Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

tire pump.

Go down 
+4
Gustafa
john grinsel
exavid
gary c
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2015-09-21

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 pm

Is a mini hand pump practical for a silverwing? I've treated my tires with ride-on and was wondering if one would be a good back up. Would they even be "strong" enough to fill a scooter tire ? I'm thinking mini just to save space. Recommendations appreciated. ( plan on doing a lot of overnight camping)
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 12:31 am

It would require a good bit of pumping but would do the job if the pumpee was able to do the job. I carry a small 12V compressor, it will do the job, takes awhile but will do it. It took a good long time to add a four psi to my jeep's tire.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 am

And to think bikes used to come with pump----I carry hand pump and lately electric pump, only to use to get me out of places----like Alaska/Mexico or where ever else I might get stuck.

Don't think my stuff would re-seat tubeless bead----but at least can blow up plugged tire to get to proper repair facility. Again walking sucks and trip delays can be expensive.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

I'd rather go with a CO2 pump made for motorcycles, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJAUEA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R3HJT9ZSBCOG&coliid=IVKJZ7ZZ5641G
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 am

There are some small 12V pumps on the market that would take very little space and make the job much easier if needed. Assuming that you have a good battery...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 am

...and if the two CO2 cartridges don't work then what? I used a similar type puncture repair kit to try and fix a flat on a Helix rear tyre years ago, the two cartridges didn't inflate the tyre sufficiently and if you're not careful you can get frost burns to your bare hands off them. I'm not impressed with the twig type of tyre plugs in that kit either.

I do carry a Stop N' Go tubeless repair kit on my Silver Wing and the mushroom headed tyre plugs are a lot more effective at sealing leaks. I also have CO2 cartridges in my kit but I'd have to be really desperate to use them. I used to carry an Airman mini compressor but I junked it recently and have my eye on it's replacement. I wouldn't bother with any type of cycle hand pump, they used to be standard kit on BMW's and MZ's and you get hot, tired, and sweaty for a lot of effort and not many p.s.i. Cycle track pumps are very good at putting the air into tyres but are a bit too bulky and heavy to carry.

You can save yourself a lot of hassle treating your tyres with Puncture/Ultraseal, because unless you can get to a safe place off the road to attempt to fix a flat tyre you're likely to be hit by a passing vehicle. The problem is a lot worse if it's raining or if it's dark. Membership of a motoring organisation and carrying a fully charged mobile/cell phone.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 10:58 am

Totally agree with Meldrew. Ultra seal, Stop n Go kit, selected tools and spares, AA/RAC recovery, credit card, mobile phone and charger. Much more than that and I might as well take the van Surprised
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 pm

I use the Stop & Go mini pump to go along with Plugger repair kit. Good air delivery and small compact size.
http://www.stopngo.com/mini-air-compressor-for-motorcycles-scooters-atvs-only/
tire pump.  Tire_p14
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

tire pump.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: tire pump.    tire pump.  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 6:30 pm

I have used the 'explosive' method of seating a tire on a rim. It was on a Jeep I had that became unseated after deflating due to a leak. Being back in the woods with just a little electric compressor it was obvious that pump wasn't going to reseat the tire. I did have a can of starting fluid in my emergency box. I shot a bit of staring fluid into the tire followed by a lit match and "WOOMPH" the tire was back on the rim. I'd seen the trick on YouTube. It works. I have added a can of hair spray to my Jeep's emergency box though, it seems to be a bit less 'energetic' than the starting fluid.
Back to top Go down

tire pump.
Page 1 of 1