Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter

Go down 
+31
vmaximus
Gustafa
Cosmic_Jumper
Flyingpanman
willajabir
gremlin
The Bern
Meldrew
Bash On!
john grinsel
Hcastillo64
cory820
Magoo Silver
Day Trippin
yahooie
crahar
Atlanticfun
thomphoto
ultralight
DaveR
MaxB
exavid
jdeereanton
regors
MikeO
honda_silver
dspevack
Waspie
Opalsboy
joncallihan
DennisB
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

Well, I took the back of my scooter all apart and did a very comprehensive study on hard point, bolt-on locations for the installation of a trailer hitch for the scoot.

I did look at the welded hitch recivers that a few have installed and they were just not that easy for the average scooter jocky to install.

I made my own. I used stronger material with heavy welds and reinforced bolt holes.

The hitch installed very easily with 3 new bolts and a spacer and only took a half an hour to do. I would trust this hitch to do a good job pulling any light weight scooter trailer on the road today.

Now with that said...some pictures:

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Hitch111
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Hitch210
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Hitch_14
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Hitch_15
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Hitch_16
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Hitch_17

I hope you like it.

DennisB

Last edited by DennisB on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
regors
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
regors

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:59 am

Dennis, I used Torsion Axle's which gives you independent suspension,
I picked them up from a company in Texas they where the lightest rated one's that I could find, rather pricey but I made up for that by getting the Thule top box for less than half price. Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 7:14 am

Hi regors, Thanks for getting back with me. I've been looking at torsion axle's but never found a pair that would be light enough duty for this application. Texas is just South of my location and would be a nice drive and a great state to visit again.

Did you install a utility light in the inside lid of the Thule box?
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 9:58 am

DennisB wrote:
Hi regors, Thanks for getting back with me. I've been looking at torsion axle's but never found a pair that would be light enough duty for this application.

DennisB, how light are you looking for in a torsion axle?

here is a set rated at 500#. That is for the pair, not each.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200335740_200335740

They are more pricey than springs, but to each his own.
I put 230# each springs on my trailer and it rides very nicely. I don't think I would go lower myself.

I also went the hARBOR FREIGHT trailer route. I couldn't get all the goddies at a cheaper price individually. This is for a 20 cu ft trailer I made. I have towed it 20k miles and it needs tires soon.

I have narrowed the frame , changed springs, LED lights. painted top of carrier white for heat inside. (sears 20 cu ft) , put on hubcaps.
MaxB
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi MaxB,

On the Harbour Freight trailer, did you find it necessray to change the tires out to a higher rate of speed type? Where they the 8" or the 12" tires. If they where the 8" how did they do?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I want to get a trailer for my SW and you have said you found a place in Quebec that sells them. Who are they and how can I contact them? Do you know of any other company that sells hitches and also small trailers in Canada?.   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm

regors wrote:
I have the same hitch as Dennis B. came from a company in the province of Quebec. Have had no problems with it towing my home built trailer which weights 100lbs empty or 160lbs loaded with my camping gear. Not much different than a passanger, I have had it cruising over 130km (80mph) follows like a dream. Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Icon_lol
You can see pictures of it in my Album.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm

fwtright wrote:
regors wrote:
I have the same hitch as Dennis B. came from a company in the province of Quebec. Have had no problems with it towing my home built trailer which weights 100lbs empty or 160lbs loaded with my camping gear. Not much different than a passanger, I have had it cruising over 130km (80mph) follows like a dream. Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Icon_lol
You can see pictures of it in my Album.

DennisB can't you ship from the north pole Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Icon_clown.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Bill, Yes I can but I'm not there at this moment.
Back to top Go down
regors
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
regors

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:54 am

The axles I used were adjustable by adjusting the angle between the arm and the axle mount. Straight up rated for 500lbs, on maximum angle 325lbs.
Either way works great for me.
My tongue weight is 15lbs loaded.
Load your trailers carefully.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:37 am

I would like to take this moment to thank all of you for your sharing and your contributions of knowledge and experiance to this subject.

We all get a little smarter and wiser when good people like you'll help one another to get projects completed.

I know I will be referring to all this great information as time goes by.

Thanks again,
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 1:59 am

DennisB wrote:
Hi MaxB,

On the Harbour Freight trailer, did you find it necessary to change the tires out to a higher rate of speed type? Where they the 8" or the 12" tires. If they where the 8" how did they do?

No I used the original tires, Repacked the bearings (just have shipping grease in them) and I run 20-25 lbs. in the tires.I have the 8 in. tires. I also got some 230# each leaf springs to replace the originals. (about $12-15 ea.)
MaxB
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Dennis,
I looked at all the "pros & cons" your hitch looks good to me. If you have
very small trailer like the ones pictured, should be o. k. I like your last coments
about us as a people. I think the Lord gave us the ability to reason and to
think. Not just for a hat rack..............
Old Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Dennis B I'm new to the foreum and i was looking for info on hitches for the swing I'm building a trailer to sleep in hard sides about 250 lbs to pull with my swing, I want to do a 20 western states ride of about 6000 mi in 20 days as a retirement trip, my design is aerodynamic and i'm a retiring truck driver so i understand about braking, and weight, i know honda does not recommend it thats their problem. But for years I've seen 250 helixs pulling trailers on the interstate. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Oldtrucker,

First...Welcome to the forum. Best one on the internet, I like to think and that's because of all the great people we have as members.

I'm no trailer pulling expert but it sounds to me that weight (or the lack of) and balancing the load to get it off the hitch is the key. 15 lbs. no more.

If you get the time, post some pictures of your rig. I'm sure alot of people would like to see it.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:27 pm

oldtrucker wrote:
I'm new to the foreum and i was looking for info on hitches for the swing

What type of specific information are you looking for on the hitches - for example :

- attachment
- receiver types
- specifications?

oldtrucker wrote:
I'm building a trailer to sleep in
hard sides about 250 lbs to pull with my swing, I want to do a 20
western states ride of about 6000 mi in 20 days as a retirement trip,
my design is aerodynamic and i'm a retiring truck driver so i
understand about braking, and weight, i know honda does not recommend
it thats their problem. But for years I've seen 250 helixs pulling
trailers on the interstate. any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

I would expect the specifics of the trailer can/will have an effect on the SWing handling.

If you have a wide tire base and you are traveling through a curve, I would expect the ball receiver would be forgiving to a certain point allow the trailer to remain flat but the SWing leaning ... but what happens after that point? Is the SWing prevented from leaning further?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm

DaveR

Check this link. Exploring its links might give you some insight into camping trailers behind a bike.

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=444
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Oldtrucker,

If you need a hitch, let me know and I will build one for you. $190.00 and I pay for the shipping.

Besure to check out the Perfect Connector adapter for your trailer lights.

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/the-perfect-connector-for-led-lights-hook-up-t992.htm
Back to top Go down
ultralight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ultralight

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 pm

DennisB wrote:

If you need a hitch, let me know and I will build one for you. $190.00 and I pay for the shipping.

You'll be getting a PM/e-mail from me in a month, or so, Dennis. I'm saving up for this one (just like I did for the ArmRests).

Thanks again,
Ultralight
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello Dennis I wouuld like to purchase one of the trailer hitches and light connector. How do we transact this transaction.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Chief Rider,

Thank's for your interest. I just sent you a PM on theordering details.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:18 am

I'd kinda like to have one of these hitches on my swing just as a "rear bumper". Chromed and with no ball, I think it would look cool and be functional as well.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Thom,

The hitch would work well as a bumper. I just wish I could chome plate stuff, that would look nice.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 pm

Any updates on the hitch?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Mike, Do you want one for your scooter? If Yes. I would need to look at shipping charges to your home.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:57 pm

It'd be nice, Dennis.
I was interested to know how it was 'wearing'.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Fit's like a glove.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:57 pm

One major factor in preventing trailer sway or 'wagging' is to have 9-15% of the total trailer weight on the hitch. I've had the interesting experience of towing a boat on a trailer we had just purchased that had too little weight on the tongue. The thing would begin a nasty sway that waggled the rear end of my 3/4 pickup quite a bit. I was able to temporarily correct the sway by putting the spare tire from the truck, the trailer's spare and the outboard motor in the forepeak of the boat which brought up the tongue weight considerably. After that it towed well even in gusty wind conditions. When I got the rig home I moved the wheels on the boat trailer 18" rearward which permanently cured the sway. One other thing I'd watch with a hitch that's attached to the axle would be wear on the ball and socket due to the vibration that will be transmitted to the hitch. It's important to check the snugness of the trailer socket on the ball anyway.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/tongue-weight.htm

One other minor point about owner's manuals recommending no trailer towing. All Goldwing owner's manuals say not to tow trailers. They don't give a maximum weight of a trailer to tow, which means it's not a safety problem since you could be solo and towing a trailer lighter than a passenger but it's much more likely lawyer talk and good old liability problems with US tort law.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 7:21 am

I've considered a trailer and I do see the versatility they offer, especially for the "scamping" (scooter camping) bunch. I've often considered buying one, but I find that even without the trailer I carry too much along while travelling.

Towing a trailer is not for the novice as many have noted. A SilverWing with a trailer does not handle the same as one without. It may be subtle, but the handling does change.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 12:30 pm

There are several considerations when pulling a trailer. There's no doubt that a SW can pull a trailer of fairly large dimensions and weight. Brakes would be the first thing to think about. The SW has very good brakes that were designed to handle a vehicle of around 800lbs gross weight with a rider and passenger. Add another 25% more to that weight and brake performance and life will be reduced and stopping distances, especially emergency stops will become longer. Not only longer but more difficult to keep on a straight line due to the thrust of the trailer. The life of the CVT belt will probably be shortened somewhat though that's not a handling problem. Many tow trailers with motorcycles and scooters it's just a matter of ALWAYS keeping in mind that handling will be poorer than without the trailer and one must allow for that at all times. It's pretty much what you feel comfortable with, I don't like to tow with my Goldwing but a large proportion of GW riders do and have no problems. A friend of mine rides two up on his pulling a 500lb camp trailer and he's done it for thousands of miles. It just takes concentration and attention to what you're doing.
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:38 am

I would be a "scamper", I have as of yet not required a trailer. I have this year, last weekend in fact, gone two up. My wife, me, a double wall bear creek 4 person tent, sleeping bags, air matress, pump, clothes for three days, lantern, spare shoes for both lol, and some other essential crap. I noticed I can go for two weeks easily by myself and bring back gifts. If I take the car I carry more crap I dont need, want or even bother to unpack.

I would say it could be usefull, for some, however, I also am a minimalist, at least when camping. If it doesnt all fit figure out what you are bringing that you dont NEED. lol

be safe
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm with Atlanticfun on the "need" for a trailer, at least for me personally. I know that Kim and I are most assuredly minimalist in our motorcycle travel habits. And as far as tools go - we don't carry so much as a tire patch kit. I know that many carry a plethora of tools and even tire inflators.

I just don't know where I'd pack the smelting furnace to cast my own cylinder heads - maybe that's where the trailer would help out.

Seriously I can see how some would desire a trailer, but I'm good without one. If I wanted one it would have to be a Uni-Go.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm not sure that the electrical system would put out enough to run an electrical furnace, and you would have too get too many permits for coal. Plus you'd need some Bridgeports, tooling,etc. Guess you better trade the Swing in on a big rig so you can pull a big enough trailer for your portable shop. Course you could just stop in at Best Western a lot cheaper.I love camping but due to needing oxygen machine and cpap at night for sleeping I don't go like I used to, gotta make sure someones there to kick-start me if I quit breathing. Just too much to lug along.
Craig
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Last month when I was home I took a trip to Enid Oklahoma and picked up my new trailer. When I arived home I hooked it up to the Swing and rode for around 150 miles empty and it pulled great. The next day I went to the feed store for my daughter and hauled 250 pounds of feed in the trailer with no problems . control and stoping were not an issue. The trailer weighs 200 pounds empty and is a pleasure to pull. 70 MPH with cruse control on and the swing handled it great. I am going to pull it to HAMS and will give a report on it when I get back. Dennis the hitch works great and has stayed tight and solid and with only 150 pounds in the trailer I can hardly tell it is there. Hopefully I can drum you up some business because I am sure there will be lots of questions.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 5:31 am

Please don't misunderstand, I think a trailer could (can) be a handy addition - just not my cup of tea. Some of the uses I've heard of and those we've seen here in this thread are quite creative.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:29 am

Exactly!
A good scootering-friend of mine (with several maxis) sold his car - well, scrapped it because he never used it - and had a hitch fitted to his X9.
He uses the trailer for taking rubbish to the tip and all the things he'd used the car for.
I think he now also has a hitch on his Fuoco, too.
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:15 pm

I meant no dis-respect, I was only making an opinion. lol.... I think for anyone who wants one go for it. I didnt ask anyones opinion about me having an s-wing so why care about mine?

I do think there is a reason or want for some of you. Please enjoy it, and put pic.s up. who knows maybe I could change my mind. lol
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Ya Know....The Honda Silverwing scooter sure is a fun and versatile machine.

Ain't it great!!! Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
Atlanticfun
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:07 pm

I actually am curious, I know my freind pulls a trailer with his aprilia. I helped make it. I do carbon fiber and fiber glass for "fun" once in a while. He made the frame from double wall aluminum, and I created the "box" it is actually tear drop. All together though, both of us can sit on it and he can sit in it as we copied an actual teardrop trailer only scaled down. It only weighs around 90 pounds. his can and has carried with his car 500 pounds.

The question? lol, WHAT in gods nme is tht one made of if it weighs that much? What is the MAX load?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:45 am

Post some pictures of this light weight trailer when you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyone have any idea if I will have an issue pulling 11 foot jon boat behind the wing? I dont have a trailer or hitch yet but it would make life easier and I could put the old minivan out to pasture. The boat itself is aluminum and weighs only 75lbs. The trailer which I dont have yet would either need to be built or found, but am I wishfully thinking or do you think its possible?
Back to top Go down
Day Trippin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I personally don't think the weight would be the issue if you found a lightweight trailer. I think the biggest issue would be what happens in a strong wind. There is a lot of side area to the boat and it could really have an effect on the bike/trailer combo so safety would be my biggest concern in this situation.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:11 pm

I was more concerned with the length and also the wind. It is pretty light like I said. I wouldn't be taking it down highways or anything but living down here in south florida I have lots of lakes within a few miles and the intracoastal about 8 miles. It would be nice to have a quick hookup and gone fishin. LOL
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 am

Take a look at the Harbor Freight trailers. The longer one ought to be fairly easy to adapt to a Jon boat. Reasonably low priced too. Just need a plywood deck. If you wanted you could easily cut it down a bit narrower to fit the boat too.
Back to top Go down
Magoo Silver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Magoo Silver

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow...New guy here, find it interesting the many things being done to the Silver Wings here. I purchased my Wing from a lady that got it new with the Voyager Trike kit and a trailer. She had sold the trailer as she never used it much and I guess it cost and arm and a leg. I still have the hitch on the Voyager but I have to say as a few others have said I pack the scooter under seat with tools, parts, cover, and extra shoes. Clothing and other items I strap down behind my back rest. Over my rear wheel fenders I have chrome racks and will bag and strap rain gear on one and a jacket on the other. The small trunk on the scoot I use for ice, drinks, snacks and things I do not want to get too hot.

This is how I would travel on my Honda Reflex and it worked great but I did not have the little racks over the back wheels.

I did see 2 black Silver Wings with trailers like tear drops last summer going to OK from FL. I stayed behind them for some time and noticed they stayed around 60mph it was hot around 102 and a very lite to nothing breeze. That is when I knew I had to have a Silver Wing. They were talking to each other and enjoying the ride. I talked to them at a rest area on the HWY and they were going Vegas for a week and than back to Florida. Was a retired couple late 60s just having a blast...

Magoo
Back to top Go down
cory820
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 am

dennisB are you still selling the hitches? i read in 2010 you offered it for 190
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 6:49 am

Hi Cory, Sorry. I stopped manufacturing Silverwing accessories a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Hcastillo64
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 9:44 am

Hi I have a 2003 SW with 37000 miles and still going. Do you think my wing could pull a small trailer.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 11:05 am

Maybe---drive line not designed for any additional loads!---Unigo would be best trailer---but where do you get hitch? I don't think hitch mounted on swing arm real good idea---hitch goes up and down on each bump----Unigo one wheel, which follows bike----I have about 75,000 miles pulling 2 wheel trailers behind bike (not SilverWing) big problem dropping trailer wheel off edge of pavement=real thrill.

Then with trailer there are braking distances, hard braking performance, too. Something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 pm

I'd worry about liability in case of a mishap.  Especially because the Honda Owner's manual (2010 MY edition used) says this:

Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your
scooter. This scooter was not designed
for these attachments, and their use can
seriously impair your scooter’s handling.

Disclaimer: I'm a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer.  This post does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Trailers have been legal to pull behind motorcycles for many years in the UK, in fact it's on my licence somewhere. I thought about getting one in my biking days and I'd have probably filled it with all sorts of camping junk, just because I had something to cart it all round in.

But really there's no point in having one,  because for far less than the outlay of a cargo trailer and towing hitch and all that extra camping junk. I can load the Silver Wing up normally and go stay on top class campsites all over Europe in ready erected and fully equipped frame tents, safari tents, with beds, heating, a fridge, kitchen etc, or in a mobile home, trailer, or caravan. In fact I've already done it a few times in France, Germany, and Luxembuorg with Mrs M.

I have seen trailer equipped touring riders at rallies and on campsites in the past, and all they seem to do is sit outside their larger than normal tents on big folding camp chairs seemingly hoping passers by will ask them about their trailers.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 2:05 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I don't think hitch mounted on swing arm real good idea---hitch goes up and down on each bump-

Agreed, towing hitch should always be attached to the chassis NOT an 'unsprung' component
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next