Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Installed a Givi windshield today.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Installed a Givi windshield today. Empty
PostSubject: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 12:08 am

I installed a Givi Airflow windshield on a friend's SW today. Took a bit less than half an hour from start to finish. I used the brackets in the Givi Installaton kit.
If you look at how the brackets tie into the scooter's frame after drilling out the plastic so that the bolt can pass through the bracket, plastic and into the threaded hole in the frame, it prevents a lot of flexing between the fairing, frame and windshield. It makes for a solidly mounted windshield. It's a lot stiffer with the brackets. I don't know why Honda has the threaded hole in the frame that they didn't seem to use but if you look closely at the plastic in the area you can see an oval molded into the plastic just over that hole in the frame. Apparently there was something planned for that hole and not done or perhaps European or Asian versions differ in that area.
Anyway the new SW owner is a lot happier with the Airflow screen compared to the OEM.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 1:21 am

Paul,

The AF is the best screen for the SWing IMO. That was nice of you to help him out too. I didn't put the brackets on the SWing I had because I'm a rebel but most here have done this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 4:28 am

I'd say your pictorial has helped everyone on here who has fitted an AF, I remember installing mine on a cold dark January day in my unheated garage with occasional reference to the pictorial on my iPad.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Installed a Givi windshield today. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:13 am

Paul W. applause

You need to change your signature line to:

No Silver Wing currently, but still working on them! Laughing

"Hi Yo"

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Installed a Givi windshield today. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:20 am

[quote="exavid" I don't know why Honda has the threaded hole in the frame that they didn't seem to use but if you look closely at the plastic in the area you can see an oval molded into the plastic just over that hole in the frame. Apparently there was something planned for that hole and not done or perhaps European or Asian versions differ in that area.[/quote]

Maybe the Honda engineers couldn't figure out how to install those &&@$##&  brackets either.  Mad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:47 am

Why would they when the stock Honda screen uses the original mounting holes. The real mystery is why there's two captured nuts hidden under the plastic which you drill out to install the brackets.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Precisely, that is indeed the question. There's a mystery part on the 1800 Goldwings as well, it's a link between two bosses under the exhaust system. Maybe Honda is hiding Easter eggs on its bikes just like Microsoft hides Easter eggs in their codes.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Meldrew,

Glad it helped and the Givi instructions are not very good. I know with the CTX I have Cee Bailey have very good instructions but the Givi instructions for the SWing kind of confused me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi windshield today.   Installed a Givi windshield today. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 12:48 am

The instructions for the GIVI might be nice and clear for Italian speakers. The real problem I had with the first one I installed was getting the brackets right. Once I figured that out it went pretty well. The pictures in the instructions with the numbers showing which screw went where was a big help. One other thing that wasn't clear is that the shoulder washer goes UNDER the bracket with the original screw reused. A screw is provided but the original one works better. The drilling out of the plastic is pretty easy, go slow with light pressure using a bit smaller than the screw. Once the drill goes through you can see how well lined up the hole is and drill it again with a larger bit that will ream out the plastic to clear the threaded hole. That screw in the bracket to the bike frame is important to keep the windshield from moving against the bike frame and prevents cracking. It really is best to install the brackets, GIVI didn't provide those installation kits out of the goodness of their hearts, they're needed.
Back to top Go down

Installed a Givi windshield today.
Page 1 of 1