Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Finally here? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finally here?

Go down 
+5
JesseT
john grinsel
Easyrider
oldwingguy
FutureSWinger?
9 posters
AuthorMessage
FutureSWinger?
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-11-01

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 11:29 am

Looking at '09 non-ABS S'Wing with literally 14964 miles.

Reading all I have about changing the drive belt when recommended, would anyone have a problem with a 300 mile return ride home after purchase? Why or why not? I look forward to your replies. Good day.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Not me, check tires, check fluids fuel up add a can of Sea Foam and ride it home. 16 k is the recommended belt change interval unless the V light comes on.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Inspect the bike's lights, brakes, oil levels including the rear differential. Check the tire pressure (29 front; 33 rear). Check tires for signs of cracking sidewalls. Get any maintenance documentation you can from the seller. Bring the appropriate riding gear with you. Lastly check the weather forecast on the day you plan to ride it home. Enjoy your new ride and ride cautiously and bring that baby to it's new home!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Take rain gear, rubber overboots and of course foam ear plugs. bike should run.
Back to top Go down
JesseT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-05-18

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I'll echo the checks everyone else mentions. I rode my first Silverwing home last weekend-- only about 140 miles though. It had 15,824 miles ... so simar situation. It was a great ride 😉 Enjoy the ride home with your new Swing 👍
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 9:09 pm

I've purchased four Silver Wings in various corners of Florida and ridden them home across distances ranging from 60 to 300 miles.

One of my Wings was a 2003 with 12k miles. I bought it in the middle of summer on the Gulf coast of Florida (I live on the Atlantic coast) and had a 187 mile ride home. The shortest route was through the Everglades. I normally wouldn't take that route; it's very isolated. But I figured, what the heck, live a little, right?

The weather was fine as I started out, but I got waylayed for three hours by a professional Florida thunderstorm, the kind where you expect Noah's ark to float by any minute. Stand outside (or ride) for thirty seconds and you are as wet as if you jumped into a swimming pool with your clothes on. Pools of standing water can shut down a car in seconds.

After waiting it out, I ended up riding through the Glades in the dark of night. I was so tired I had tunnel vision (your headlights start to look like you're riding into a tunnel that keeps getting smaller). I had to yell at myself to stay awake. There was no place to stop, no shoulders on the road, no traffic in either direction, no cell signal. If I broke down, I could probably have taken my pick of what creature might come along in the dark -- Panther? Black bear? Alligator? And in recent years, boa constrictor?

The Silver Wing ran like a Swiss watch. The only checks I made before my ride were oil level, tire pressure, headlights and brake lights. I thanked the Japanese engineers who created the Silver Wing many times that night. If your bike is a typical Wing, odds are very high you're going to be just fine on your ride home.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 8:40 am

oldwingguy wrote:
Not me, check tires, check fluids fuel up add a can of Sea Foam and ride it home. 16 k is the recommended belt change interval unless the V light comes on.

^^ +2 ^^ plus the tire pressures and check lights/brakes for functionality before taking off. You should be good to go as these bikes are pretty bullet proof unless something is broken or dramatically wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 7:23 pm

When I bought mine it was nasty and had had oil changes and plugs done over the years plus a belt 8000 miles prior. It also had the added attraction of falling over. It only ever really needed standard maintenance and fork service. The tires were newer Pirellis so I didn't worry about the 30 miles home. Handled like crap but it would have done 300. It had 27000 miles on it when I bought it. I would go cross country on it now and it looks great with a body refurb over winter.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 2:17 pm

I'd risk it. Those belts will go beyond 16,000 miles (depending on the treatment they've had).

Make sure all the above is checked though.

300 miles?....yeah!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Finally here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally here?   Finally here? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally here?
Page 1 of 1