Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to SWings, new to maxi scooters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

New to SWings, new to maxi scooters Empty
PostSubject: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi folks,
I’m new to the forum, and live in northwest Virginia USA.

I’m coming off multiple full size Hondas - a Pacific Coast, ST1100, and most recently a 2018 NC750X dct/abs. Plus a Suzuki DR350 and a Kawasaki KLR650 along the way.

I’ve never ridden any sort of scooter, but I found a 2006 Silverwing with 7000 miles and abs and I’m returning from picking it up. The seller was asking $3000 but I got them down to $2500 and I’m on my way back home.

It’s a nice bike but not perfect. The prior owner lives literally right on the Chesapeake bay so it’s got some pitting of the aluminum and superficial corrosion of things like the steel base of the rear view mirrors from the saltwater, and the right front fork is weeping oil so I assume I’ll have to do fork seals? The sellers son and daughter in law just took it for a 65mph romp around his neighborhood this weekend. He said he never noticed it weeping before they got back from their joy ride.

I checked it over closely, took it for a ride around the neighborhood and everything seems to work as it should. Tires have plenty of tread but they may be too old. I’ll check them more closely when I get it home.

Even if it needs some basic upkeep - fork seals, etc. - I had $3000 in my pocket so I’ll have a $500 start for buying upgrades and replacements.

The bike had set unused for four or five years at a neighbor of the seller. He bought it, rode it around town for several months, and decided to sell it.

Anything I need to know, coming off full size motorcycles all my life?

Fortunately my last bike, the NC750X was dct - Honda’s “automatic” dual clutch transmission. So I didn’t have to shift it and it had no manual clutch, so I’m already out of the habit of grabbing for the clutch with my left hand.

Last edited by BrianInVA on Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 3:48 pm

I had five strokes in 2016 that left my left leg and arm paralyzed. They put heart stents in my brain and after several months of intense physical therapy I was able to start using them again. I am left with a weak left leg with residual foot drop, but I got back on a motorcycle as soon as I could. Now upshifting is very difficult and throwing my right leg up and over a motorcycle while balancing on my weak left leg had become … precarious.

So I’m settling for an “old man’s bike,” according to my friends’ jokes. No shifting, no clutch, which is exactly what I need. But judging by my short test ride, it’s got an amazingly strong motor with surprising pep for a “scooter.” And it’s my favorite color…dark blue with silver accents.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 3:54 pm

On the trailer, on my way home:
Attachments
New to SWings, new to maxi scooters AttachmentA0F6C5DA-E8B1-4870-81B3-6A93DFE25FE5.jpeg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(135 Kb) Downloaded 17 times
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 5:16 pm

Welcome aboard the board BrianInVA and congrats on your new ride! You've had some interesting machines over the years.  

The SWing is really an automatic motorcycle so if you're used to wrenching, you'll feel at home with the SWing.  The tupperware will be the biggest difference but I imagine the PC was no picnic.  Just take your time with it so you don't snap off all of the retaining tabs.

I recommend you invest in a Factory Service Manual (FSM). Best investment you'll make.  Sometimes they come up on tis site for sale so keep an eye out.

Where to start, ALL fluids are the common go-to recommendations unless you know they are reasonably fresh.  You already have your first maintenance issue ... the fork seals.  Use the "search" function on this site and lots of threads regarding the seals should pop for you.

Regarding tires, check the date stamp and if they are original, most here will recommend you swap out the tires.  If your rear tire is original, it's probably within a couple thousand miles of needing changing out anyway.  Fronts usually outlast the rears on these machines by almost a 2:1 ratio.  

Having said that, my tires are dated 2009 and I'm almost finished running them out.  I come from a cold climate, know the scoot sat used and stored inside for years and, I'm a bit of a tire geek.  I inspected mine thoroughly for any signs of wear, deterioration, dry rot, damage, spider webbing etc.  I was satisfied they were OK ... and they have been for about 6,000 miles.  I also have a higher risk tolerance than some.  

Others will chime in as they see fit.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Hello BrianInVA ,

First, welcome on the site! You will find here lots of information and also friends ready to help...
Personaly had alot of motorcycles in the past and now riding scooter for over 4 years. Just sold my BMW R100GSPD last month and a guy from New Mexico will come over to take it in a couple weeks... A month ago I went to see a Honda Shadow 750 and when I went to see it with the intention of buying, it was snowing so couldn't make a test ride. In my head I said after all the mileage I've done (8hrs trip) to go there let's bring it home... last weeks took a little ride at my place and no way for me to keep that bike. The ride is like riding a tank... Since I ride scooters, just can't find anything who can replace the feeling of it. No more clutch, always ready to go and fast anought for highways. Planning this summer, Granby, Qc. to Newfoundland and next year again from home Granby, Qc going to see my niece in Golden, BC. and on my way back Anaconda, Montana to see my other niece and all that with my 2009 Swing...

You surely will enjoy your new to you Swing and wish you safe rides !
Michel
You're welcome home anytime.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 9:57 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
This might help regarding a FSM. 

https://www.silverwing600.com/t12609-repair-manual#128763
Awesome, thanks! I just downloaded it to my iPhone and loaded it into my Kindle app for future reference.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 2:32 am

Welcome aboard Brian.
As you're already familiar with automatics you'll miss the joys of grabbing the back brake at inappropriate moments thinking it's a clutch, and back on a geared bike and grabbing the clutch expecting to slow down.

But you'll love it, the SW is an incredible bike, those of us running multiple bikes often find the SW is used the most.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 7:34 am

Brian, welcome aboard, there is loads of good info on here for you! Congrats on your Silver Wing. I have ridden motorcycles on and off since 1969 and my 2012 is my FIRST scooter and probably my favorite 2 wheeler of all of them. Smile

Be sure and check out the pictorials in the maintenance section. Nothing like pictures to help you do maintenance on your scoot, its what sets this forum apart!!!
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Quick question - my 2006 SWing most likely still has the original belt. I’m sure it’s not worn out, given it’s 7,000 original miles. But should I worry about a 16 year old oem belt?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 3:23 pm

Personally, I would inspect it and if it is still within serviceable spec and looks good (i.e. no cracks, chips or severe wear), I would continue running it and not worry about it.  BTW - finding black dust in the housing is normal ... just clean everything before reassembling.

I ran my first drive belt to well over 35,000 km. (22,000 mi.) with no issues.  And yes, it was a little under width spec by the time I swapped it out.   

Some will advise changing it out now due to age and keeping this one as a backup/spare especially when taking longer trips "just in case".  Sound advice.  

We all have different risk tolerances.  To each their own.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 4:19 pm

Ok, thanks.

I just checked the date codes on the tires. They’re the Bridgestone Hoops and date code on both is 05. So I’m assuming they’re the oem tires too.

Looks like new tires are the next purchase. (I already ordered a new seat strut because the current one won’t hold the seat up, as well as the kit to covert the butt rest to a back rest.)

Last edited by BrianInVA on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 4:47 pm

Brian, just for info, I feel new tires is a smart idea! I bought a 2015 Forza in 2020 it had 13K on the speedo and the tires looked like new! So I figured they were new. However, after it survived the winter the tires were badly checked and cracked. Very strange, they were Dunlop Scootsmart tires and the date code said 2014 so they were OEM. Glad I replaced them prior to putting some serious miles on it.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2022 7:08 pm

I just ordered two tires, IRC brand, which I read were oem on later year SWings?

The seller bought this SWing from a neighbor, who had it stored in his garage for four or five years without riding it.

Seller did not drain the gas tank, he just added more gas to the tank of old gas, put in a new battery, and he says it started right up.

He rode it enough to use up that tank completely and start on a second tank of fresh gas.

Any need for SeaFoam or any other fuel treatment?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 8:09 am

BrianInVA wrote:
I just ordered two tires, IRC brand, which I read were oem on later year SWings?

The seller bought this SWing from a neighbor, who had it stored in his garage for four or five years without riding it.

Seller did not drain the gas tank, he just added more gas to the tank of old gas, put in a new battery, and he says it started right up.

He rode it enough to use up that tank completely and start on a second tank of fresh gas.

Any need for SeaFoam or any other fuel treatment?

Personally my Silver Wing has always had IRC tires. I am very happy with their life span and price. As to Sea Foam; I would run some through if it were me. Certainly won't hurt. Maybe for the first two tanks? Good luck!
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 10:34 am

GHM-PM wrote:

Personally my Silver Wing has always had IRC tires. I am very happy with their life span and price. As to Sea Foam; I would run some through if it were me. Certainly won't hurt. Maybe for the first two tanks?  Good luck!
Ok, thanks. This is really good to know, a relief, as I hadn’t seen any feedback yet on the IRC tires. I knew they were oem on some SWings so given Honda’s diligence they couldn’t be too bad.

I’ll pick up some SeaFoam this week. Any idea how much?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am

One can of Sea Foam will be plenty.  I'd do a hot SOAK first (see Seafoam's video website as to how ... follow the diesel truck fuel injection method) and then use the rest of the can, split equally, over your next two fill ups.  You can't hurt anything by using "too much".   

Technically, Seafoam works best with carburetors but it does seem to help fuel injection (FI) systems too.  I use it on my older 7.3 FI diesel truck and both FI scooters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to SWings, new to maxi scooters   New to SWings, new to maxi scooters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to SWings, new to maxi scooters
Page 1 of 1