Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Shinko tyres update

Go down 
+4
Sidewinder Pilot
GHM-PM
Jinglebob
cotetoi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Shinko tyres update Empty
PostSubject: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 pm

I just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the SR series SR 568 Shinko set I put on last fall at 11,000 miles. I have put on about 4000 miles on them. They are quiet, wear round, ride very well and smooth. The rear has plenty of wear left and the front looks hardly worn. I do a combination of highway, side roads and do the speed limit, generally; only occasionally do short bursts of 120-140 km/h. I check tyre pressure every 2 weeks or so. Only had to top up once 2 psi front and rear.
I am very satisfied with these tyres and plan on buying another set when the time comes. No need to go another brand, these are very reasonably priced. I haven't ridden in the rain or in wet weather yet. I don't plan on doing so deliberately but I do carry rain gear, in case. Given their tread pattern, I don't anticipate any problems with rain.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 1:27 pm

I put a set on my Burgman 400. For the first 200 miles or so, they stunk on rain grooves....headshake and so on...but were otherwise good. As they've worn in, I've noticed they seem to be working a bit better on the rain grooves. Otherwise, no complaints...they handle well and seem to be wearing well also.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Glad you guys are happy with these tires! Some take a bit longer to wear-in than others maybe the case here.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I tried these for two consecutive tire changes, They were excellent on dry clear roads, but were absolutely terrible in rain. Like scary bad.

The first set was in the dry season, my second set was in the wet summer, and in the rain I would sometimes spin-out pulling away at lights or slide on corners.

I'm on my second set of City Grips and have had no issues.
Power Pure was also good.

Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 11:03 pm

I've got a pair of Shinkos on right now. I'll agree with everything Jay said. Haven't been in the rain much so I can't add to that. The one ride I did in the rain never made me think they would slip. The front tire does sing a bit right around 60 mph, which turns into a howl when you lean it over at that speed in sweeping curves. Doesn't seem like a loss of traction; I'm guessing its something to do with the tread pattern. Other than the noise, I've come to believe they are as good as any other tire I've had on the Swing (Diablo, Metzler, City Grip, IRC, Power Pure) with one caveat. I won't know what kind of mileage I'll get because I picked up a nail soon after getting them and will need to replace the rear in the next eight weeks to pass inspection. My guess (I have 3000 miles on them right now) is that they would go less than 5000 miles, perhaps as little as 4000 miles. For comparison purposes, most tires I've had would get me just about 6000 miles, with the Power Pures barely getting 5000 miles.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 11:16 pm

A friend purchased Shinko's (not sure what model) even though the dealer called them Sh*tko's! They ride nice, wear even and are quiet on his 400cc Majesty but he rarely rides in the rain. I think the dealer was getting a kick-back on another brand, hence the trash talk, but I've heard others call them the same thing. I personally hate Vee-Rubber tires. I call them Pee-Rubber.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 7:53 am

I replaced my rear tire at 18000 miles. I got 7000 miles out of it. No better, but no worse than previous tires I've had. The front still has plenty of tread. I searched for a local supplier, Canadian, but no luck finding one.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 am

Sidewinder can I ask what city grip you`ve put on the front please.

Its it a 120/70 14, I can`t find the 120/80 in that size, as I mentioned in a front springs thread I find the City grip on the back really transforms the rear comfort wise and an SC pure on the front so will be sticking with Michelins.

I nearly put a 120/70 14 City G on the front as the rear one was so good at absorbing bumps etc.

I wonder what the best tyre is for the Silverwing on that roads absorby type thing ?
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Silverwingdays,I've looked for Michelin City Grips for the front also and can only find 12/70-14 cause I have a new City Grip in back and they look great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shinko tyres update   Shinko tyres update I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shinko tyres update
Page 1 of 1