Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing Drivebelt.

Go down 
+20
chilled-loud
Silver Dave K
AldusFran
bikerbill
Meldrew
Winger61
oldwingguy
cotetoi
The Bern
vmaximus
Old Limey
gremlin
GHM-PM
bicyclenut
Kenjj50
Cosmic_Jumper
Cookie
micbusathens
john grinsel
Scootaboy
24 posters
AuthorMessage
Scootaboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-28

Silverwing Drivebelt. Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi Guys, I have now clocked up  over 16,000 miles and my 600 SW is due for a belt replacement which I will do myself along with the rest of the 16,000 service. My query is this, do I go for a genuine drive belt or do I go for a Gates replacement, there is obviously quite a difference in price. Gates I know are good quality and a long standing quality product making fitments for the automotive industry or do I stay "safe" and stump up the extra and go for the genuine belt I am leaning towards a genuine one as I tend to buy genuine stuff but I thought I would see what opinions people have

Any info would be helpful, thank you Scootaboy (UK)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Honda OEM belts work best for me. Present left over 2013, I ran original belt 20,000 miles and then changed.

Now 400,000 rubber band drive scooter miles since 1990, 9 new scooters, only one broken belt underway, always replaced belts with OEM---I think they are good quality and do their job.

I always carry spare belt as dealers tend to not stock them----delays on trips can cost a lot
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 3:14 pm

OEM .Best Value for money.Lasts twice as recomended at least.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 3:20 pm

I would definitely go with oem where belts are concerned.
I got my last one from Makinaparts in Greece and it was a lot cheaper.
I just looked them up.
A Honda belt from Greece is €84 = £65 which is cheaper than a gates.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Since we in North America don't have access to the Gates SW belt there isn't any, or we dont have any, historical data to compare. I've always used Honda OEM replacement belts and have never given them a 2nd thought --put it on and it's good to go for another ~20,000 miles.

Do keep your old belt as a spare though.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 4:34 pm

In the scheme of things...the cost of an OEM belt over 15-20,000 miles is incidental. Go with Honda.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 pm

I actually just replaced mine today and used an OEM Honda belt, 7200 miles, looked in great shape but its a 2003 and I don't think the previous owner ever replaced it.

I work in Automotive and we have a Gates rep, but I still decided that the OEM was a better choice. Don't get me wrong, Gates makes a high quality belt and other parts, I am sure they actually make many OEM belts and they have even have produced some replacement products that have improved on the OEM designs.

In this case, I would just stick with an OEM Honda belt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Thought: Since from Honda Reflex on----things have to be taken apart to get belt on or off, best to use proven OEM belt that lasts as long as possible----Helix belt could be changed by pulling rear clutch pulley apart/blocking with piece of wood and belt would go on and off=great design.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Shop online for the best price and get the OEM belt. eBay usually has some cheap replacements but since it is an involved job and I use my SWing for touring... Honda belt is only choice.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 pm

bicyclenut wrote:
I actually just replaced mine today and used an OEM Honda belt, 7200 miles, looked in great shape but its a 2003 and I don't think the previous owner ever replaced it.

I work in Automotive and we have a Gates rep, but I still decided that the OEM was a better choice. Don't get me wrong, Gates makes a high quality belt and other parts, I am sure they actually make many OEM belts and they have even have produced some replacement products that have improved on the OEM designs.

In this case, I would just stick with an OEM Honda belt.

Obviously the Honda belt is not made by Honda. I understood that it is a Mitsuboshi belt and that is what I used for a replacement. It also happened to be the cheapest brand name belt I could get ( from Italy ), but the price was not my main concern.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 4:22 am

On my last Silverwig I used the Gates belt at 16,000ml. I put a Gates belt on again at 32,000mls. I had no problems and I now have 12000mls on my present  bike and intend to put a Gates belt and Dr Pulley sliders on at 16000mls. Personally it is okay by me. Smile
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Silverwing Drivebelt   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 4:58 am

Gremlin the fjs Silverwing does use a Mitsuboshi drive belt and are advertised on Amazon UK and distributed by Vicma at a lower price than Honda OEM. Due to the fact that hardly no one has had a drive belt brake is testimony to the quality of the OEM belt but has anyone used a aftermarket belt as a comparison. I have used allsorts of aftermarket product on my scooters from drive belts,  brake pads, oil/filters, brake oil, coolant and DR Pulley sliders with no problems what so ever. I did use a OEM belt at the 16000 mile change but am tempted to use an after market the next time that I do a belt change due to the fact that no one has reported belt breakages or abnormal wear from either OEM or A/market belts . If there is any body running with a after market belt please give us your thoughts on the current belt that you are running,(performance/belt wear etc.)
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Silverwing Drivebelt   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 5:02 am

Old Limey, you have answered my question before I had finished typing.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Gates belt on mine as well, all is good
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 am

I have come across Erlandson drive belts for the SWing and the Helix. When I search on EBay and Amazon, I get lots of results for snowmobiles and ATV's, but not for the SWing or the Helix. I wonder if anyone has a specific number for the SWing, and by chance one for the Helix.
I have to replace both pretty soon, and since there seems to be no contraindications, I'll get the more reasonably priced ones. Erlandson belts are reasonably priced( compared to Honda) too.
Thanks.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 2:24 pm

cotetoi, Erlandson belt for Helix is listed here ..... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/52005/i/erlandson-kevlar-scooter-drive-belts

For Silver Wing ..

http://tinyurl.com/gpov9hr
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 4:32 pm

My mistake, The Bern. I meant that I have seen the Erlandson belts on EBay and Amazon, but not the Gates. I want to compare prices between Erlandson and Gates. I wrote to Dennis Kirk and they replied that they do not carry the Gates belts. I don't believe they are very common in North America, but you never know, someone will soon set me straight.
Thanks for your search, much appreciated.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Ahh, cool best I can do is part number for Silver Wing (OEM # 23100 MCT 003), Gates # 9802-41804 it's available from Wemoto in the UK but I think postage & duties would make them an expensive supplier for you
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Been digging & find HONDA HELIX 250 90-99 (OEM code: 27601-21F11), Gates # 9802-31806
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 pm

I looked up Wemoto, and the costs for the belts are prohibitive. I'd do better getting them locally. I wouldn't pay shipping in the US, and I can find the Erlandson belts easily.
Thanks, The Bern, you have been a tremendous help.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 8:39 pm

My belt arrived with a OEM label around it the belt has Mitsubishi printed on it and the marking on the OEM belt on my S'Wing are the same.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Of course, Mitsuboshi are the OEM manufacturers of Honda belts. No car or bike manufacturer makes their own, same as they don't make their own tires. There is no such thing as a Honda belt. That is why I cannot understand everyone trying to get a different brand. The OEM belt is very well priced and you know you got the real McCoy.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 4:43 am

I had no problem getting a Gates drivebelt. Honda dealer wanted £149.Gates belt £77 off EBay. As I said before I have used a Gates belt at 16,000ml and again at 32,000ml never had a problem.Gates are one of the largest makers of drive belts in Europe.They make commercial belts for industry and for vehicles. Up to the individual buy what you are happy with. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 am

Old Limey is correct - Gates are an excellent make.
However as a Honda oem belt is only £65 from Greece it's got to be worth a thought.
I got mine from Makinaparts in Greece and it was delivered in a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 am

Erlandson belts on the way for the SWing and the Helix. Ride reports in the summer.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 1:05 pm

What was the Total cost Cookie?
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Old Limey
The exchange rate has changed since I bought mine as it was a while ago now but I've just looked it up on their site...
Belt - part no 23100-MCT-003 - price 83.99 Euros = £65.76
Shipping 15.50 Euros = £12.14
So the total would be £77.90. That's inclusive of taxes (Vat).
I used an online currency converter but obviously the rates change a bit day to day. They take paypal which converts it for you. I assume they take debit/credit cards too.

I bought a few other bits along with mine. Some are cheaper than in the UK whilst others are about the same.

Here's the link:

http://makinaparts.com/lang-en/honda/668-23100mct003-honda-belt-drive-fjs-600-silverwing.html

The belt covers all the years I think.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 5:15 pm

UK-based ebay seller has Gates belts for £77.73 with free p&p, or collect from local Argos store.
(Type drive belt Honda fjs 600 into shop search box, top left)
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brooks-Barn-Motorcycles?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Another UK seller does standard rollers if you didn't want to go with different ones. Free p&p - again, just use the search box, same as above.
Haven't used either seller myself, but they seem to be OK.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Chinese-Motorcycle-Dealers?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks Cookie. Looks like I saved about 20p by getting mine off EBay two weeks ago. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 am

Old Limey wrote:
Thanks Cookie. Looks like I saved about 20p by getting mine off EBay two weeks ago. Smile

Which is a result, as you're all tighter than a goblin's foreskin over there in Lancashire! Smile
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 8:39 am

Tight or frugal Laughing it depends I guess which side of the penny you stand on :arrow:
Back to top Go down
bikerbill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Erlandson belt DBHOMCT is for the Silver Wing. I found it crossed referenced with the OEM belt on a few websites. Here is a link to Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Erlandson-Technology-Scooter-Kevlar-DBHOMCT/dp/B00DX8AVP0

No I haven't changed my drive belt on my Swing. Just wanted to show an option.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 7:02 pm

I bought an Erlandson belt for my SW and after 3000 mis. everything looks good in the drive compartment. The Erlandson was $40.00 less than OEM . I do a visual check every 1000mis. and find belt is in good shape with minimal dusting. If this belt does not perform as per OEM I'll be the first to let everyone know on this site. OEM belts goes through three or four handlers ; Erlandson goes through one . After market products usually meet or exceed factory specs.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Meldrew

I'm assuming that's pretty tight! Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 4:37 am

To anyone in the North of England the rivalry and friendly sniping between Lancastrians and Yorkists is well known. It dates back to the "War of the roses"(Lancashire having thered rose and Yorkshire the white). We each accuse the other of being miserly and tight fisted,and  take every chance to belittle each other, all in good spirit. As Meldrew is from Cumbria he would be expected to side with the Lancastrians,but,as he now lives in York. He has gone over to the DarkSide!!.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2022 6:33 pm

AldusFran wrote:
I bought an Erlandson  belt for my SW and after 3000 mis. everything looks good in the drive compartment. The Erlandson was $40.00 less than OEM . I do a visual check every 1000mis. and find belt is in good shape with minimal dusting. If this belt does not perform as per OEM I'll be the first to let everyone know on this site. OEM belts goes through three or four handlers ; Erlandson goes through one . After market products usually meet or exceed factory specs.

I ordered this belt today and because I can’t see if you ordered it and enjoyed it I hope I can too.

It’s hopefully gonna work but I’ll update. The Amazon QA is where I usually confirm and I saw a few that confirmed. So yeah updates to come.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 12:42 pm

Had a peek at my 20K 3 year old belt on the swing last week and its as fresh as. compared it to a new belt and little or no wear so its staying put for another 10K at least .........

The other thing I noticed was how clean the drive housing was , just a little bit of black dust from the belt but otherwise as clean as a whistle.....gotta love Honda R+D
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 1:18 pm

cello33 wrote:
Had a peek at my 20K 3 year old belt on the swing last week and its as fresh as. compared it to a new belt and little or no wear so its staying put for another 10K at least .........

The other thing I noticed was how clean the drive housing was , just a little bit of black dust from the belt but otherwise as clean as a whistle.....gotta love Honda R+D

Good to know mine should hold till the swap. Gonna keep it as backup 😂
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 6:06 pm

cello33 wrote:

Yes, a belt that's used regularly is more apt to last longer, the use and heat cycling really keeps the rubber pliable, etc., the little of dust is a good indicator that belt is not degraded. With all that said exceeding the change interval is strictly a personal choice/chance/risk silent The SW600 has a very generous belt change interval compared to other large scooters, it's also a heavy scooter, etc. Plenty of testimony of results of exceeding mileage on this site, both good and bad study

BTW, I installed a Earlandson belt($90)about 4k miles ago and bought a second for spare($70) a few months ago, I checked belt at around 3k mi and is in very good condition, no wear or excessive dust, etc.
It runs/drives good, etc.

I'm read some about the Earlandson "G" boost belts and they are well regarded, but I'm fully aware, that at the price point they sell the SW belts, they are NOS, maybe not so fresh scratch , that and the fact I'm using a Malossi white torque spring (places more stress on belt) and my slightly aggressive driving at times Rolling Eyes ,so I plan on replacing it at 10-12k miles or 4 years. "Peace of Mind is Priceless "
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 6:53 pm

zrx212 wrote:
cello33 wrote:

Yes, a belt that's used regularly is more apt to last longer, the use and heat cycling really keeps the rubber pliable, etc., the little of dust is a good indicator that belt is not degraded. With all that said exceeding the change interval is strictly a personal choice/chance/risk silent  The SW600 has a very generous belt change interval compared to other large scooters, it's also a heavy scooter, etc. Plenty of testimony of results of exceeding mileage on this site, both good and bad study

BTW, I installed a Earlandson belt($90)about 4k miles ago and bought a second for spare($70) a few months ago, I checked belt at around 3k mi and is in very good condition, no wear or excessive dust, etc.
It runs/drives good, etc.

I'm read some about the Earlandson "G" boost belts and they are well regarded, but I'm fully aware, that at the price point they sell the SW belts, they are NOS, maybe not so fresh scratch , that and the fact I'm using a Malossi white torque spring (places more stress on belt) and my slightly aggressive driving at times  Rolling Eyes ,so I plan on replacing it at 10-12k miles or 4 years. "Peace of Mind is Priceless "

This is quite literally the best answer I’ve had yet - THANK YOU

I will post pics after install and try to deduce any upgrades prior owner made.
Likely if I keep it stock w the belt change it will be less stressed until I make the “I go fast” upgrades. Respective to that, I think the 0-60 is impressive enough 😂
You’re very right about the weight of the swing because that was my driving concern. Between the terrain I trek and the aggressiveness of my riding, just had to check.
Thanks again for addressing the concern towards that gboost belt.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 9:43 pm

I appreciate all the information here about the belt- I just got a GBoost belt last night (my SW is now 19 years old and despite only, 5000 miles at this time, I guess I’m getting a bit paranoid and hoping my luck doesn’t run out). I also bought the Dr tool from Partzilla so I’ll likely change it when it gets a little cooler out in the fall months. I plan to keep the original belt as a backup.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 11:53 pm

This from the nice gentleman at Erlandson Technology regarding the lack of direction rotation arrows on their G-Boost / Erlandson belt for our Silverwing,

”Anytime there is not a directional arrow install the belt so that you can read the part number/label”.

I hope this clarifies any confusion.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2022 12:44 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
This from the nice gentleman at Erlandson Technology regarding the lack of direction rotation arrows on their G-Boost / Erlandson belt for our Silverwing,

”Anytime there is not a directional arrow install the belt so that you can read the part number/label”.

I hope this clarifies any confusion.
Yes, it certainly does, and it’s good to hear something “official.” Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Drivebelt.   Silverwing Drivebelt. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing Drivebelt.
Page 1 of 1