, but for a fiver, it's better to be safe. I do have two spare caps with old seals but, as I said, for £5......

You don't need the bolts and if we did lose, break or magically evaporate one, I have four spares from the old fork steering head. (I bought the complete assembly of head stock, forks, front disc, wheel etc)

Let me know when your springs arrive and we can sort out getting the little buggers installed and getting you a proper handling Scoot!!!

Ian

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?   what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what was wrong with the 2001 front suspension?
Page 1 of 1