Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tyre puncture sealant

Go down 
+4
oldwingguy
Winger61
Cosmic_Jumper
MadDog
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

Tyre puncture sealant Empty
PostSubject: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 5:33 am

Hi a question on tyre sealant , in the 70's - 80's I bought some sealant Rufforth Bike Jumble a guy was demonstrating it by sticking an icepick in a used bike tyre and it seemed to work well , buying it for my trip to the Alguarve Portugal . It was pink and the usual way of putting it in the wheel I had a puncture whilst there located the screw in the rear wheel removed it and out came some of the sealant not a lot [small screw] I rode back to the NE and had the bike [600 transalp] for about another 2 years no leakage, told the buyer about it not a problem. I have checked out the sealants on the market
i.e Goop, Slime , Drive safe , which are all green don't suppose the colour makes a difference, any info be very helpful need a need front tyre soon it is a winter priority besides some other jobs.
MadDog Cool

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 7:03 am

Dunno if "Ride On" tire sealant if available in the UK, but it is pink and works very well.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 7:06 am

I've got PunctureSafe in my tyres, worked fine when I got a nail in the back one.
IIRC it used to be called Ultra Safe?? or something similar. Quite a few on here use it, and on the UK site www.maxi-muppets.co.uk. It will also apparently help with wheel balance.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 8:17 am

The stuff works but be a nice guy and tell your tire changer it has the sealant so they can be prepared for the mess.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 8:21 am

Yes, it was Ultraseal but there was a dispute over the name some years ago.

I use it (PunctureSafe) and have found it most satisfactory.

It's water-soluble so doesn't cause serious problems for tyre-changers.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 10:00 am

oldwingguy wrote:
The stuff works but be a nice guy and tell your tire changer it has the sealant so they can be prepared for the mess.

I told the mechanic/tyre fitter that I had sealant in the Bridgestone tyres he was changing to Continentals for me, and his answer was "messy".

It's pretty easy to install Ultra Seal/PunctureSafe yourself, having used the plastic squeezy bottle in the past, I now put the required dose for each tyre in a syringe type oil suction pump and inject it straight into the tyre through the valve stem. That'll be even easier now I have angled tyre valves front and rear.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 12:50 pm

I had PunctureSafe in my bike tyres and collected a rear puncture. To be fair, it was a fairly jagged hole - not a nice clean nail-type puncture. The AA rescue service came and inserted a rubber plug from a gun type thing - can't remember the trade name. It got me home but was flat next day.

I pushed the plug back into the tyre (too easily for my liking). I ended up managing to seal it with the sticky string type repair kit and it was fine for a few days until my new tyre arrived.

The experience led me to test PunctureSafe on the old tyre. I found hammering nails into the tyre had no loss of air. Pulling out the nails gave a few blobs of sealant but the tyre remained sealed overnight and probably would've been ok permanently.

Next day, I tried a self-tapping screw (impossible to hammer in - had to screw it in). Instead of unscrewing the self-tapper, I decided to rip it out with pliers. Unscrewing it probably would have allowed the sealant to work. I don't know because I didn't try. Ripping it out brought some rubber debris with it and the PunctureSafe was unable to seal it.

Later, I cleaned up the hole where the self-tapper had been and did a successful seal using the sticky string repair kit.

As a result, from now on I'll always travel with sticky string repair kit and a 12volt tyre inflator.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Interesting post Flyingpanman. I have tried Puncturesafe and found it worked well. I too tried it out when I was fitting a new front tyre. Before taking off the old tyre I stabbed it many times with a screwdriver and the Puncturesafe sealed all the holes. I didn't try creating a jagged hole with a self tapper though.
I have also used the sticky string (aka 'Wiggly Worms'). They have worked well for me including a particularly bad jagged hole in a tyre on my car.
I always try to carry some with me as they are cheap and easy to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyre puncture sealant   Tyre puncture sealant I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyre puncture sealant
Page 1 of 1