Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) Empty
PostSubject: Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)   Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 12:31 am

Thanks to wealth of information available on this site, I installed a Givi AF214 on my 2003 SW today.
After reading posts about windshields, it seemed that the AF214 would be a good fit for me. I ordered from David Sparrow at KD Bags and Racks in New Zealand, of all places. He performed flawlessly. PayPal caused some problems, but I worked though those. Order shipped from Givi USA in Sparks, NV. It arrived in north Texas four days later. One thing I noticed and liked immediately was that they shipped it in a big box. So much merchandise is sacrificed in shipping these days because people don't know or care how to package to prevent damage. Givi packed the windshield in a box and then put that box inside another with packing paper around it. Excellent!
I then printed and read JeffR's installation PDF at https://www.silverwing600.com/t46-givi-windshield-installation-pictorial?highlight=windshield
Sat and cogitated for a couple of hours until it got up to 100 degrees outside. Then I went out and started. Step by step, very meticulouslly disassembled the cowling. Carefully, carefully pushed and pried on the cowling, having read that I should push down, then pull out so as not to break off the the plastic tabs. I broke them anyway! Darn. OK, break from original task to go inside, mix equal parts of epoxy and hardener in the JB Weld Epoxy Repair Kit, apply to broken tabs and place freshly glued cowling on the hood of the Chevy Avalanche so that it would dry more quickly in the sun. In hindsight, I should have thought that one through.
I went back to the scooter and started removing screws. Despite the setback, I was still in a good mood. So, I decided to install the controversial steel brackets. Went back in the house, unfolded the instructions, identified the English instructions from the other four languages and ciphered on that a while. Go for it! Mounted the brackets temporarily in place to see where to drill the holes. Found the drill. Found a drill bit. Gave the drill a quick zing. Went back to the toolbox to find a similar sized drill bit that wasn't bent. Installed straight drill bit into drill and drilled the first hole, and as promised, there was a tapped hole underneath into which I could install the screw. Repeated the procedure on the other side with the same success. I'm on a roll.
I went out on the driveway to check the progress of the glued cowling. Another setback. Who knew that JB Weld Epoxy would run after being applied and placed in the Texas sun?!!!! Serious deposit of JB Weld on the hood of the Avalanche. Luckily, with a damp towel and some patience, I was able to remove the expoxy glue from the hood of the car. Another crisis averted.
Went back to the SW, removed two of the screws from each steel brackets and mounted the windshield, finally. Perfect fit. Tightened all the screws, grabbed the upper portion (the adjustable part) and put it into place.
All of a sudden, I'm done, except for putting the cowling back on after the glue dries, which I'll do tomorrow.
Total time: an hour and a half. Not too bad, by my very lax standards.
I took it for about a 4 mile test ride. Loved it. Originally, I had it adjusted to be taller than the stock windshield. Then, about a mile from the house, I stopped and lowered it to about the same height as the stock windshield. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the adjustment is very easy. Just lift two tabs, slide up or down, and put the tabs back down. The windshield performs very differently from the stock windshield. Gone is the turbulence that used to rattle in my ears. The AF214 seems to cut through the wind very smoothly. I only got it up to 60 mph today.
Glad I bought it. Thanks for all the pertinent postings.
WB
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)   Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 7:40 am

Shame about the cowl, hopefully you'll remember for next time!!!

At least the install of the actual screen went ok. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)   Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:28 am

That upper headlight garnish stumped me as well. I could see with a flashlight that the previous owner had already epoxied the tabs. I stopped before i created more havoc and found a video here on how simple it was. A light tap on each side of the upper part of the garnish down on the same angle as the garnish and voila it pops right off!!
I wasnt installing a windshield ( the previous owner already had a givi installed ) i was trying to get access to a live wire for a direct GPS hookup.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)   Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 am

Check that the 10mm nuts on the two tabs are fairly tight. The tabs need to get to their closed position with just a bit of resistance. Pay for a four week holiday over there (plus shipping my Silverwing there and back) and I'll check it for you.
Couldn't tell you a recommended torque setting as I do mine by 'rack of eye'.

They are excellent screens though.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)   Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Today, I installed my new windshield (kind of long)
Page 1 of 1