Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

windshields--maxi scooters

Go down 
+8
Cookie
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
MagpieMan
bikehiker
john grinsel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

windshields--maxi scooters Empty
PostSubject: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Having just purchased my 10th new maxiscooters since 1990, ridden them over 400,000 miles.

First all required some sort of after market shield to be anywhere near comfortable, problem being buffeting and in most cases lack of all weather protection...AND with modern maxi-scooters your nose is too far from tip of shield.

Some facts:

1. The Givi adjustable shield has proven to be the best solution for SilverWing.

2. Looking over is safer in all weathers, period. Nice to see what you might hit.

My advice to those new to SilverWings---get the Givi adjustable while they are still being made for SilverWing.

As the SilverWing ages more, many who wish to continue riding scooters, other makes/brands will have to be considered.

My recent experience on purchase of my 10th maxi-scooter...stock shield only had good/calm protection at 55-60mph----not good enough on scooter that I plan to use for everything, bike is 2019 Kymco XTown 300i abs---I purchased Puig Touring screen for it. Install very easy, some diddle time required. Kymco mounting system Great, no removing of moulding/well nuts that fall into interior plastic!

At first I though it was maybe 3-4 inches too high and I would have to cut some....but using it now I find height ok, just really requires sitting up (correctly). Have to see how it works in really bad rain/snow/fog, etc... secret here ride it at least 1-2000 miles before the saw comes out. Protection/lack of buffeting/lack of noise=really great.

I had Puig screen on my Daelim is Korea, my 2017 Honda CB300F, I made completly buffet free system out of 2 Puig screens, a short spoiler, topped by Touring II screen...allowed safe/buffet free ride in all weathers---very good for 3/4 open face helmet/safety glasses riding----face skin did not even redden on ride to James Bay road in horrible weather. I guess Puig has done their homework in air flow---they have figures/graphs on their testing somewhere on line.

Just some thoughts from everyday rider, who will be 80 on next birthday and doing this since 1955..... and no plans to stop.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2018 8:12 am

Good info.

Don't stop. All my sane friends think correctly that I am high on the idiot scale because I insist on riding two-wheelers at my septuagenarian age. My wife just reminded me that she might not be able to care for me when I get that head/leg/body injury. That worries me a lot. Now I kind of understand how hard others find it to stop smoking or get off drugs. Just can't get off that bike.

Rode through thick fog the other day on my bicycle, l.e.d. lights flashing but doing little to limit the danger. While riding, I confirmed to myself that I was insane. I almost ran into a guy crossing the road to his mailbox. He was dressed in black.

But I did observe that at least one-third of the cars that I saw had NO lights on, and a good percentage of those were painted fog-gray or black. Insanity is rampant.

Ride safely and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
MagpieMan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-12-13

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2018 9:26 am

For those who don’t want to buy another windshield and replace the original Honda one, I recommend using a deflector. I am 6 feet tall, and SW windshield is too low for me. It is sufficient to 70 km/h, not more. I have installed the deflector on my SW, and it makes a real difference. The rule of thumb is however, to have the top edge of the deflector on the level of your nose. Most deflectors have height regulations, so you can fix it on the required level. The solution is cheap and it works, at least for me. What I hate on a motorbike is a constant painful wind noise which can be even dangerous for ears, especially on long tours. I use earplugs but I don’t like it. Please ignore the background on the enclosed pictures, but they were taken in my garage, we have a winter here.
windshields--maxi scooters Deflec10
windshields--maxi scooters Deflec11
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Now Mr Magpie ya can't just tease us with a couple of photos...

While the photos are clear I can't quite distinguish what I'm seeing. It appears to be somewhat of a combination of a Laminar Lip and Mr Grinsel's much-touted Puig windscreen extender. Is that attachment mechanism something that you made yourself or is the whole setup a commercially available product? And if it is a DIY windscreen extender definately tell us how you did it.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 pm

70 km/h that's 43 miles an hour. Sorry not for me.That's only first gear for me !!! . Stock shield has it's issues. Givi Adjustable.
Back to top Go down
MagpieMan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-12-13

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 6:34 am

Dear Cosmic_Jumper and all other deflector interested,
I wanted to promote more the very idea of deflector than the specific product. Not everybody is perhaps aware than those products exist and can successfully solve the problem of low windshields.
The deflector on my pictures is a commercially available product made by a Polish company. Please note that I am not associated with them. I have just bought their products and I am satisfied.
I do not know whether they selling their products abroad. You can ask them. They are on Facebook.
Try DeflektoryCom. As a new member I am not allowed to send you a link.
Attached please find their picture with two different holders they use - Simple and Flexi. My model is Simple. The Polish description says that the Simple deflector can be regulated 2 cm height and can be bend by 40 [angle in degrees]. The Flexi holder is more flexible – 8 cm and 180 degrees.
The installation takes 10 minutes, no drilling is required.
With my deflector I travelled 80 mph and the wind noise was definitely lower than with the sole Honda windshield. I bought it in September this year so I am not able to evaluate yet how durable they are. This can be assessed after one season at least.
windshields--maxi scooters Holder10
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2018 7:06 am

Looks like an interesting solution to the windshield problem. Unfortunately few people love the OEM windshield... It was too short for me so I had Cee Bailey make me a custom shield (4 or 5 inches higher than stock). Very happy with it after several years and 1/2 the price of a Givi adjustable. The downside is that Cee Bailey no longer makes windshields for 2 wheelers...

I wish Honda would have made an adjustable (powered) unit like the big Burgman has. Oh well. But the Goldwing didn't get one til 2018.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2018 4:14 pm

I've got an electric adjustable screen on my 2018 Forza 300, and it's pretty much like any other OE screen on every other maxi scooter I've owned, not that good. A higher screen is currently available from Ermax which would make a good replacement, although I'm waiting to see new higher screens Givi and Puig for it before making a a decision.

I already have a set of new clear plastic Puig hand guards for the Forza I bought from France, but I can't be bothered to fit them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Might add something on spoilers----having purchased MRA/Laminar Lip/cheap EBAY spoiler, made homemade one

!. they place strain on standard windshield

2. only work for me when bolted on! Lost Laminar Lip in St Paul rush hour traffic, held on by their 3M FASTENERS (Bike Honda Reflex)

Simple way in US, at least, bolt on old fashioned one piece 5 snap faceshield, cut to height you need/want.

BUT for SilverWing best windshield/protection/comfort is the Givi adjustable....worked well for me on over 90,000 SilverWing miles---I had tried others.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 am

I had no problems whatsoever with the Wunderlich spoiler I fitted to the top of my Givi Airflow. It was on there for over four years and was held on by a 3M adhesive pad and two threadlocked screws. Wind, weather, and sustained high speed cruising didn't strain either screen or spoiler.

It's now secured the same way on the electric adjustable screen of my Forza.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 am

I've had the Laminar Lip and hand shields on my Silverwing for 31,000 miles. I think they work really well. They are held on with the 3M pads that they come with and have never come loose.

I fitted them not long after getting the scooter as the standard screen was not very good and immediately noticed a big improvement. It's surprising the difference that relatively small pieces of Perspex (or whatever they are) can make.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 11:06 am

My 2007 has a plain Givi shield that was cut down way too short. I bought a Wunderlich copy from China. It is held on by four Allen screws. It is adjustable up and down and you can tilt it backwards or forward , enough to divert the airflow to or away from your face. Has worked fantastic for me: my buddies always ask if that "thing" works. Wasn't cheap for a Chinese copy but good value nonetheless.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 1:41 pm

I doubt if your wind spoiler is a Wunderlich copy, have you actually seen a Wunderlich wind deflector? AsnI explained in my previous post my genuine Wunderlich wind deflector is slotted onto the top of the screen and secured by a 3M adhesive pad on the outside, and two Allen screws on the inside. They push against a thin metal plate and a rubber gasket.

The body is CNC machined alloy and two more screws lock it into position for height and angle. I have the clear Universal spoiler which is held on by two more screws, and there's a variety of other shapes mainly to suit BMW GS's.

Still, as long as you're happy with what you've bought. Smile
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Mine is exactly as you describe: adjustable for height and angle, and the Allen screws tighten on to a thin metal plate backed by a piece of silicone that make contact with the top of the windshield. It probably still sells on Ebay. They don't call it a Wunderlich, just an adjustable air deflector. As for seeing one: I know how to google air deflector !!!

Jay.

I am not able to paste the link, but if you go to Ebay and search for clip on air deflector for motorcycle w/shield, you'll see the one I bought from China, but it's about half of the price I paid.
Back to top Go down
alfadave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Clearview Shields   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm

I tried a Givi on my Majesty, and found it was noisy.  I purchased a shield from Clearview Shields for my Wing.  As I remember the Givi, Clearview Shields are thicker. They are manufactured in Fort Collins, Colorado, by a family owned business.   They come in different height and width measurements, so you can custom order to fit your needs.  There is a recurve at the top of the screen, so I don't find buffeting to be a problem.  They will install a vent as well.  Over the years, 5 or 6 of the guys I ride with have purchased these, and all have been happy with them.
Many times they have blemished screens that are discounted.  Their quality standards are very high.  I've never noticed anything wrong with the "blems".
I'm not involved with them except as a very satisfied customer.  They make windshields for all kinds of bikes.
Here is their website.
https://www.clearviewshields.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.syntheticoilcompany.com
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 pm

I have a Clearview XL on my 08 SWing. It was on it when I bought it so I don't have anything to compare it to but I like it for my height. When I sit normally I can just see over the top and in the rain I duck down a bit so the rain doesn't hit me square on. It works pretty good and I don't have much of a problem with wind noise. If the wind starts to bother me I just turn off my hearing aids and no problem anymore... But then it's hard to hear my music so I have to turn that up more. Life is tough.
Back to top Go down
Freddie_I
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Freddie_I

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-09-30

PostSubject: MagpieMan, you're one smart guy, craftsman too!   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 pm

MagpieMan wrote:
For those who don’t want to buy another windshield and replace the original Honda one, I recommend using a deflector. I am 6 feet tall, and SW windshield is too low for me. It is sufficient to 70 km/h, not more. I have installed the deflector on my SW, and it makes a real difference.  The rule of thumb is however, to have the top edge of the deflector on the level of your nose. Most deflectors have height regulations, so you can fix it on the required level.  The solution is cheap and it works, at least for me. What I hate on a motorbike is a constant painful wind noise which can be even dangerous for ears, especially on long tours.  I use earplugs but I don’t like it. Please ignore the background on the enclosed pictures, but they were taken in my garage, we have a winter here.
windshields--maxi scooters Deflec10
windshields--maxi scooters Deflec11
That's very creative design and good solution for those not wanting to buy another windshield. Did you sketch the design in software, care to share the file in *.dxf format for the forum? Well done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: windshields--maxi scooters   windshields--maxi scooters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

windshields--maxi scooters
Page 1 of 1