Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Shinko Tire opinions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

Shinko Tire opinions Empty
PostSubject: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 1:23 am

So the tires that came with my my swing are somehow 2 years older than the bike itself (2001 marked). I think I'm going to install Shinko 567 and 568 as replacements. They get as good of reviews as any other tire and are a little cheaper.

Is anyone running this combo? I'd appreciate opinions.

I searched and did find one topic from 4 year ago but am hoping to get a more up to date opinion.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 7:14 am

Shinko were Yokohama. Not recommended by Honda in book----My 2013 was/is of the last sent to US, IRC in the correct recommended size is.

Michelin Power Pure SC rear can be found around $40----long thread life and wears round!!

Currently have matched set of IRC.....when rear wears down, will replace it with Michelin Power Pure SC as they will go 10,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 11:35 am

When you say not recommended by Honda where are you referencing? Is there a recommended list or is shinko specifically not recommended?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Owner's manual for model year shows recommend tires. Has changed over the years from Bridgestone Hoop to IRC. Hoops wear square on rear.

Even though not tested on SilverWing by Honda, Michelin Power Pure SC have worked for me on both SilverWing, and Burgman 400, total 4 tires, on rear---features for me, they wear round and last 10,000 miles. Power Pure did not "feel" right on front---I changed back to IRC.

Notice: Burgman 400 and SilverWing both have same size wheels----but makers recommended Bridestone.....but two different tires by part numbers.

I have about 80,000 miles on 2 different new SilverWings and another 60,000 miles on2 new Burgman 400's.
And think their makers were right in their testing and recommendations---Face it MaxiScooters ain't the best handling things on 2 wheels, especially loaded for touring.

I do own tire work and use Ride On as balancing medium.

Germany: specific tires are usually spec for each bike---only one I know from experience was MZ, that said only size.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Whelp I ordered the shinkos I guess we will like how they are.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 1:41 pm

I put a shinko on the front of my Goldwing and it worked ok for 4,000 miles.  The price savings of the purchase price was ate up in the fact that I had to replace it so soon.  The E3 was 3 times the price, but it went 14,000 miles.  So, I saved money buying the more expensive tire.  

If you mount your own tires, I believe you can save some money buying the Shinko tires.

I would welcome to hear your experience with them.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Yeah the local place has free install. The tires were about $35 more through them than I could have gotten online but to me it's worth it not to have to deal with tire irons.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Why would anyone skimp on tyres? Why compromise grip and stability just to save a few dollars/pounds. Surely safety is more important. The last thing I want is to be thinking I should have spent a little more while I'm sliding up the road on my backside affraid

JB
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

If I thought the Shinkos were an inferior product I wouldn't buy them.  I've read many reviews and have had them on previous bikes. The only drawback I have seen is that they don't last quite as long as some more expensive ones.  I don't put enough miles on my bike for that to really be an issue.

Being less expensive doest automatically make a product inferior.   Having access to the experiences of hundreds of other owners allows me to get a pretty good gauge on a product before purchase and from what I have seen Shinkos are very much on par with Michelin etc regarding traction and reliability.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 6:57 am

Tires--I have used up, up to 450 tires in my 61 years of riding and find/found.....tires that do not last very long are soft compound rubber and probably good in rain/wet conditions.

Slipping in wet I do not like......not with SilverWing, but with motorcycles I have had good luck with Kenda and Chin Shin(when they were available in US)---both considered cheaper tires. Load rating//speed rating are important to me. and OH...that it is MC tire.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 7:27 am

I agree with that. I prefer replacing a set of softer compound tires more often to getting more mileage out of harder ones.

I will say that I had a set of Michelins on my last bike that had the dual compound tread and they were both nice and sticky in the corners as well as long wearing!
The highly siped front tire also gripped in the wet like nothing I had ever felt before. If their scooter tires had the same siping I'd probably have gotten them instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shinko Tire opinions   Shinko Tire opinions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shinko Tire opinions
Page 1 of 1