Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original

Go down 
+6
Cosmic_Jumper
Ishkatan
tinman
hardee41
hotwings
ScottO
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original Empty
PostSubject: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 pm

I picked up a new battery from the local Honda dealer, asked the parts guy for a replacement battery and he gave me the Yuasa YTZ12S. I go to install the new battery and find that the positive is on the left of the new battery, the negative is on the left of the old battery. I checked the Yuasa website and it shows this being the correct battery for the Silverwing and shows positive on left.

Has anyone else run across this on other batteries? Am I going to need to take my Swing apart and swap my battery cables or can I get batteries with polarity matching my stock set up?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Can you not just flip the battery over? If that doesn't work I would get the proper battery.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 12:27 am

Flipping it and have the terminals at the bottom?
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 am

Posts to the rear.....?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 12:49 am

ScottO wrote:
Flipping it and have the terminals at the bottom?

Yes. Not sure if it would work, been a while since I've looked at the battery.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 am

I replace my batterie with the same Uasa ytz12s,and it went in the same way as the original stock batterie, no need to flip it around. That is the right batterie for the Swing.If it is not the same as the original , go back to the dealer for a replacement. The cost was about $132. + taxes.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks Tinman. I wanted this confirmation that I can get a battery with the correct polarity.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 12:08 pm

It seems that the + is on the Left.  The Yuasa in my bike has the + on the left but is placed On It's SIDE with the front UP.  That puts the + to the front of the bike.

On my bike, I am looking down at the big yellow Yuasa label and the bumps are to the inside of the storage compartment.   http://store.yuasabatteries.com/p/ytz12s  Hence it is laying on it's back with the label up.

A SigmasTek is currently (10/27/2015) on sale from BatterySharks.com for $20.45 + $9.30 shipping - same polarity.  The online chat person says.... picture is correct and + is on left.  (And ... "I'll be with you in a moment..." a lot.  poor Amanda.)  And that it can work on it's side like the Yuasa.  Went ahead and ordered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Huge difference in price between the YUASA at ~$130 and SigmaTek at ~$25. Gee, d'ya think there's any difference in quality?

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 2:49 pm

I think the YUASA batteries can be bought as either left- or right-handed.
It was something that had to be watched when buying batteries for the X9. It had very short battery leads.

I have a feeling that there is definitely a difference in quality from experience in the past.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Spec' sheet say only available with positive on left .........

http://store.yuasabatteries.com/p/ytz12s
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:34 pm

It's as said earlier ^^^ an orientation issue, fit it so that the label can be read properly when viewed from above standing on the left of the bike
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Pictures are worth a thousand words as they say Smile

Viewed from the right ..........

New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original DSCI0040_zpszruzukvd

Viewed from left (directly above battery) .......

New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original DSCI0039_zps2fppgbfn
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 pm

I'd be suspicious of a $25 battery. Might be an old fashioned lead/acid battery that has to be upright and needs a vent tube to prevent corrosion if and when it burps acid. The OEM battery was an AGM battery that can operate without a vent. Be sure of what you're putting in your scooter because I don't believe there's a $25 battery that would last any length of time in bike use. You'd be better served with another YUASA or Odyssey battery. Going cheap on a battery is a bad idea on a bike that can't be push started.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 5:27 pm

I am impressed. BatterySharks.com delivered the battery via 2nd day shipping - ordered 1pm Tuesday, found it on my door step when I got home Thursday.

The nice rep at BatterySharks said she is "not sure the battery will last 4" years... so an honest eval. And the battery does not look to be the same high quality build as the Yuasa - The Yuasa has nice bronze looking terminals and screws with sharp looking nuts... the SigmasTek has dull alloy terminals, screws and rectangular nuts. The Yuasa nuts rest on a spacer making screwing in the bolts easy. The SigmasTek nuts were too far down to catch the bolts - I finally put some insulation foam behind the nut, got the bolt threads to catch and pulled out the foam. But the battery fit right into the compartment and did not have vents or serious issues.

The fit in the battery box is the same - a larger battery will NOT fit without cutting plastic.

It seems to be holding a 13.49 voltage a couple hours after a 60 mile ride with several stops. The 5+ year old Yuasa has dropped from 12.77 when I took it out to 12.64. The main thing though is that when I start the bike it starts up with some authority while it seemed to be struggling on the old Yuasa. Given that the Yuasa came with the bike when I bought it I have no idea of it's age but feel it ows me nothing - and if I was more sure I would be keeping the silverwing I might have splurged. But I am experimenting with the Swing (car tire, beads) so a cheap battery seamed like something to try. Even if I buy one a year it will be like buying 1 Yuasa every 4 years...

Oh, the SigmasTek is made in Viet Nam. Might explain some of the price.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 10:26 pm

"Going cheap on a battery is a bad idea on a bike that can't be push started."

I fully agree with this statement. I have had Yuasa batteries in my Honda cars and bikes and their durability is outstanding. 11 years in my Honda Civic; 10 years in my Volvo S60 and never had one fail in a bike or scooter either. Of course engines nowadays do start more or less instantly with electronic ignition and fuel injection. The days of cranking over a starter motor for minutes are luckily well behind us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original   New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Yuasa Battery Polarity is reverse from original
Page 1 of 1