Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Finally....... I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finally.......

Go down 
+4
EvilTwin
Mech 1 twa
exavid
Winger61
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 4:43 pm

....it had to happen. Sold the Wing Crying or Very sad . Not quite old age beat me. More a case of age-old injuries catching up with me.
I broke my left collarbone 30 years ago when I crashed in a cycle race, thought it was OK. No problems all the time I was working, even moving patients in the local hospital. Unfortunately, because the break was close to the shoulder socket (rotator cuff to the medically minded!) it is now causing a lot of discomfort trying to do anything too physically heavy duty -  moving the Wing was just about impossible! So, after much soul-searching, it's had to go.
I did think about a smaller scooter, but decided to hang up my helmet. I've had lots of enjoyable years on two wheels, and really enjoy and appreciate the forum, so if it's OK, I'll lurk in the background, and throw in my 2cents worth every now and then.
Stay safe everybody.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 pm

I fear I'm not too far behind you Winger 61. Damaged a shoulder in a simple fall just walking, a short while back. Doc suggested a shoulder joint replacement. I had one knee joint replaced and it took nearly a year to fully heal so I'm not too eager for those kind of repairs now. Damnable diabetes makes healing such surgery slow. Aging joints and arthritis drove me off my last Goldwing to the Silverwing, it's beginning to look like the end of riding days isn't all that far off now.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm quite a few years younger than you guys but having shoulder pain as well. Crashed a dirt bike 25 years ago total dislocation and its come out a few more times fell skiing . Can't throw a ball over hand no strength in that arm if it's above shoulder level. I know cuff is torn.

I'm not looking forward to getting older but that's life.

No regrets then that's the best you can do. Just think of all the good times you would have missed if never rode on two wheels. RIDE ON!!!!
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Winger61 wrote:
....it had to happen. Sold the Wing Crying or Very sad . Not quite old age beat me. More a case of age-old injuries catching up with me.
I broke my left collarbone 30 years ago when I crashed in a cycle race, thought it was OK. No problems all the time I was working, even moving patients in the local hospital. Unfortunately, because the break was close to the shoulder socket (rotator cuff to the medically minded!) it is now causing a lot of discomfort trying to do anything too physically heavy duty -  moving the Wing was just about impossible! So, after much soul-searching, it's had to go.
I did think about a smaller scooter, but decided to hang up my helmet. I've had lots of enjoyable years on two wheels, and really enjoy and appreciate the forum, so if it's OK, I'll lurk in the background, and throw in my 2cents worth every now and then.
Stay safe everybody.

Howdy. About a year ago I had my right shoulder replaced. I had been having issues with it going on for ten years or more and had a previous surgery on it that didnt do much good.

I went in thinking I would have what they call an anatomical joint replacement but woke up in recovery to hear that they had done a reverse. I knew it was a possibility at the time, but was still kinda shocked that it actually happened. The reason they do reverse joints is because your rotator cuff is too badly damaged to support the movement of a traditional shoulder.

Fast forward a year later and I'm doing fine. Riding my Swing along with a BMW and a Spyder. I'm not sure what the state of shoulder replacements is in the UK, but if you havent thought of it, it might be worth asking.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 9:09 pm

Reverse . Had to look it up. Puts the ball on the shoulder not the arm. Makes sense replacing a worn arthritic joint with a new socket. WOW Muscles and ligaments are really what hold it together.

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 4:12 am

Winger61 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that mate, I've noticed for a long time that you've logged on almost daily yet haven't posted much and the same on the Muppets forum.

I think it's inevitable as you get into your bus pass years that you don't have the same enthusiasm as you had when you were younger for any number of reasons.

I've just bought a new  textile suit from Sportsbikeshop down your manor, and I keep thinking how many years I'll get out of it before I hang up my helmet, or the Grim Reaper calls. Neutral
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm

My wife had a 'reverse' shoulder replacement. It went well with her and she's back to normal use of the arm after a couple months of healing and physical training. I'm rethinking the possibility of it for myself as well.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 3:39 pm

What is it with shoulders and bike accidents I wonder?!!!

I had a rotator cuff repair a few years ago, 20 years after the accident itself. (OK I was scared of general anaesthetic), my shoulder bugs me when riding for any length of time.

I also have Dystonia. A neurological condition which pulls my head to the right constantly. It's manageable. When I'm riding it hardly bothers me at all and I can move my head around without thought of the Dystonia. The concentration of riding gets my brain into over ride. Trouble is, the condition is known to get worse with age.

Winger61....hope you find the time to stay with the forum. I'm expecting a new topic to appear from you called 'Darn it! I just bought a Vespa GTS 300'.  thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Meldrew,

For some reason the Muppets won't let me log on  to the forum. I've changed from Windows 7 to 10, but just keep getting messages saying I've exceeded my log in attempts.Sent an email (presumably to Funky) but heard nothing. I'll just keep looking as a guest for now.

Loosemarbles,

If I can, I'm definitely going to keep on the site, lurking in the background. I like a good lurk! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 pm

WOW! I guess I don't have much of anything to complain about.
I had Prostate cancer about 14 years ago and had it removed which took all the cancer with it and now I'm cancer free.
The only bone I've ever broken was a toe which they taped to the next toe for a few weeks until it was healed.
I hurt my back at work about 1978 and had a great Chiropractor do his work and I'm pretty much free of any damage. Some days I can help someone move from one house to another and it doesn't bother me. Some nights, or just when it wants, it will wake me up with pain and I have to walk it off or lay on a tightly rolled up bath towel. The Chiropractor told me to do that if it starts to bother me between appointments and it still works. I roll it up tight and lay my spine on it and relax for 10-15 minutes on the floor to stretch it out and I guess to line it all back up. It works.
Other than that I don't really have much to complain about except my lacking bank account. I Identify as a Millionaire but have a pauper's check book.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 7:50 am

Sorry to hear of injuries and age. Seem to go together for sure.

Treat yourself well and do keep posting or commenting. I don't too often but really enjoy reading on this site.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Finally....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally.......   Finally....... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally.......
Page 1 of 1