Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 11:03 am

My SW is a 2002 model but still about 8 miles short of 16,000. I had bought a new belt some months ago and dedicated a couple of hours to replace it. First thing was to make up a tool to hold the variator out of a peace of 50mm flat bar, I was going to do the easy scissor type design but since I had the necessary sized drill peace I made the 3 hole design with the middle large enough to fit the socket through. Anyway everything had gone as planned, I was surprised that I found no wear on the pullies and not even on the belt which I believe was still the original that was fitted from the factory, only about a half millimetre difference from the new belt. Apart from dust the original rollers also seem in good shape. Taking out the clutch was a different story, although minimal wear on the clutch pads the clutch drum had deep scoring marks (see pic). I have to also mention that I never had problems with the clutch, I proceeded to clean all the dust out and re-installed everything back. Took it out for a long ride today and no problems whatsoever. The other problem I have noticed is a seemingly small leak coming from where the speed sensor is. No real major faults but since the clutch is behaving normally should I replace it? Regarding the oil leak problem, is this a common issue? I checked the transmission oil level and it was still full. Any feedback is appreciated.

aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak Clutch%20bell%20Silver%20Wing_zpsyg3lin0t

aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak Speed%20sensor%20leak_zpsd3ebzqqc
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Drive belt and small leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Except for the small leak at the speed sensor your pictures show a typical clutch with 16,000 miles. At this time it would have been a good idea to sand the clutch shoes and drum. There is also a small bearing in the clutch that could be lubricated but I would not be concerned at this time if you were no hearing a strange noise when first starting to move. I would keep looking at the sensor and wait till there was more of a leak. You could also look at the filter for the belt cover next time. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks NWSSC, I cleaned the filter and lubricated the needle bearings inside the clutch drum, if these are the ones you are referring to.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Being unable to tell how deep those grooves are in the clutch bell by looking at your photo it is difficult to say whether or not that is 'normal' wear. I certainly wouldn't replace the clutch shoes until the leading edge of the wear pads wear to the point that it is dangerously close to the clutch shoes themselves. And that may not happen for a very long time, unless the clutch bell scoring is pretty deep.

If those grooves are too deep then it would mean that the clutch bell and the clutch shoes should be replaced. Removing and reinstalling the clutch bell is not a walk in the park though.

I would thoroughly clean off that speed sensor and keep a close eye on it for an on-going leak --although I'd be hard pressed to suggest where an oild leak would originate in that location.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What would hurt to snug that lower bolt on the speed sensor and clean up the area?
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Small oil leak at speed sensor   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 11:25 pm

There is a small 'O' ring on the speed sensor,but this is a expensive part to be working on. It comes complete with the wiring harness and goes for about $150.00. Clean it off with brake clean or Simple Green and dry off the area. Be careful when you tighten it down.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:19 pm

I changed my clutch drum at 100.000 kms.Just found a used one as new and I pulled the trigger.Could have done twice as much kms
though.So keep riding.A sanding could be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak   aftermarket  oem belt - Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replaced drive belt, some issues with clutch and a small oil leak
Page 1 of 1