Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?

Go down 
+6
rcarrillojr
RArch
johnd
Cosmic_Jumper
matthew
Baillywick
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Baillywick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-13

Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? Empty
PostSubject: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I have 2200 miles on my SW. The front springs are so soft I dont feel in control when I make hard fast turns.
I have purchased Hyperpro Springs to replace the originals.
I have some mechanical experience and lots of tools.
It has been mentioned that I need a compression tool to complete this job myself. This is one tool I dont have and dont know much about.
Does any one have experience replacing their front springs.
How did it go, is this something I should try myself?
The shop wanted $350 labor to do this?
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:32 pm

You don't need, in my opinion, and based on my relatively recent - last year -
experience in replacing my springs and seals with hyperpros, any "compression tool", by which I assume you mean an impact wrench. Some folks have felt that they needed this tool to either remove or replace the fork caps, but I found it unnecessary, and I did the job alone. Instead, a friend offered this idea, which I used with easy success: place the end of the tube with its cap inside of a cloth shopping bag, and wrench the cap off. The spring loaded cap will simply poof into the bag, thus avoiding any possible danger to your eyes, for example, and also avoiding the possibility of losing the cap. You might want to wear a work glove on the hand inside the bag just as a precaution against any injury to it caused by the "flying" cap.

I found the job to be relatively easy, if you have some mechanical skill. I have some, but I'm by no means a professional or frequent mechanic, just basically capable with my hands and head.

If you do a search here on the forum for "fork springs", I think you'll find some descriptions of the job, and even some photos. Of course, it would be advisable to have the service manual on hand.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Not a difficult job if you are comfortable doing your own work. There are several other posts here explaining the process.

No need to remove the front fairing.

Best tip I have is to loosen the pinch bolts (~70 ft lbs) before you raise the front end or remove the front wheel.

Do you have the Service Manual?
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: springs   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:57 pm

I also have tools and enjoy turning wrenches but in this case I decided to let my mechanic do the work after I removed the forks my self.
All you have to do is remove the front wheel with a motorcycle jack. I don't remember if I had to remove the brake the break caliper but it is easy.
Remove 4 pinch bolts up under the head light and the tubes fall right out.
My mechanic charged me $35.00 and I would never go back to the soft originals. I had 12,000 miles on it then and now 21,000.
The only thing that has gone wrong that whole time was a relay went out on me 40 miles from no were. On a block called Los Lobos. The wolfes. Great now what. affraid
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:54 am

Just fitted Hyperpro springs and oil to mine yesterday. No special tools other than a torque wrench was required.

I only went for a short ride afterwards but the difference is very noticeable, it feels a lot more sure footed.

Do a search for Hyperpro on here, you will find lots help and tips.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Baillywick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Very Helpfull. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm

I have been looking for Hyperpro suspension for my 2007 SW. I can't find it anywhere. Where did you buy yours and for how much? Please help. Smile
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:45 pm

http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-springs.htm

Price list, scroll down to Honda bikes, FJS600 Silverwing: $159
http://www.wilbersusa.com/price-lists/Springs%2002-12.pdf
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Sounds like a good option when I decide to change mine out!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 pm

rcarrillojr wrote:
I have been looking for Hyperpro suspension for my 2007 SW. I can't find it anywhere. Where did you buy yours and for how much? Please help. Smile

A simple google search will offer up loads of options to buy. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 am

If its "springs" on the front whats those things called on the rear? Razz
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am

Shocks.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:35 pm

matthew wrote:
Shocks.
Your almost correct. Shocks are on the front, spring/shock combo on the rear. Now u know.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:56 pm

hotwings wrote:
If its "springs" on the front whats those things called on the rear? Razz

Bouncy bits!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Waspie, Some are bouncy, others just floppy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?   Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has any ever replaced the front suspension springs?
Page 1 of 1