Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

It’s got great brakes.

Go down 
+10
zrx212
Davetech
steve_h80
phils a winger
exavid
Modernman1953
"Hi Yo"
Davefirestorm
dekare
Reg
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

It’s got great brakes. Empty
PostSubject: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 7:42 am

Yesterday, coming round a bend in a country road. There are to guys 18-19 walking a dog on the shoulder of the road and the dog is off leash. I immediate let of the gas and moved to the center of the road. Just in case.
Well, doesn't the dog (about a 45 pounder) run straight at me.

I jammed on both brakes full and stopped 1 ft from the dog.

That Swing has some great brakes. No wobble or skid. Just amazing stopping power.
I was sure I was going to hit the dog. It must have been the ABS that prevented me from skidding.

I did have a few choice words and some directions for these young lads that I will not repeat here.

Then went home and had a few beer.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 7:50 am

I agree. I'm a new comer to the Silverwing. I will say it does stop, for sure!
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 12:09 pm

I agree even without ABS on mine I'm impressed with the braking capability
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
It’s got great brakes. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 3:26 pm

The one most pleased with the stopping power is the dog.    cheers
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Even the non ABS models have linked brakes. I find the brakes satisfactory as well.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 1:10 am

I'm a fan of ABS brakes on motor scooters and motorcycles. Lots of guys think they can outperform ABs but they're kidding themselves. I had to hit the brakes hard on my GT because of a deer on a downhill stretch of loose gravel road. No problem and I could even steer with the brakes on hard. With non-ABS brakes I'd have been down without doubt. When you have to hit the brakes with no warning it's nice to know that you won't lock up a front wheel. After riding for many years on many different bikes I won't have another bike without ABS.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 am

Hi Yo You right. I'd have sooner hit the idiots with the dog. Than the dog.

What surprised me when I got thinking about it afterward was I did not feel pulsing from the brakes.
I thought the ABS would pulse. If it did, I didn't notice.

I have had both wheels locked on other bikes. ABS was much better when there is no time to think. Just react.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 3:00 pm

Been trying to find an abs front caliper for a while now (severe corrosion on body and on dust seal grooves) all the 2nd hand ones are from non abs so this is a good advert for abs except for the 14 plate on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262605802361?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT not sure what happened to it but it dont look like there's a straight panel on it. Was previously on at £2000, now £1500, very tempted if they would take an offer between £1000 and £1200, swap all my panels and break the 08 plate that needs a caliper, front wheel and probably an engine shortly due to oil loss caused by corroded filters.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Any excuse for a beer :-)
Glad you, the bike and the dog are ok.
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2020-07-08

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 7:23 am

Not sure if there is something wrong with my brakes; it stops, but nowhere near as well as previous bikes I've had (especially with a pillion, it can be quite scary).
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 1:14 pm

Brakes are overrated, they just slow you down  It’s got great brakes. 1f601  !!  IAC my 2012 oem work awsome   It’s got great brakes. 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Me too, stick with OEM. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 11:32 am

The Silverwing's are surprisingly good provided you grab both levers.
My other bikes do occasionally show a little rear abs activity during extreme anchorage, but this has never happened so far on the Silverwing which I put down to a combination of linked brakes and rear weight bias.
Anyone know of a safe and painless way to activate the abs to prove it's functioning? Some Yamahas have a system of doing this but Honda doesn't mention testing the abs unit.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 1:55 pm

I always found the Silverwing did haul up very nicely with both levers squeezed for such a big unit.

Forza brakes in a different league due to low weight and more up to date system.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 5:47 pm

"Grabbing both levers"...certainly. In all my years of riding conventional bikes, even from my first moped, I always found myself using both brakes in unison...right hand and right foot together. It just seemed like the natural thing to do...or in our case, both levers, regardless of the combined braking system.

I'm not a fan of combined braking systems but I must concede to the more experienced riders of 'performance' bikes.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm

The first time I used the Swing's brakes in anger (a moment of distraction resulting in a sudden need to brake HARD) I was very pleasantly surprised as it just hunkered down and STOPPED. The brakes were one of my favourite features of the Swing, I did have some decent pads and had overhauled both calipers to ensure all the parts were moving nicely. On it's own, the front brake was a bit feeble, but in combination with the left lever the bike worked beautifully.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 8:42 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
"Grabbing both levers"...certainly. In all my years of riding conventional bikes, even from my first moped, I always found myself using both brakes in unison...right hand and right foot together. It just seemed like the natural thing to do...or in our case, both levers, regardless of the combined braking system.

I'm not a fan of combined braking systems but I must concede to the more experienced riders of 'performance' bikes.

That's the proper way to brake both with equal pressure in most stops. Front does most of it but equal braking stops you much faster. Even with ABS a skilled rider can stop a bit shorter but panic stops or poor traction surfaces is it's advantage.

Linked or not if you push it to fast into a corner that rear brake will keep you from a front end slide, trail braking. Rear tire is wider bigger contact surface. Applied just enough to slow it down plus it loads front tire for better traction with very little braking load on tire. Search trail braking and try it at your own risk.

SW brakes are Okay a nice dual rotor front would have been better.

Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Loosemarbles wrote:

That's the proper way to brake both with equal pressure in most stops.  Front does most of it but equal braking stops you much faster. Even with ABS a skilled rider can stop a bit shorter but panic stops or poor traction surfaces is it's advantage.

Linked or not if you push it to fast into a corner that rear brake will keep you from a front end slide, trail braking. Rear tire is wider bigger contact surface.  Applied just enough to slow it down plus it loads front tire for better traction with very little braking load on tire.  Search trail braking and try it at your own risk.

SW brakes are Okay a nice dual rotor front would have been better.

Yes, trail braking still works on the SW with light/partial rear brake lever pulls, IMO the SW stops faster when using both levers on a hard stop mostly because you have more pressure/power actuating on front brake pads, the rear helps some, but we all know that rear brakes are normally weaker, but IMO they are so by deisgn to prevent lock/skids.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It’s got great brakes.   It’s got great brakes. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It’s got great brakes.
Page 1 of 1