Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Conclusion on maxi scooters

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Conclusion on maxi scooters Empty
PostSubject: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 9:57 am

after 30 years and over 400,000 miles, on my 11th new one, I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to get rid of buffeting caused by your nose being too far from tip of shield----ride a lot/long distance the buffeting can be real tiring distraction. Of the 11 maxi scooters, the 2 new Silverwings I had, with Givi adjustable windshields, handled the problem best but not perfect. I rode the SilverWings over 90,000 miles combined.

My comparison for going down the road comfort: BMW 500 twin with Heinrich upper and lowers/my new '66 HD Sidecar outfit with HD winter windshield kit and tin legshields/Vespa P200E with right shield. Guess lots of decision makers in the industry do not ride or have ridden a lot.

With my last new motorcycle Honda CB300F, I made 2 wind shields (Puig) into one that provided BUFFET free comfort---rode to James Bay Road in Quebec last year. 3/4 helmet/Long bill/Safety Glasses and of course foam ear plugs. Got tired of bike with no centerstand and open chain and sold it at 18,000 miles.

Current Kymco 2019 XTown 300i ABS, tried Puig touring shield, now back to stock shield with Laminar Lip.....and ordered new GMAX helmet with proper face shield....and I guess I will live with the buffeting! I will be 82 in the spring, but always looking ahead
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 3:33 pm

All these comparisons with Heinrich windshields are irrelevant since Heinrich stopped manufacturing accessories for BMW at least 30 years ago.

The Laminar Lip is outdated too, on a shield/screen it's no more than a plastic extension for an OE screen that's too short. It just a cheaper way to add extra screen height with out the expense of buying a replacement taller screen.

Those X-creen spoilers you clamp on the top of the screen work along the same lines, and the rider has some adjustability.

If you really want to quieten wind noise and turbulence, keep your visor/face shield clear of bugs and raindrops, you need a screen spoiler from either Touratech or Givi. They have a CNC machined metal clamp that clamps onto the top of the screen in the centre. They adjust up and down, and allow you to angle the clear spoiler to get that sweet spot that really quietens wind turbulence down.

Both are more expensive to purchase than the other two options, but if you think of them as an investment that you can remove and fit on your next maxi, then they're a cost effective accessory. There's also a variety of clear spoilers to suit the type of screen you have.

Another way to cut down on tiring and hearing damaging wind noise is to junk those disposable ear plugs and get moulds of your ear canals taken for custom made ear plugs. Disposables are made to be used once and thrown away, they're only effective if fitted correctly, and are painful if inserted in too far especially on a long ride.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 4:03 pm

#1 I have tried the clamp on extensions---MRA I think and cheap ones from Viet Nam...=save your money

#2 Laminar lips work....but not as windshield height extensions, pushing air over your head

#3 I had custom fit ear plugs in Air Force. Foam work just as well. I buy them by the big box.

Karl Heinrich sold his business to T. Jaekel….who I think is still around. Based on lots of miles behind the HEIRICH stuff=they work in all weathers. I got my first winter of 1959. And I prefer riding with open face helmet and safety glasses (I like to see what I might hit). I have fresh GMAX helmet with face shield coming.

Over the years I have spent a lot of money trying to fix bad 2 wheel designs. At 81 I think I am done wasting money.

Getting back to Maxi scooters, your nose is too far from tip of shield period---bad design!! Try big frame Vespa or new one with right shield. You are sitting close to tip of shield....and no buffeting.

Harley BatWing Fairings and their reg windshields work ok with 'windguards" on the fork lowers---keeps air from going up your nose.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Only way to solve the infinite Curmudgeon arguments via proper windshields: Drive a car.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Good idea, it's the sensible thing to do in winter. If you come off in winter weather conditions, you risk damaging yourself, scooter, riding gear, confidence, and possibly your livelihood.

With the added bonus of getting absolutely no sympathy from anyone who's aware of your mishap. All they'll say is you shouldn't have been out riding when you have a car.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 8:20 am

Drive car....who has one?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 9:50 am

john grinsel wrote:
Drive car....who has one?

Laughing  SWAG says more do that drive/ride than those that don't. Having ridden in / near everything but an earthquake at my age I prefer a car in inclement weather choice be given.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conclusion on maxi scooters   Conclusion on maxi scooters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Conclusion on maxi scooters
Page 1 of 1