Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A fork(ing) mystery

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-09-12

fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  Empty
PostSubject: A fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Evening all.
I am taking the opportunity to install progressive springs at the same time as doing a stanchion tube replacement (and adding fork boots - lesson learned).

Having taken my forks apart I found that the current springs are in two sections - a smaller "bumper" and the main spring. They may well not be standard, the provenance of my bike is uncertain.

The Hyperpro instructions say remove the 60mm spacer. Yet when I put the springs side by side the two-part (old) spring is as long as the new progressive spring. (Will add photo)

My question is - do I still use the small bumper spring? I will do a dry run in the morning but wondering if anyone's encountered anything similar.

Thanks for your help.

p.s. if you have the definitive answer about which way up the springs go, I'd like to hear it!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: A fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  Image21
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: A fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:54 pm

The springs you took out may indeed be not original. When I installed HyperPro Springs in my 2012 Swing, I followed the instructions exactly and everything was fine. I put the OEM springs and spacers in the HyperPro box and put them in my shed.

As I recall, the instructions call for an oil level of 100mm which I did. The manual calls for 97mm. I would have stuck with Honda's recommended level if I were to do it over, as my forks are a little stiffer than I like. Not worth taking it all apart over 3mm though.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: a fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 7:08 pm

It has been a while but if you are refering to the rebound (short) spring) it is orginial but you did not have to go this far. The tightly wound end of the orginal springs face up. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Re: A fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Yes, 6 in the diagram is the rebound spring. So just to be clear, that stays in the fork, yes?

Thanks for the prompt help everyone, love this forum Smile
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: A fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 5:58 am

Yes the little spring stays. Not sure of its purpose, it seems way to soft and slight to be doing anything- but I'm no Honda engineer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A fork(ing) mystery    fork seal - A fork(ing) mystery  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A fork(ing) mystery
Page 1 of 1