Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SilverWing Experiences

Go down 
+9
MikeO
Stainless601
Jolly Bodger
Easyrider
CathyN
GHM-PM
gremlin
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
13 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

SilverWing Experiences Empty
PostSubject: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 4:14 pm

As I near 8 years of SilverWing ownership, have some things to pass on. First 2 new SilverWings, 2009 and 2013 left over, total miles 80,000 plus.

The SilverWing is very reliable, kept stock. Honda figures stuff out quite well.

Both my SilverWings have had Givi adjustable Airflow windshields. Tried other brands and they all lack the ability to adjust height. Other changes from stock out of the box--Givi rack and E-46 box, NEP cruise control (throttle stop),foam overgrips which last about30,000 miles.

Second bike has been to dealer once--oil leak in rear drive, warranty, as drive line was open had them change drive belt with 20,000 miles of use. First bike never went to dealer except to be traded.

No engine trouble with both, current has original spark plugs @about 40,000 miles--they should last to 50,000.

Reg Gas used, while in Chattanooga use pure gas available in my near. Trips reg but every 1,000 miles tank of super Shell to make me feel better. Never run out---on the road I tank every 100-150 miles. Gas mileage been as high as 60mpg, maybe 55mpg overall.

Oil ---WalMart house brand 10-40, changed every 2,000 miles or 60 days which ever comes first. Never added any between changes.

Tires-- Current matched set of OEM IRC, my experience with Bridgestone hoop is: rear does not wear round on edges. Next rear will be Michelin Power Pure SC, handles ok with IRC front, Power Pure will last up to 10,000 miles for me.

Air Cleaner---this bike, changed at near 40,000 miles with OEM. First bike never.

Drive belts=always OEM. At belt change always change rollers, again OEM.
Front Forks =leave alone, protect sliders with covers of some sort ans

Never Power car wash. Use engine cleaner on ALU parts, car wash soap on rest. Pledge on body, Protect All on Windshield.

Conclude: Don't monkey with, add no electronic junk.And these are pretty reliable and well preforming scooter. and RIDE! Current one as far as Alaska and Nova Scotia in East.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Like to add to original:

Batteries--in 27 year of maxi-scooters, have only replaced on battery....and that was my fault---I killed battery on my 2013 in Maine using electric tire pump I bought. With Jump Starts got back to TN and purchased new OEM battery. I do not use battery tender.

Brakes: I find SilverWing brakes fine---ABS a great safety feature, but would prefer non-linked for better control of rear, used as balancing aide. Pad life at least 50,000 miles or more. Corrosion on caliphers needs to be watched, each tire change I check and make corrections if necessary
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Nice recap, Mr Grinsel. Thank you
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 12:24 am

In hindsight the best thing I can say about the SW; I just never had to worry whether it would start or get me and all my gear there safely and in comfort and that is the ultimate compliment you can pay to a piece of machinery!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks, John for the insights! I agree with your thoughts. Honda made a great product (they usually do) so lots of changes not necessary. Just put gas in and GO. If you need to make wholesale changes to the scoot or need gobs more power...then you bought the wrong bike to start with no?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 8:24 am

Agree on performance changes. Works fine as is and lasts a long time----need big changes you got the wrong bike. As High miles motorcyclist, scooters offer reduced pace, great for trips with ability to carry stuff.

Next has anybody ever adjusted valves?

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am

john grinsel wrote:
Agree on performance changes.  Works fine as is and lasts a long time----need big changes you got the wrong bike.  As High miles motorcyclist, scooters offer reduced pace, great for trips with ability to carry stuff.

Next has anybody ever adjusted valves?

Mine has 20K on it and NO valve check yet.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 12:30 pm

93,000 mile on my 2003. No valve adjustment.

We're kinda getting off-topic here. I may have to split this if the valve adjustment replies get too long.

Tim
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 4:43 pm

My Swing has 67,000 miles on it.  No valve check.  At 50,000 miles I had the Swing in to the dealer. They said I was due for a valve check and my steering stem bearings were in need of replacement. I opted for the stearing stem bearings to be replaced.  Have not had a valve check.  The stearing is much smoother.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 8:28 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Thanks, John for the insights!  I agree with your thoughts.  Honda made a great product (they usually do) so lots of changes not necessary.  Just put gas in and GO.  If you need to make wholesale changes to the scoot or need gobs more power...then you bought the wrong bike to start with no?

Glen,
I have to disagree with you and John. Like you and John this is just my personnal opinion. I like the Swing as a starting foundation. Maxi scooter, great under seat storage, not the heaviest, and a Honda. Most of the mods I have done are for safety and personal convenience. Note the word "personal". 

Personally, I wish I had the opportunity to ride the open country like you and John have done. Maybe someday we will have a home in Idaho and I will be able to ride. Hopefully before I get too old. LOL ha John. I will be 66 this August.
I have listed my mods below in my signature.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 am

My comment----you add stuff, I call junk, just something more to go wrong when you do not want it----like in the middle of no where. Walking sucks.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 am

OK Easyrider, maybe I'm just ignorant/thick - but what is: "back-off XP" and "Scorpion 1900 with ignition kill"
JB
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Like to add to this subject:

"Ride On" works for me as balance medium. Used it for several years @ 15 a wheel. Tires stay balanced for their life.

Rear Shock----fine for me and they, on new machine last 50,000 miles or more. Set on 2 for normal use, 3 for heavy loads (passenger 120lbs) or touring load of stuff.
Back to top Go down
Stainless601
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Stainless601

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-07-12

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 am

John, great information on operation of the Silverwing. I would like to get some specific information on how to get the best fuel economy out of mine. I ride mostly in Florida / flat lands, and commute to work daily 50miles. Most miles, 75% are on the highway @ 65-75mph. I rarely get over 47 mpg. The scoot is a 2011 with 10,000 miles on it, well maintained and runs well. Must I cruise slower to attain greater than 50 mpg?
What is the best RPM to keep it at, it seems that 4500-5000 RPMs would be best but ide get run over at that speed?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Best mpg for me around the slight high side of 5,000 rpm. 6,000 and more mpg goes way down.

Givi Air flow windshield adjusted about 3/4 inch up on the sliders. Mark throttle with white paint and stay below 3/4 for long periods----don't "dog" it.

No extra junk out in the breeze, E-46 Givi box I have may create some drag. Push it hard and mpg goes down.a
Back to top Go down
Stainless601
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Stainless601

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-07-12

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks John, I've got the Givi air flow but 65mph is about the minimum speed before getting run over on I-4 going home from work at 11pm.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 1:48 pm

john grinsel wrote:
My comment----you add stuff, I call junk, just something more to go wrong when you do not want it----like in the middle of no where.  Walking sucks.

John,
That is a strange comment. You and I do have some of the same "JUNK" added to our tinker toy. You got GIVI windshield and top box, NEP throttle lock. "you add stuff, I call junk". You just don't get it. We all enjoy our Swing in our own way. One person's trash is another person's treasure as I see it. Non of my "junk" have ever caused me any problems. Knock on wood.

Oh yea, we added Ride-on junk to our stock Silverwing.

Last edited by Easyrider on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Jolly Bodger wrote:
OK Easyrider, maybe I'm just ignorant/thick - but what is: "back-off XP" and "Scorpion 1900 with ignition kill"
JB

Jolly,
Back-Off XP causes your brake light to flash a set number of times before going to a solid red when using your brakes.

Scorpion I900 is an alarm system for your bike that uses RFID to automatically turn your alarm on when your FOB is ten feet away from your bike and automatically turns off when within ten feet of your bike. It has two additional options that you can purchase. One is to chirp if someone loiters near your bike. The other option is to automatically kill the ignition circuit should someone hot wire the ignition without the Fob being within ten feet of the bike. I did get the ignition kill option, but not the proximity option. Just thought that someone may get upset when parking his/her bike next to mine. The ignition kill option would turn off the ignition and sound the alarm when I try to start the bike without having the FOB nearby. The system also has the normal vibration, and tilt alarm. It comes with it's own rechargable backup battery. You can even set a right/left turn signal pattern to silence the alarm should you not have the FOB or if the FOB's battery is drained.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Stainless601,
To answer your question. I find that I get the best mileage if I keep to 60-65 mph. I try to stay at around 60. I do have Dr Pulley 24g sliders. It drops my rpm by 500 at 60mph as oppose to the OEM rollers. My bike is a 2013 with the oxygen sensor and I have about 9000 miles.
Make sure you service the air cleaner. Many riders discovered badly clogged filters when inspecting.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I respect the right of every SW rider to modify to their hearts delight, but why would you put an additional alarm on one? I think the chances to get one stolen are next to nil, simply because nobody would want it. Look at the average age of the riders ( my guess: pretty close to 60 ) and compare that to the average age of a motorcycle thief. Most cruiser and sports bike riders would not go near one. You couldn't really ride a stolen one around or sell it and the black parts market does not exist.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Honda couldn't sell the SilverWings----so why would anybody want to steal one? I expect if stolen is not recovered---pay off would be little as the market price. No alarm for me.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 7:05 am

Thanks for that info Easy.
I like the "Back-Off XP" idea but I've never seen one in the UK - not sure if it would be legal here no doubt someone with more knowledge than me will tell us.
Not so sure about needing an extra alarm as the HISS system seems highly regarded.
JB
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 4:20 pm

No, it's not. The only flashing lights permitted on an 'ordinary' motor vehicle are indicators (and Hazard Flashers if the vehicle is stationary or parked at a hazard).

However, I was never pulled over in the UK when riding my (Belgian) Silverwing, fitted with an Admore Light Bar which flashed three times when the brakes were applied.

In fact, the one time I was stopped by a motorcycle policeman in London who was following me so must have seen the light flashing, he made no comment.

I have it in mind to fit one on my present Silverwing and take a chance.

Last edited by MikeO on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 11:35 pm

gremlin wrote:
I respect the right of every SW rider to modify to their hearts delight, but why would you put an additional alarm on one? I think the chances to get one stolen are next to nil, simply because nobody would want it. Look at the average age of the riders ( my guess: pretty close to 60 ) and compare that to the average age of a motorcycle thief. Most cruiser and sports bike riders would not go near one. You couldn't really ride a stolen one around or sell it and the black parts market does not exist.

Gremlin,
I have gotten a truck, car, lawn mower, freezer items, gas containers stolen from my property. The truck and car where taken for joy riding. Caught neighbor stealing food from my freezer at 2in the morning. Had to rig my house alarm to the freezer door. You ask why install an alarm on my Swing? For my piece of mind. Should someone take and damage my Swing, the insurance will probably total my bike. You never get the same money you put into it. There are no used ones here where I live. I purchased the last new one  in my state. This is my last bike ever. Maybe if I do invest in some property in the lower 48, I may get another Swing. And yes, will add an alarm and other "JUNK" to my tinker toy.LOL Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 am

Gremlin,
What were you meaning by asking "why would you put an additional alarm on one?" It never came with one.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 2:16 am

Jolly Bodger wrote:
Thanks for that info Easy.
I like the "Back-Off XP" idea but I've never seen one in the UK - not sure if it would be legal here no doubt someone with more knowledge than me will tell us.
Not so sure about needing an extra alarm as the HISS system seems highly regarded.
JB

Jolly,
Here on our side of the pond our Swings do not come with the HISS. I wish Honda had included some of the features put into the European Swings. Would not need some of the stuff on my bike.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 2:45 am

john grinsel wrote:
Honda couldn't sell the SilverWings----so why would anybody want to steal one? I expect if stolen is not recovered---pay off would be little as the market price.  No alarm for me.

Yea John. Not everyone can afford to get a new bike every two-three years. If someone either stole or totaled my bike, I am sure the insurance company's check would not be enough for me to get another new bike. Just think if you had to give up riding forever. Not a good feeling, and I understand. This is probably my last bike for me. I have a personal attachment to this bike. That is why I put all that JUNK in it, besides the fact that I cannot leave things alone. I like to tinker with my bike. I should name my Swing "Tinker" for Tinker Toy. LOL! You all ride safe.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't know about the rest of the US but on the left(ist) coast it would be very unlikely anyone would steal a scooter. Unmanly you know. The most likely bike to be stolen is a Harley of course or a sport bike. We don't have the HISS system on US Silverwings either, at least I've never seen one so equipped here.
As for gas mileage, there seems to be a natural law in air resistance that if you ride over 70mph the mileage goes down quickly. One reason is that air resistance goes up with the square of the velocity so a smallish increase in speed requires more horsepower to overcome square law losses. Considering that most light aircraft reach take off speed at 70mph, some even less, air resistance and pressure is pretty impressive. Bolt a two foot by two foot piece of plywood athwart your bike in front of the handlebars and you might not be able to reach 70mph.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 7:37 pm

exavid wrote:
... ... Bolt a two foot by two foot piece of plywood athwart you bike in front of the handlebars and you might not be able to reach 70mph.

I tried that but I still got buffeting.

:lol!:
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 9:36 pm

2' x 2' is only slightly larger than my old Clearview windscreen. Fuel economy took a big hit when I installed the new "barn door" windscreen vs the OEM screen. And while top speed didn't suffer greatly it may have taken longer to get there. Comfortable though.

Tim
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 9:05 am

exavid wrote:
I don't know about the rest of the US but on the left(ist) coast it would be very unlikely anyone would steal a scooter. Unmanly you know. The most likely bike to be stolen is a Harley of course or a sport bike.

I agree. The scoots just don't have much of a following here in the states. To be a man here, one is supposed to be on a Harley Davidson, without a helmet or protective clothing and fulfill the image of a weekend warrior/tough guy. Monday is spent back at the office being an accountant. Harley has done a great job at marketing, not only the bike, but accessories such as clothing as well.

Honda IMO, is in a class of it's own in the U.S. Followers here are people who don't give a darn about fitting in and simply want a reliable bike.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Honda changed the reputation of motorcyclists in the US when they came out with their, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" advertising campaign. When I was in high school in the late '50s any one who rode a motorcycle to school was considered somewhat of a 'hood'. Even though I rode a Triumph Thunderbird.
The best reason to ride a Honda these days is for reliability, functionality and the lack of needing to wear a pirate uniform like a HD rider must.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 pm

I tried riding without a helmet once when I was young and foolish. Legality aside the bug that came at a tangent straight into my ear was enough to put me off.
I suppose if you ride slow enough you could get away with it... but having a 80 year old granmother in a little hatchback beeping and flashing her lights at you to get a move on would be bad for the machismo :-)
Wear the gear, enjoy the ride, seems to be the way this side of the pond!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Experiences   SilverWing Experiences I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Definitely AGATT (All The Gear All The Time) I've had a couple unplanned dismounts from motorcycles and was basically uninjured because of having worn decent safety gear.
Back to top Go down

SilverWing Experiences
Page 1 of 1