Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Throttle Stabiliser

Go down 
+11
john grinsel
Easyrider
exavid
Flyingpanman
bikerboy
"Hi Yo"
Davefirestorm
terrier
sonuvabug
MikeO
MadDog
15 posters
AuthorMessage
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

Throttle Stabiliser Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 3:08 am

Hi one and all
A number of years ago I got a kickback after a diesel experience on a roundabout , whilst it knacked my fairing the worst thing was the damage to my right hand and thumb.
Thought it was broken but X rays proved this was not so, just badly bruised etc the consequences are that on a long run it still effects the thumb and combined with some arthritis it tends to ache , I have to do flexing fingers whilst trying to hold the throttle and steer. Whilst I manage at the moment progression of arthritis will make life more difficult. Sad
Has anyone had experience of a Kaoko Throttle Stabiliser ? whilst it seems a might expensive it seems to answer all my problems. Any input would be gratefully accepted Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 5:06 am

I've never come across it before but to satisfy my curiosity I Googled it and found this review; I found it most interesting so I posted it here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/kaoko-throttle-control/

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 928
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks for posting the review link Mike. Looks like a very well made friction throttle control device. Not sure I could justify the expenditure as I probably do not do enough flatish, long distance riding. However, it probably wouldn't take too many trips to cost justify the expense in terms of comfort and relief.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 1:54 pm

MadDog.........In my opinion a cruise control on a bike in the UK is an expensive luxury as there's not many roads that you could sit for miles on cruise. I find that even in the car and on motorways in the UK you no sooner set the cruise control and after a few miles the traffic bunches up and you have to knock it off. If you just want to give your right arm/wrist a short break some swear by the Crampbuster. The only problem is that you still have to keep your hand resting on the throttle. I use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-NYLON-MOTORCYCLE-CRUISE-CONTROL-WRIST-REST-CRAMP-GRIP-THROTTLE-BUSTER-22MM-/121133202046?hash=item1c3419fa7e:g:rc8AAMXQDfdRwZDL It can be set to hold the throttle open whilst giving your hand/arm/wrist a short break. I have the same problem with arthritis and need a short ease sometimes. I only paid a fiver for mine. I wouldn't have paid the full price for something I might only use very rarely. Having said that it does work, you just have to be aware that the throttle is effectively jammed on and be prepared to shut off when need be. Look on youtube you'll see some demonstrations of this type and also some nifty diy ones.

Den small moped
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Stick the throttle on left side maybe?? Harley or Indian used left hand throttle on military models I believe (guess I will be corrected if wrong by members in USA)Laughing
Mate of mine has similar issue due to bike accident he's ok with throttle but front brake an issue as his grip is very weak
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Throttle Stabiliser 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm

I would look at the item posted by terrier. I had a similar item ( Go Cruise) and it worked well for what it was. It was good for giving the hand a rest when on long flat stretches, and the price was okay.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: throttle stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 pm

I used a Kaoko on two bikes but I find the cramp buster to be just as useful.  IIRC in my ST1100 days a John Deere 'O' ring on the throttle made a good friction damper but I can't recall the part number !
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 pm

I just tried to insert some text and a couple of photos but can't seem to get the pics sorted. It's late and I'm too tired to sort it now.

Anyway, here's a link to something I put on a UK forum showing my solution.

http://www.lancsbiker.co.uk/'how-to'/diy-throttle-holder/
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 10:12 pm

I have a Kaoko throttle holder on my 650GT. Big help. But the greatest benefit for me, who also has arthritic hands is a Cramp Buster. I had one on the last four bikes I've owned. I use the narrower version so that I can grip the whole throttle if I want to. I also shorten the tongue to about half the normal length. The reason for that is the long one would catch on my glove once in a while. The shorter length is still long enough to work fine but won't hang up on a glove.
The crampbuster allows you to rest the heel of your hand on it's extenstion to hold the throttle without wrapping the fingers around the handlebar. It's easy to slip the thing forward around the grip to get it in position for whatever speed range you want. A real boon to me.
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-control-and-brake/grips-universal/crampbuster-single?gclid=CPyz5tC8g84CFYMdgQodI48F_w
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 pm

Flyingpanman wrote:
I just tried to insert some text and a couple of photos but can't seem to get the pics sorted. It's late and I'm too tired to sort it now.

Your link does not work for me. It is asking me to login, or the path of your link is invalid.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 5:21 am

Easyrider wrote:
Flyingpanman wrote:

Your link does not work for me. It is asking me to login, or the path of your link is invalid.

Same here !
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 am

Sorry, I thought it was a basically open to read forum.

Having difficulties with this site and pics. Some image hosting site wants my password and can't remember it, plus this site seems very slow/hesitant. My personal album is "moderated" or whatever, and in total not having an easy process to post pics.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am

I, once in a while use cut and modified cramp buster I carry with.

Tried Throttle Meister on my Concours=too much mickey mouse to use.

O-ring on Concours---not so handy

Both SilverWings, NEP----with some mods, maybe best.

Had GoCruise on my TU250----ok and probably will use on my next new bike...as easy to put on.

My Kawasaki Voyager, 4 cylinder had electric cruise control=never again for me==gives shot of gas just when you don't need it. But otherwise nice bike, if you like to ride a barge, could fall on side without hurting anything, auto valve adjust!! even radio and wonderful gas mileage, 2 step centerstand.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 12:24 pm

A cheap wide rubber band will add relief on one of those long rides. I throw a couple of them somewhere on the bike and pull one out when I am on that kind of a ride. My Silverwing is an "in town" bike for me as I have an 1800 Goldwing with cruise control for the long rides.

I am considering adding a throttle lock. I have a cramp buster on the Silverwing as well.

I have used an O ring in the past too.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm

I used my $20 Go Cruise throttle lock on a 1200 mile ride in June and it worked like a champ. Probably one of the better $20 investments I've made when it comes to things with motors! I highly recommend it. It's cheap enough that you can always buy something else if you're not happy with the product!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 pm

I use the Vista Cruise Throttle Clamp. Easy to install, not that expensive, and easy to use. Looks like it is an OEM feature.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 8:58 am

I've used Vista Cruise Throttle Lock/Clamp on my other rides and also have it on my SWing. It's simple to install and easy to use. You adjust the holding tension yourself to what you prefer and it "unlocks" with a flick of your thumb. I've been using these for many many years with no problems.
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 10:36 am

Tanks for all the info on cruise control , tried Utube and two novelty cheapies there , one made from cable tie and the other a but steel wire. So I'm gonna try them and see if they're any good , will let you know how I get on.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 11:29 am

Further to my previous posts, I discovered why no-one could access the link. It was to a "Members Only" area of the forum. I moved the post to an open browsing part of the forum. Please tell me if it doesn't work for you. Here's a link to it...

LancsBiker.co.uk
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 12:58 pm

It works, thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 5:23 am

Sorry, but it looks bad. I would try the O-ring first before going the wire ties method. That's my 2¢.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 10:37 am

I've used a couple of Throttle Rockers to good effect, but I always end up losing them. I don't think I've ever needed a cruise control, I don't use the one on our car, and my Go Cruise permanently sits inside the lid pocket of my Givi top box unused year after year.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Sorry, but it looks bad. I would try the O-ring first before going the wire ties method. That's my 2¢.

Whatever you may think, it's been working on that ST1100 for four years now. I've also had another on my Kawasaki KLV1000 for 18 months. That bike has brushguards fixed to the handlebar ends and so does my silver wing now. An O-ring would mean dismantling the handlebar ends.

With the Silver wing, you can't just pull the clutch and coast while you adjust your dress/scratch your bum/whatever with your right hand. Therefore it becomes more useful than on manual bikes.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Stabiliser   Throttle Stabiliser I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle Stabiliser
Page 1 of 1