Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? Empty
PostSubject: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 pm

In the manual it says to remove crankcase breather tube plug to let it drain once in a while. Mine doesn't have one and I've looked at 3 other Silver Wings and none of them have a plug. Checked at a dealer and they couldn't find it in the system. Does it exist and just get lost? Does it serve a useful purpose? Thanks

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:56 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: My plug is missing, is this a problem?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks. I know where the tube itself is. As I said, I went to a dealer to ask them for a plug and they couldn't find one anywhere on their parts diagrams and I have looked at several used Silver Wings and none of them had a plug in this hose. Does anyone know if this effects performance, etc. or is it just to stop the gunk from hitting the bottom of the scooter?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:25 am

PLUG, BREATHER TUBE
17370-419-700

If the plug is missing...Replace it. If Gone, it will allow all sorts of dirt/dust and small chrome plated Harley-Davidson parts and whatevers to be sucked in the motor.

Item #18

Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? Aircle10
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks Dennis!
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I don't have a great picture of my drain tube but it is visible from the left side. It is just behind the side stand and just in front of the center stand. The tube is transparent, pinkish in color on my SilverWing. It has a black plastic cap held with a spring clamp on the tube.
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? Drain_10
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks, it was the plug I wasn't sure about it. Can you also tell me what the other clear tube is located behind the crankcase breather?

Buickguy wrote:
I don't have a great picture of my drain tube but it is visible from the left side. It is just behind the side stand and just in front of the center stand. The tube is transparent, pinkish in color on my SilverWing. It has a black plastic cap held with a spring clamp on the tube.
Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? Drain_10
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 am

[quote="DennisB"]PLUG, BREATHER TUBE
17370-419-700

If the plug is missing...Replace it. If Gone, it will allow all sorts of dirt/dust and small chrome plated Harley-Davidson parts and whatevers to be sucked in the motor.

Ha Ha! Awesome! It should be called "getting Küryakyn'd!
Küryakyn, is Chinese for worst garbage ever made for a motorcycle.
manufacturers should put a cutoff switch on every bike that shuts the bike off and wont let it restart until Küryakyn is no longer touching the offended ride!

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:40 am

A list of other things that can be sucked up in the tube:

Beer cans and bottles.

Space alien poo (Yes, Space alien POO).

Bugs (dead or alive).

Rocks and sand.

Chicken bones. (from chicken eaten by the space aliens).

Cigar and cigarette butts.

That chaw of tobacco that was dug out of Ba-Ba's left cheek and tossed out the window of his pick-up last week.

Turtle Poo (Yes, Turtle Poo)

And yes, the list that goes on and on....

Things you just don't want in your Silverwing motor for any reason.

Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Finally got one   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Funny but 3 dealers couldn't find the part until Dennis gave me the number probably because it's on the same diagram as the air cleaner. At 3 different dealers I also saw 4 used Silver Wings for sale, none of which had the plug installed.

Anyway I feel better now knowing I won't be sucking up any Harley (or other) parts!

BTW. The clamp you need to fasten it to the tube is a separate part (of course). The number is 95002-41200-08.
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 1:18 pm

cjuzda wrote:
Thanks, it was the plug I wasn't sure about it. Can you also tell me what the other clear tube is located behind the crankcase breather?

I'm not certain in the SilverWing but on other Honda cycles, there is a drain from the airbox itself. Its not part of the carnkcase breather like the drain tube but it allows for moisture to leave the airbox
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Last post on this :

So I got the plug and the clamp. The clamp is spring loaded but guess what? It's too big by a bit and the plug just slides out. Maybe that's why no other Silver Wings I've seen have them Smile

I squeezed the clamp to make it a bit smaller but I'm not holding out much hope it will stay on. The plug is just solid plastic so I'm thinking you could stick just about anything in that hose to plug it

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 6:02 pm

x

Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Odd, the plug seems to slide in the tube about right but there is no way the clamp fits tightly. The clamp has 2 little wings that you press together to expand it then it goes back to its normal size when you release them. Maybe the dealer gave me the wrong clamp but it looks like the right type

bigbird wrote:
cjuzda wrote:
The clamp is spring loaded but guess what? It's too big by a bit and the plug just slides out. Maybe that's why no other Silver Wings I've seen have them Smile

Just checked my plug and clamp. They're both intact and the clamp fits very tightly. There's no way I could remove either without tools.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 pm

x

Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Great suggestion, thanks!

bigbird wrote:
cjuzda wrote:
Odd, the plug seems to slide in the tube about right but there is no way the clamp fits tightly. The clamp has 2 little wings that you press together to expand it then it goes back to its normal size when you release them. Maybe the dealer gave me the wrong clamp but it looks like the right type

My suggestion would be to get rid of the loose fitting clamp and use a gear driven adjustable hose clamp in its place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?   Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dumb question: where is crankcase breather plug?
Page 1 of 1