Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?

Go down 
+3
MikeO
joncallihan
matthew
7 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 am

I'm thinking about taking maybe a 9 day tour, pretty soonish, maybe even September some time, before it gets too cold if I decide to head north.

I don't want it to be grueling, like having to cover 500 miles a day or anything like that. One idea, as an example, that I'm considering, is up to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. That would be about 900 miles from me - in NM (about as far afield as I'd want to go). So I'm figuring up there in three days, three days in that area, and three days back. I'll be camping along the way. A motel somewhere in there if I want something different.

I haven't decided if this is more than I want to do, and maybe I won't be able to decide before just heading out. I figure I can always stop wherever I want to, or even turn back if I decide to do that. Could turn into less than 9 days, but I'd allow that much time in case I want all of it. If I wanted to ride 500 miles one day and 100 the next, that's what I'd do. I'm figuring that heading out in some particular direction though would be a good idea, with a potential destination in mind.

If anyone has any experience with areas that they especially like and would recommend, let me know, keeping in mind time and distances.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 11:12 am

Matthew,

As you know, there is a huge amount of nothing but side winds between northern Colorado and the Tetons, but the view from the top of Togawee Pass (on US 287, just out of DuBois (do boys, not DeBwaugh)) is almost worth all of it.

An alternative would be to get to the Flaming Gorge area of Wyoming, then north. A couple of routes to Vernal, Utah, would include thru Steamboat on US 40 or over Douglas Pass north of Grand Junction to Rangley.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 11:37 am

I hadn't thought about the wind out on the open high plains, Jon - DUH!
I had thought about heading toward Vernal though. Maybe even staying around that area if I didn't want to continue further north.

All of this area would be new to me, and no doubt spectacular. I did spend 2 or 3 days up around Jackson maybe 30 years ago. And I'm sure getting into Fall up that way would be breathtaking. Cold too, though - nights right around freezing in September.

Thanks for the ideas.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:37 pm

Far be it for me........ but have you considered staying for a couple of nights in the same place during your trip?

In that way you can have a day's riding without carrying any luggage and having to get to the next stop by a certain time and, if you need a break, can have a day chilling off the scooter.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 pm

Absolutely, Mike. I'm not intending to run myself ragged at all. My idea is to leave it pretty open, giving myself the choice to decide exactly what I want to do. Ride on, or stay put. No real agenda, no real absolute destination, just some general directions. I'd be just as happy to stay put in a place I find especially beautiful as to hop back on the bike and go.

Thanks for mentioning it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 10:40 pm

MikeO has a good idea. There is a lot of good riding there so you may be able to keep most of your stuff in a hotel room and go in different directions. Get a hotel with a hot tub too, it does wonders for your sore muscles. Maybe others can meet up with you along the way. It would be nice to meet others from this site too.

If anyone ever gets to the S.F. bay area, here in California, get in touch with me. But take a lot of pics Matthew and hope you have a great time. You may also want to have a contingency plan, maybe a ride in a different direction in case the weather is bad at your first location. Sounds like a great time though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:58 am

I live 250 miles from Teton. It is a beautiful ride from my place to Teton. I'm not exactly the most direct route for you, but I can map out some nice routes for you if you decide to come this way. Depending on the dates, I could also put you up for the night and possibly ride up to Teton with you. If you opt to go through Vernal, UT and on up to Flaming Gorge Reservoir, I would recommend breaking off from U.S. 191 and take hwy 44 for some stunning vistas of Flaming Gorge. It is much more scenic than sticking with 191 all the way up to Rock Springs. Once you get to Manilla on hwy 44 you have a couple of different options for getting up to the Tetons. Through Colorado I can also recommend route 131 from Steamboat CO, down to I-70, then U.S. 24 through Leadville and down to Beuna Vista and Poncha Springs is a nice ride. Email me if you want more info.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm

MikeH
Great recommendations, and that is what makes this forum so neat. Can't beat recommendations from the locals.
Mathew we rode that area a few years back and wish I had recomendations from the locals then. It sure was beautiful country.
Long distance touring enjoyment is a lot in the mindset. You can choose to have a good time or you can choose to be discusted at the slightest hickup in you adventure. Sounds like you are going to have a great time. Visit with the locals, enjoy the roads and scenery and have a great trip. Take care, Dick
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks to all for the well wishes and ideas. Now if I can just make up my mind which direction to head in!

I won't be surprised if I get down to the wire - or almost down to it - and just throw a dart at a map, or something like it.

In the meantime I'll be working on bike maintenance and hope everything goes ok in that area, and getting some gear together. Different gear if I decide to head north from if I decide to go south. Decisions, decisions!
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Looks like I've made a decision. This could change, of course, but it feels good for now.

North from home toward Farmington, NM; then west to the Grand Canyon (never been there), southern rim; then south east to Payson, AZ; then east into the Gila Wilderness back in NM; then back homeward. Kind of a circle.

Fewer miles (this feels more workable), warmer climate (more conducive to camping, for me), time in the saddle and time to hang in some beautiful country of the American West.

I'll plan to take some pictures - which I almost never do - to post on the forum. Maybe it'll inspire me to get into photography!

Bike maintenance before leaving: finish bleeding the brakes, or get it done professionally; new drive belt and rollers; change the oil and filter. That should do it.

Thanks again for your ideas. Maybe I'll head up to Teton next summer, before the chill sets in, and if I feel ambitious enough.

Jon, unlike your friend up in Colorado, I tend to run cold, so I don't mind being hot, and find it easier, and more pleasurable, to try to cool down than to try to warm up.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:14 am

Matthew,

You should really enjoy that ride. Payson is a very nice small town. The winds on the Mogollan (sp?) Rim can be really fierce, tho. This time of year, the overnight temps should be what you have at home. Say hello to the big monoliths on the Aztec to Cuba road.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:08 pm

Matthew,

This is an interesting thread. I have been following it, even though I have little to offer as I've never been out that way.

But, those offering their advice have presented many interesting options for consideration both fr your ride and for others in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I've been through Payson on 2 occasions in the past couple of years, when I picked up scoots in Phoenix and rode them home. Didn't stop there or camp, just rode on through, but I remember how beautiful it is up in the mountains there, and this will be a chance to spend some time in the Ponderosa forests, which I love.

Never spent time in the Gila either, except to drive (not ride) through the Silver City area once. This time I'll be a bit further north at Quemado Lake area, and will have a day or two to hang out there. From there it's a good day's ride home.

There'll be a series of "firsts" on this trip, including the Grand Canyon.

I'm starting to get excited about the trip now, and am getting my gear and the bike ready for the road. The full circle should be about 1300 miles I think, with some of those miles off the direct route. I figure about half the time in the saddle and half hanging out, but all of this is completely open to changing, of course.
Departure planned for Saturday Sept. 19, God willing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 am

Sounds like a terrific route. I did something similar by car about fifteen years ago. It was my first visit to the Grand Canyon, and it is breathtaking. By scooter it should be even better. Enjoy, and take lots of pictures to show us.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?   Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking About a 9 Day Tour - Any Recommendations?
Page 1 of 1