Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front suspension pinch bolt issue

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
DavidL
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2022-06-17

Front suspension pinch bolt issue Empty
PostSubject: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 8:29 am

Hi all

Picked up some useful info from here that has assisted with the servicing of my new to me SW. It is obvious that it had been neglected by the previous owners.

I am working through everything and whilst doing this I noticed under the faring one of the pinch bolts (top right one) securing the front suspension top was half hanging out. Removed faring and removed the bolt as it was simply not just unscrewing. The thread was stripped.

Ordered 4 new bolts and proceeded to fit and replace all 4. However the top right one just strips the thread of the new bolt. Will the thread need re-tapping? I read somewhere that there is a location slot on the suspension but can't see one near the bolt entry. The other 3 bolts replaced easily.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

David
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 am

Opening the door on the Wayback Machine (aka the Search window) I found a previous discussion regarding front end work.

Hopefully your stripped bolt isn’t the top one. That’s the bolt which fits in the fork tube groove. If it’s the lower bolt hole which is stripped then you may be able to rethread to a larger size or use a longer thru bolt & nut so that the fork tube is securely pinched. Below is a link and a photo which might help.

The above said, the “official” advise is to replace that stripped steering stem.

https://www.silverwing600.com/viewimage?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.servimg.com%2Fu%2Ff37%2F13%2F47%2F36%2F26%2Ffile0114.jpg

Front suspension pinch bolt issue Cd20e210
Back to top Go down
DavidL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 9:56 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Opening the door on the Wayback Machine (aka the Search window) I found a previous discussion regarding front end work.

Hopefully your stripped bolt isn’t the top one. That’s the bolt which fits in the fork tube groove. If it’s the lower bolt hole which is stripped then you may be able to rethread to a larger size or use a longer thru bolt & nut so that the fork tube is securely pinched. Below is a link and a photo which might help.

The above said, the “official” advise is to replace that stripped steering stem.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it is the top bolt.

The tube groove, I presume that the bottom bolt slots in to this, is that correct?

Is there a reason the top can not be re-threaded?

David
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 10:35 am

DavidL wrote:
The tube groove, I presume that the bottom bolt slots in to this, is that correct?
David

IIRC it’s the top bolt which fits the fork tube groove. I assume that either of those bolt holes can be re-threaded. But it might get a bit knotty finding a new bolt which also fits that fork tube groove properly.

But perhaps others, with more recent fork tube experience, will chime in and show me to be wrong. It won’t be the first time —nor the last (I’m sure).
Back to top Go down
DavidL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 11:48 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
DavidL wrote:
David

IIRC it’s the top bolt which fits the fork tube groove. I assume that either of those bolt holes can be re-threaded. But it might get a bit knotty finding a new bolt which also fits that fork tube groove properly.

But perhaps others, with more recent fork tube experience, will chime in and show me to be wrong. It won’t be the first time —nor the last (I’m sure).

Thanks

I did check this groove earlier, through the slot gap it appeared to be between where the bolts go?? (I may be wrong). So would mean the top of the shock would sink below the top of the clamp if it is the top bolt. Or pop out of top if the bottom bolt. The left side, the top is more of less flush with the top. Hope this makes sense.

Hopefully somebody can confirm which bolt sits in the groove.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 1:21 pm

From memory the fork tube sits proud of the top of the stem by about 3-4mm.

Without thinking too much about the technicalities, could you find a longer bolt of the same diameter which would allow you to use a nut on the other end to create the 'pinch'?
Back to top Go down
DavidL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
From memory the fork tube sits proud of the top of the stem by about 3-4mm.

Without thinking too much about the technicalities, could you find a longer bolt of the same diameter which would allow you to use a nut on the other end to create the 'pinch'?

I had thought of a nut at the back but the hole is not all the way through and slanted at the back so no flat surface and a very long bolt would be required.

Tomorrow I will check the slot/groove and options of where the bolts fit and positioning of the shock. Although I may need to jack up the frame to lower the front wheel and I don't have a jack available at present.

Can't find any images to confirm if the top or bottom bolt sits in the groove so if anybody can confirm this would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 2:53 pm

"Can't find any images to confirm if the top or bottom bolt sits in the groove so if anybody can confirm this would be appreciated."

The upper bolt is clearly the one that catches the groove, is placed inward towards the tube, the bolts are not aligned with each other, those bolts require a lot of torque (51 ft/lbs or 69 N/m) to clamp those forks correctly and are a structural part of fork assy., no easy fixes here. A proper thread fix or installing a Heli coil may be able to handle the fork stress, is a heavy scooter, a used salvage yard part may be the best/safe solution. Those bolts should be torqued evenly, with several steps of increasing torque values to final number, torquing one bolt alone to max torque will overstress the threads.

I would not recommend drilling thru part, it may cause a stress/failure point, there's a lot of twisting forces on that single steering stem.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 3:07 pm

zrx212 wrote:
The upper bolt is clearly the one that catches the groove, is placed inward towards the tube, the bolts are not aligned with each other, those bolts require a lot of torque (51 ft/lbs or 69 N/m) to clamp those forks correctly and are a structural part of fork assy., no easy fixes here. A proper thread fix or installing a Heli coil may be able to handle the fork stress, is a heavy scooter, a used salvage yard part may be the best/safe solution. Those bolts should be torqued evenly, with several steps of increasing torque values to final number, torquing one bolt alone to max torque will overstress the threads.

I would not recommend drilling thru part, it may cause a stress/failure point, there's a lot of twisting forces on that single steering stem.  

There ya go! Take that as gospel.
Back to top Go down
DavidL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 6:23 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
DavidL wrote:

Update on this. I suspected that there was a problem with the location of the shocker groove in relation to the bolt(s). Taken the shockers off and can see the groove is lower than where the bolt was located.

Photo's below (hopefully they show)

Pic 1: where the shocker was and bolt hole nowhere near the groove. Groove half way between bolts
Pic 2: Shows the grove and where it would need to be located so to be in line with the top bolt
Pic 3: Shows shocker in place with the groove lined up with top bolt.

So if I mount as per photo 3 the shocker will be far much higher than it was installed by the previous owner. Does this seem correct?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Front suspension pinch bolt issue Photo110
Front suspension pinch bolt issue Photo210
Front suspension pinch bolt issue Photo310

Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 8:30 am

Yes, the second and last photos are correct, a portion of fork tube normally protrudes above fork clamping area, only way it will align with groove an allow a bolt to be installed/threaded correctly, obviously it was improperly installed before scratch , maybe your threads are fine Question Good thing you noticed before affraid , make sure you torque/tighten evenly, very important.
Back to top Go down
DavidL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 11:52 am

zrx212 wrote:
Yes, the second and last photos are correct, a portion of fork tube normally protrudes above fork clamping area, only way it will align with groove an allow a bolt to be installed/threaded correctly, obviously it was improperly installed before scratch , maybe your threads are fine Question Good thing you noticed before affraid , make sure you torque/tighten evenly, very important.

Thanks, yes threads seem ok, ran a tap through to confirm.

I always torque to spec but good tip re tightening evenly and gradual between each bolt.  cheers

Whilst they are off I am going to have seals replaced. chickendance
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 7:16 pm

Good to hear is all sorted, like the old adage " A picture is worth a thousand words " when you are trying to convey information thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 1:27 pm

If you need a steering stem i have a couple of them
Back to top Go down
kitchenman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Check the head bearings while the forks are off, replace with tapered rollers
Back to top Go down
http://kitchenman.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension pinch bolt issue   Front suspension pinch bolt issue I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front suspension pinch bolt issue
Page 1 of 1