Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter

Go down 
+31
vmaximus
Gustafa
Cosmic_Jumper
Flyingpanman
willajabir
gremlin
The Bern
Meldrew
Bash On!
john grinsel
Hcastillo64
cory820
Magoo Silver
Day Trippin
yahooie
crahar
Atlanticfun
thomphoto
ultralight
DaveR
MaxB
exavid
jdeereanton
regors
MikeO
honda_silver
dspevack
Waspie
Opalsboy
joncallihan
DennisB
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

Well, I took the back of my scooter all apart and did a very comprehensive study on hard point, bolt-on locations for the installation of a trailer hitch for the scoot.

I did look at the welded hitch recivers that a few have installed and they were just not that easy for the average scooter jocky to install.

I made my own. I used stronger material with heavy welds and reinforced bolt holes.

The hitch installed very easily with 3 new bolts and a spacer and only took a half an hour to do. I would trust this hitch to do a good job pulling any light weight scooter trailer on the road today.

Now with that said...some pictures:

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Hitch111
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Hitch210
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Hitch_14
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Hitch_15
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Hitch_16
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 Hitch_17

I hope you like it.

DennisB

Last edited by DennisB on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 pm

Bash On! wrote:
I'd worry about liability in case of a mishap.  Especially because the Honda Owner's manual (2010 MY edition used) says this:

Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your
scooter. This scooter was not designed
for these attachments, and their use can
seriously impair your scooter’s handling.

Disclaimer: I'm a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer.  This post does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

I totally agree and cannot comprehend why on this forum everyone seems to ignore the manufacturers advice and specifications, when it comes to such an important issue and merrily discuss the various options of going against this advice. confused
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Hcastillo64 wrote:
Hi I have a 2003 SW with 37000 miles and still going. Do you think my wing could pull a small trailer.

I think so. 2004 Models. Toured the lower 48. The burgandy one towed a trailer for about 30k miles. The silver one was close to 50k.

Disclaimer: Owners manual does say not to do it. Of course the OM (page 5) also says not to add anything not designed by Honda, so top cases, grips, seats, after market windscreens, GPS, power outlets, etc are all to be avoided.

Bolt on hitches are usually covered by insurance (USA) and frame modded add on hitches like those made by Joe Wolfe should probably be mentioned to your insurance company. Mine was covered with no additional premiums. Got as low as 52 mpg in WV and as high as 62 mpg crossing the salt lake flats and Utah. Attempting to cover any additional thoughts/questions you might have. You can view more of my Swing photos HERE that show some closeups.
Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 LGsnjEP9aj7yUC_0_dGyCsMwqkOSogpYPJVgHaSG5TVxsdmbBAllBb-0njnTOOqmqXG4LAxU6OP0s2X7tgtUCprKjpkt2if2LRrwReY-mqTWEShFQA45gghog0RCtPFJbfPSyJVbJxf1pErY4fdrSOLbFpU4PKqErYUzJiUnioWs31Xq373Ag5ZeIk_T8pu4oC__qtvOPVDWqiYK7aptH-YFGiD8S8ac0IfRxx9E3lWM0HR0WuVLYeP4e7g30JyqpitfyjjEoOGgpVb0isSFKHRzLyTG6BveF9jhvlbLrf6ThujwIjZTo6IbTaftDJU5CtpNc7o_4rR-_tQPnusuhQz1mnwajCyPncC05EbYPYyd1ZoWMBmeYu_i9j1ojUKR_nVmUPmccLBd3AavvN161WF4LvBrpVZ4oKxQMd4KssHGghyIrvvlcqnfXUQ5M_GagkI6MtJ55gfioIBNEPTZo44ZQvnymJQFLRoBwQpC17Hzq6S0UUs3adhVLR2kxInUP_Q5TKjozstZBxJ7UfD2afQBafNByX3C4ku8CEgqiWPNCk1Bon43HkPBOh6fUnEW5yq6kzrzmGXGASF17Jo2ekN1CGlkHy3Tf_6qyj30cg=w648-h863-no

As a side note. My brother had a minor accident(not his fault) that removed his right trailer wheel about 4 hours after this photo. I turned his trailer upside down and mounted it on top of mine for a little over an hour to a shop to get him back on the road.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 am

I've considered a trailer for camping trips, but the only hitch I've seen so far is bolted to the rear axle/brake/swing arm and doesn't make sense to me. Attaching it there subjects the hitch attachment to all the road shocks normally absorbed by the suspension. A frame mounted hitch will not suffer in the same way.

Willajabir, is yours a commercially available kit? Is it welded and/or bolted to the frame? Any info appreciated.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:

Willajabir, is yours a commercially available kit?  Is it welded and/or bolted to the frame? Any info appreciated.

Paul.
Paul, I got in touch with a scooter rider/modder in Kingsport, Tn named Joe Wolfe. Got his name & contact from another inmate here. I just looked back and see you are from the UK.

I'll venture a guess that you could find a tinkerer somewhere near you that could do the same.
I've had 3 made for my scoots and they all were made with flat steel welded to the side frame in a triangular shape, then attached to square tubing that came down just short of the mud flap. Holes drilled in the tubing for hitch pin to hold a smaller size tube so I had a removable hitch. Pulled the trailer wiring through a hole made behind the tag so the wiring would hide behind the tag when not in use.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 6:10 am

willajabir wrote:
Flyingpanman wrote:

Willajabir, is yours a commercially available kit?  Is it welded and/or bolted to the frame? Any info appreciated.

Paul.
Paul, I got in touch with a scooter rider/modder in Kingsport, Tn named Joe Wolfe. Got his name & contact from another inmate here. I just looked back and see you are from the UK.

I'll venture a guess that you could find a tinkerer somewhere near you that could do the same.

Sadly it doesn't work like that in the UK/Europe Willajabir, towing hitches have to be 'type approved' when fitted to vehicles manufatcured after 1998, meaning the maker has to be registered & designs tested for various criteria.
However, there is one Silverwing in East Anglia that  tows a trailer & apparently has all the necessary documentation, IIRC he brought it from America, looked to be well made & well thought out  (given the limitations of a bolt on fitment), can't recall the makers name but it was deffo tubular steel & attached at the top suspension mounts & the exhaust bracket
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am

willajabir wrote:

I got in touch with a scooter rider/modder in Kingsport, Tn named Joe Wolfe. Got his name & contact from another inmate here. <>

Larry

Is Joe Wolf still in the game? I thought that he stopped fabricating "stuff" many years ago. At least for Silverwings. However you seem to have had him fabricate a hitch more recently.

If you have a link, please post it.

How about some detailed photos of your Joe Wolf hitch and its mounting configuration.

Tim
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
willajabir wrote:

I got in touch with a scooter rider/modder in Kingsport, Tn named Joe Wolfe. Got his name & contact from another inmate here. <>

Larry

Is Joe Wolf still in the game? I thought that he stopped fabricating "stuff" many years ago. At least for Silverwings. However you seem to have had him fabricate a hitch more recently.

How about some detailed photos of your Joe Wolf hitch and its mounting configuration.

Tim

Tim,
I don't know if he still makes things or not. I talked to him last month, but not about fabricating anything.
I'll ask him and reply here.
Nothing detailed as far as under the hood.
I have a close up of the hitch on my Burgman with the trailer connected and a distant one with the Swing.
HERE is my album from 2011 with the hitch on the Burgman.
HERE is my album of the 2004 Swing.
After restoring the last Swing, a family member unrestored it.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 7:25 pm

I think I've waited long enough for a response. I contacted him(Joe Wolfe) twice since my last post and got no reply.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 am

Denray in Canada.

https://www.denray.ca/produits/produits.php?cartId=20090901155133LaHXTd1ajnfENBX10367&categorie=attaches&#search
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm

The Bern, i have a trailer hitch fitted to my Silverwing made by myself similar in design to Dennis's hitch. My previous full insurance for a Majesty 125cc came stating that the scooter was allowed under the motorcycle insurance policy to tow a trailer. When I fitted the tow bar to the Silverwing I informed my insurance company that I intend to tow a legal camping type trailer and would I be covered under my insurance policy, they contacted the underwriters and replied that it would be ok to tow a trailer and that the bike rider and pillion would be covered fully comprehensive and the trailer would be insured 3rd party while it was coupled to the insured bike. Both insurers never asked me who, where and how the tow bar is fitted or for that fact whether it was type approved or not. When insurance renewal time (multi bike policy) comes around I always make a point of mentioning that I tow a trailer behind the S/wing and that I am still insured to do that as per previous years insurance and up till now I have had no problems. I was of the opinion that type approval was needed if more that one made that's why a one off custom type car/bike doesn't need type approval but please correct me if I am wrong. Pud.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 5:04 pm

[quote="willajabir"]
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
willajabir wrote:

Larry

Tim

Tim,
I don't know if he still makes things or not. I talked to him last month, but not about fabricating anything.
I'll ask him and reply here.
Nothing detailed as far as under the hood.
I have a close up of the hitch on my Burgman with the trailer connected and a distant one with the Swing.

Tim thanks for posting the trailer pictures. I think I will build one.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Trailer   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 am

This thread has tons of great information about the hitch and trailer but the one thing that is missing is the electrical aspect.Is there a clean and professional looking way to attach trailer wiring to the Silverwing?
Back to top Go down
joerider101
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2021-10-14

PostSubject: How do i purchase a trailer hitch   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 10:00 pm

I like the hitch ..how do i buy one or can someone send me a link for a hitch...would like a trailer too
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 12:28 am

joerider101 wrote:
I like the hitch ..how do i buy one or can someone send me a link for a hitch...would like a trailer too
I picked up a good quality Chinese (not Harbor Freight) motorcycle trailer on Facebook Marketplace for $300. It was already titled/registered but be careful, if they’re not it can be a real headache getting your state to register it.

Since I’m using it to build a micro camper to pull with my Silverwing, I didn’t need the big cargo box on top.Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 06360f10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter   Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3