Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Right Crankcase Cover

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-05-16

Right Crankcase Cover Empty
PostSubject: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 6:44 am

Hi All,

I have noticed an oil leak coming from the right crankcase cover; i searched and it looks like is kind of a common issue, so i would like to take the cover off and have a look.

I have checked on the parts diagram and it looks like there is no gasket/o-ring in between the cover and the crankcase?

has anybody done it, and can advise if that is correct? or if there is anything i need to know before starting the job?

Many Thanks,

Marco
Right Crankcase Cover Screen10
Right Crankcase Cover Screen11
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 8:02 am

Yes, I've done it. The cover doesn't have a gasket but using [Tip# 1] Honda or Yamaha sealant is strongly recommended for reassembly. Same product, different label.  

You'll need to remove the muffler, right side swing arm and, to gain access to all those cover bolts, drop the exhaust header pipes. [Tip# 2] Several of those cover bolts are different length. Be sure to note the location of the bolts, alignment sleeves and O-rings. Once you've removed the cover clean all the old sealant from both the crankcase and cover sealing surfaces with mineral spirits or acetone. Don't forget to clean the wire harness grommet too.

[Tip# 3] Use a couple of M6 All-Thread rod, 4"-6" long to act as guide pins when reassembling the cover. Otherwise the strong magnet in the Flywheel tends to make aligning things difficult. Be patient with the starter gear too. It's going to fall out a couple of times, but you'll ge the hang of it. One of the reasons to use Honda/Yamaha sealant is because it still works after all that bumbling around.

It is not a difficult job, but it is time consuming. Please let us know how you get on with this. We all benefit from shared information.

Tim
Back to top Go down
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 8:17 am

Thank you for your helpful reply Tim. may i ask you why did you remove it? was yours leaking too?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 9:28 am

Not a leak problem as several others have reported. On two occasions I had to replace a bad Stator. The first time I used a Permatex product as a sealant and it did leak --probably because the sealant dried while I was fumbling around trying to align things and keep the wire harness grommet in place.

Use alignment "pins" and the right sealant.

Tim
Back to top Go down
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 9:35 am

cool, thank you, so i guess this is not good...

Right Crankcase Cover Img_0610

it is just a generic Honda sealant, do you remember?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 10:35 am

You'll have to trust the guy at the Honda dealer's Parts Counter to sell you the right product. AFAIK it is just a generic Honda sealant. Maybe if you took that Permatex to an experienced Honda mechanic he could advise you whether or not it would serve the purpose.
Back to top Go down
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm

ok thanks mate, will ask my usual spanner man...
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 11:07 am

I'd return that and get the proper hondabond or yamabond
that copper has a place and IMO a motorcycle side cover isn't it
Back to top Go down
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 7:55 am

So i managed to find a 'threebond 1184' which apparently is the same staff used in yamabond and hondabond, and looks like the proper staff for the job after all the homework i have done.

Tim how much time did you allow to the sealant as 'cure time'?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 10:16 am

The two times I did the job it took me pretty much all day, or maybe a long afternoon. I don't have a proper garage to work in so all my work is done on the driveway. Getting up & down finding the right tools is difficult & tiring so, by the time I finished the job late in the day, I just put everything away and started the scoot the next morning. This is not to imply that it takes overnight to cure.

Moving beyond the, above, whining & grousing; why not run a bead of Threebond on a piece of cardboard, etc. and see how long it takes to cure. Also, doesn't the package or product have cure-time information printed on it?

Pay particular attention to that wire harness grommet. It seems to have a tendency to move to all the wrong places.

Tim
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 12:32 am

Did mine last week.
Time consuming but doable.
When I removed the cover the starter gears fell out.
There was a moment of panic.
I replaced them and everything else went well.
Reason I took the cover off was cuz the stupid grommet was leaking oil.
(60,000 miles on the old girl)
When I took everything apart and found out the wire was hard wired to the stator and the stator is beaucoup bucks, I just used a gasket maker on the grommet  to seal.
I used the same gasket maker on the cover. Permatex something or other.
There is also another pair of wires entering the crankcase. I permatexed that one too.
Just make sure all oil and grease is cleaned off all the parts.
I just used gas and Qtips to clean grommet.
enjoy the ride Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 7:13 am

old fart wrote:
<>When I removed the cover the starter gears fell out <>I took everything apart and found out the wire was hard wired to the stator and the stator is beaucoup bucks<>

It is unerving when that gear falls out, as it will, but the all-thread "guide pins" help to keep things in place, and the generous cure time of Hondabond, Threebond or Yamahabond will allow time to fiddle with falling gears and grommet alignment

Regarding that expensive stator; there is a place in Birmingham, AL which rewinds stators. He/they have been highly recommended on several motorcycle forums, have a turn around time of one week, and are about half the price of an OEM stsator. PM me, or check the Archives here for the name & phone number.

Tim
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 8:07 pm

I did this job last fall with good success using black RTV silicone. I didn't do any reading on the procedure, just tooled along. Total job is about 2.5 hours if you're familiar with wrenches. The reason I went in there was my stator died at 44k miles. I have a spare wing engine laying around so I swapped it out in an evening.
Back to top Go down
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:56 am

So i done the Job 2 days ago, rode the bike yesterday to work and back, done some milage this morning and is riding fine, very happy with the result and big thanks for all the help guys!

i done the work with the bike on the side stand, so it gave me more room to play....it took me about 1 hr to take everything apart, another hour to clean the old sealant away and make sure it was all dry and clean on both crankcase and cover, for a total of 3.5 hours job.

i left it seat for about 20hours and than filled her with oil and fired her again!

i had no issue with the starter gear, the fall out once removed the cover, but than put them back in place and stayed there no probs....

Same for the cables and the grommet, once pushed them in their place they don't tend to come out.

i didn't remove the bottom of the fairing as you can see on the picture, so i wasn't able to use the studs like Tim suggested as i had to give the cover  an angle to be able to put it back, if it make sense, but using both hands and some fiddling the cover went in no problem.

i used a little brush to spread evenly the sealant over the crankcase cover; with the help of a cloth i could clean the excess sealant off the brush... that staff is quiet runny.... it started to dry fast while spreading it, but it was enough time for me to finish the job.... this was the part of the all process which scared me the most, but if you organised it is just work fine i guess

the only **** up for me was a little o-ring which seats on a pin in the bottom of the case just under the stator, which i pinched and cut while trying to put back the cover before i used the sealant as a demo exercise....
i suggest to put the pin and o-ring on the cover rather than the case so when you go close the all thing you won't pinch it....i put some sealant over the o-ring and it seems to work fine...

other than that all sweet, thank you
Back to top Go down
AKA Marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:57 am

Right Crankcase Cover Img_0612
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm

chickendance chickendance Congratulations. A PITA job well done. Hopefully you'll be confident to tackle another 'crisis' should one ever occur.

If anyone is confused about the photo orientation, "up" is on the left.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Right Crankcase Cover   Right Crankcase Cover I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Right Crankcase Cover
Page 1 of 1