Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?

Go down 
+5
Delray
HankMarlow
Meldrew
MHIL
GHM-PM
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MHIL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-08-01

2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? Empty
PostSubject: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 am

Hi, new here. Stationed in Germany for the past 11+ years. Wife and I have enjoyed the Suzuki Burgman and more recently BMW 650GT maxiscooters for 8+ years. Just sold my BMW 650GT. Retiring, just retired, and will be returning to Kansas City next month after visiting kids. Interested in the Silver Wing but generally see very few maxi-scooters selling at home. In Germany and most of Europe, we've done a bit of touring, they are everywhere. Curious if they are a niche within a niche and whether I'll be able to find a good late model or should buy new.  Are any maxi scooters selling in the thousands?  Someone a BMW told us a couple years ago that more BMW maxiscooters sell in Germany alone than all maxi scooters in the USA. Is this true? Could someone tell me how many Silver Wings sold in 2019 in the USA?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 6:18 am

Hello mate, you're a bit late to the party, Honda discontinued sales of the Silver Wing worldwide back in 2016. That included the original 2001 onwards FJS and FSC versions that almost everyone on here has, and the updated 2009 onwards SW-T Silver Wing which wasn't imported to North America.

Back to top Go down
MHIL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: that explains why we could only find 2015/16   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 7:18 am

So that explains why we could only find 2015/16. Tried my son's Integra NC750 yesterday. Still wondering what's actually selling in the USA. Dealer at home (Kansas City) says he's not sold a 500cc or greater scooter all year.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 am

BMW still sells maxi-scooters in the US. Look for a Kymco dealer they are a Taiwan company and they make a lot of decent maxi-scooters also. The Burgman is still around and the Yamaha XMAX but beyond that not sure. Honda still makes the Forza but it is (for now) a 300cc bike. There is a new Forza 350 being released but no idea if it will come to the US. Other than that a clean used scooter will be an option. It is possible to find a New old stock Silver Wing somewhere but it may take some doing as 2013 was the last year here in the US.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
MHIL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 8:31 am

You there's no maxi scooter market currently in the US? Burgmans, BMWs, Honda X-Adv? Why?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

MHIL wrote:
You there's no maxi scooter market currently in the US? Burgmans, BMWs, Honda X-Adv?  Why?

As you're currently in Israel, there'll be plenty of maxi scooters about especially 250cc and 300cc SYM's, go much bigger and import taxes are prohibitive.

I've been to the US a few times and hardly spotted any maxi scooters, it's a different mindset over in Europe where they're two wheeled transport, not something you bring out during 'the riding season'.

There's the long established BurgmanUSA forum for Burgman enthusiasts, although the 650 Burgman was discontinued soon after the Silver Wing. The BMW scooters have been a sales flop, the early 600 and 650 models were overly expensive and had reliability issues, the current models are much improved but they still don't sell in great numbers.

I went to a BMW Motorrad Demo Weekend a couple of years ago and I was disappointed by the C650GT, seat height, rubbish electric screen and indicator/turn signal lights that were barely visible. I was glad to hand it back to them and get on my Silver Wing again. Then there's the rather silly 'Flexicase' that's on the C600 Sport and both the 400 models. It's like a drop down scrotum to store a helmet in when you're parked up. You have to retract it back up for riding, so it's absolutely useless for a touring rider.

The X-ADV, I wouldn’t class that as a serious maxi scooter at all, it's more a pretend adventure bike. It's chain driven, has next to no useful storage, and none of the weather protection offered by a maxi scooter.

Right, enough of this frivolity, I'm off to bake some loaves of bread for my mother-in-law. 😷
Back to top Go down
HankMarlow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 2:28 pm

MHIL, I believe that with a little patience and a willingness to travel a bit, you will be able to find a used, clean, fairly low mileage Silverwing at a very reasonable price. http://www.scooterfinds.com/honda-silver-wings-for-sale-in-midwest
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 2:33 pm

HankMarlow wrote:
MHIL, I believe that with a little patience and a willingness to travel a bit, you will be able to find a used, clean, fairly low mileage Silverwing at a very reasonable price. http://www.scooterfinds.com/honda-silver-wings-for-sale-in-midwest

I agree. Most Silver Wings (used) have very few miles on them. Outside of John Grinsel most of us do not tour with them that much.  Keep looking for a good clean used one. 2008 and up get better fuel economy and if possible snag one with ABS.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Facebook Marketplace is a great place to find bikes. I'll leave the link below but not sure if it will work since FB is a private site.

Ad is for a 2012 Honda Silver Wing in Overland Park. There are 13 pictures and the bike looks showroom new. It has 7,400 miles and a GIVI adjustable Airflow windscreen (couple hundred bucks new) plus a 45-liter topcase. Seller wants $4,500.

If you're a Facebook member, search in Kansas City for motorcycles > honda silverwing. Seller's name is Yiannis Klathis.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1646197835543973/
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Larger scooter sales in US are weak seems most are in 300CC class these days. Burgman is still for sale new and maybe Kymko makes a 500CC something. I was looking at a Burgman 650 but those radial tires are mighty expensive $150 for a rear $130 front WOW. Some switch to Bias tires but why? price I guess.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 pm

I replaced the OEM tire on my Burgman 650 with a Shinko SR568. Cost was $66 (uninstalled) and the front, SR567, cost even less. FANTASTIC tire for the bike. I felt glued to the road immediately. It’s also quieter than the OEM. One of the resident gurus at burgmanusa.com, LeDude, did a long analysis about the Shinko and raved about it.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm

Well that is a good price even for a SW tire. I looked at those tires and most said they are Okay. Thought about a 2011 Burgman 650 and even found one with 697 miles for $4k but I'm more interested in a NC 700 DTC at this time. Used bike sales are sky high right now and some prices are too.

Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 8:59 pm

"I'm more interested in a NC 700 DTC at this time."

Good choice. I kicked the tires pretty good on that model. But I knew I'd miss the kick back and cruise ride of a big scooter.

Yeah, it's a funny market out there. Fewer bikes for sale and higher than normal prices.

I went through eight big scooters in three years, four Silver Wings, two BMW C 650 GT's and two Burgman 650's. Same routine each time, find a good deal on a clean, low mileage bike, update all the maintenance, ride for a while and sell for a break even price or small profit. I couldn't do that now; there's no inventory.

Plus, my usual system was to hire a ride from Facebook to take me to the bike and ride it home (this was always in some part of Florida because there's so many choices here). Now, with the virus, there's no way I'd sit in an enclosed, air-conditioned car with a stranger for two or three hours.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 am

cycletrader.com All the US scooters you want. There are a fair amount of twin cylinder used scooters available. Finding a SW with 30K miles should be easy.
Back to top Go down
Holden251
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-08-17

PostSubject: Selling my S'wing    2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2023 1:44 am

I'm selling my S'wing. She's great and I love her but she's too much bike for my old body. I was wondering, with the price of everything these days, it seems as though no one values these great machines. I have been offered $2000 or a straight trade for a Chinese 150. Am I missing something or are these people just uneducated? My S'wing has a brand new OEM belt and Dr Pulley 28g sliders, variator, new tires brakes etc. I just don't get it. I understand it's an 05' but still. Someone splain it to me please.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2023 7:10 am

Holden251 wrote:
it seems as though no one values these great machines. I have been offered $2000 ... Am I missing something or are these people just uneducated?

I've seen Wings for sale for less than $2,000. Some were in terrible shape. I felt like they should be in mechanical PTSD therapy for abuse.

Your Dr. Pulley gear, new tires, etc. should add considerable value. Body condition (tupperware) has a huge effect on the cost. Hard to gauge when you don't provide a photo or two. If your bike is beat up, $2,000 sounds reasonable. If the body is in pristine shape, $2,000 is an insult (I've bought and sold six Silver Wings, for frame of reference).

Location affects price. In a remote, rural location, you won't have as many prospective buyers and prices may be lower. In dense, urban markets you have lots of prospective buyers but also lot of bikes for sale, so prices can range from low to ridiculous.

In South Florida right now, on Facebook Marketplace, I see three 2005's for sale. All look good. #1 is $2,999 with 17k miles and has a top case. #2 is $3,499 with 17k miles. #3 is $5,000 with 23k miles -- this one has been listed for a year; clearly a seller waiting for an idiot who will pay a ridiculous price.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2023 7:25 am

I certainly would not trade for a Chinese 150 (plus, what brand is it)? Parts may not be as available vs something like a Honda. These days if it’s in decent shape probably $3-3.5 K is the probable sweet spot in terms of price. Mileage, year, body condition, and other factors will affect the price. Mine was $3250 with only 4800 miles on it (an 03) but I did have to do some body panel replacement, so I likely spent another $500 or so in parts to get to its current very good condition (couple of touched up paint defects remain in back from no speed drops in the garage by the prior owner).
I guess you could try to sell here on this forum, as some are actively looking to buy one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?   2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2019 Silver Wing sales numbers, Maxi Scooters sales in USA?
Page 1 of 1