Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» noise under load
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 11:13 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 8:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 4:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 9:53 am

» checking the oil
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 7:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 4:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finally kissed the road...

Go down 
+2
Loosemarbles
dovahkiin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

Finally kissed the road... Empty
PostSubject: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 6:25 am

Happened earlier last Thursday. Was on my way to meet a client at a corporate event. Weather was sunny, right after heavy rain. Doing 40-50km/hr, and lo and behold...

I self-skidded. Wheels felt like it locked up on me. Ended up rear-ending another fellow biker (who thankfully managed to stay on his NC750X), and I fell onto my left side and kissed the road. Fairing on the left took a big hit. Thankfully I didn't skid far.

Finally kissed the road... Swing_16
Finally kissed the road... Swing_17
Finally kissed the road... Swing_15
Finally kissed the road... Swing_18

Busted the main front fairing, head lamp assy. and much more. Forks were off-centered from the skid, but I managed to ride it to my go-to workshop some 20km away.

Big yikes...

Just a thought, but even though fairings and forks were all busted up, engine and transmission were still buttery smooth on the ride to the workshop. Talk about Honda reliability! LOL.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 10:18 am

It's always wise to remember the fact that you are OK, (you didn't mention being injured). The bike damage looks nasty. You might be able to keep a lot of the tupperware but it'll need some handywork. You might find that some of the tupperware separation hasn't actually snapped the tabs. They may have just popped out.

I feel for you. It's a daunting sight. Keep us posted on what you plan to do.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 10:47 am

Sorry to hear (really sorry)- the issue is these bikes are so old you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of cosmetic repair (it would be to me up to a dollar point so long as cost was not excessive). They don’t make them any longer so it’s a complex decision.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 7:01 pm

She's far younger then you Erdoc, of course she is worth repairing dohhhhhhh Rolling Eyes

I hope your partner does not ask the same question should you receive a bonk on the news and slap on the face........lol

Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 7:14 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:

It's always wise to remember the fact that you are OK, (you didn't mention being injured). The bike damage looks nasty. You might be able to keep a lot of the tupperware but it'll need some handywork. You might find that some of the tupperware separation hasn't actually snapped the tabs. They may have just popped out.

I feel for you. It's a daunting sight. Keep us posted on what you plan to do.

Thankfully I was going at low speed, so I managed to walk away with some scrapes and bruises on my left elbow and knee.

Erdoc48 wrote:
Sorry to hear (really sorry)- the issue is these bikes are so old you have to wonder if it’s worth the cost of cosmetic repair (it would be to me up to a dollar point so long as cost was not excessive). They don’t make them any longer so it’s a complex decision.

Yeah it's hardly worth it to cosmetically get it back into showroom condition. I've got the mechanics to repair/glue back the main tabs. They followed up by drilling holes to zip tie the fairings together.

Moving forward, I will be riding this for another year until its certificate of entitlement (COE) expires. Might be sunk cost fallacy, but I've spent too much on its engine, replacing transmission parts and this recent skid to now call it quits.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2022 4:27 pm

The way that's separated reminds me of my Swing after my farm adventures.
Check down low in the front that the plastics haven't jumped off the steel. I think the bottom of the left storage compartment sits on a lug and the plastics are supported by it.

I got mine relocated and then trimmed a bit of wood to sit between the storage compartment and the outside fairing. Once it was all sung and aligned, I drilled a hole through all of them and put a fairly discrete bolt through.
Back to top Go down
GaryC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2020-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2022 6:45 am

As others have stated, the main thing is that you survived with relatively minor injuries (easy for me to say!). My own attitude is that if I do go down that'll be IT. With this in mind, can you tell us about the make, model and condition of the tires? That factor is actually more important to me than the brakes, believe it or not. As you've said these Hondas are amazing machines... hope you can find whatever spares you need to make you proud.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally kissed the road...   Finally kissed the road... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally kissed the road...
Page 1 of 1