Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool

Go down 
+11
"Hi Yo"
yahooie
chieninhouston
Opalsboy
masscoot
JeffR
matthew
thomphoto
MikeH
DennisB
tankyuong
15 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool Empty
PostSubject: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Just replaced the final drive oil today, used a syringe, didnt work too well rode one day, then headed to harbor freight and got an oil dispenser that had a lengthened metal tip started squirting 100x then oil finally started overflowing from underneath, I thought I filled it up the first time with the syringe but guess not since the syringe didnt fit too well in the hole.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi,

I have not replaced the oil in my final drive gear as of yet on my 2008 but I was thinking of using one of those big plactic turkey baseters and a short piece of rubber hose attached to the end as a way to get the oil installed when the time comes.

DennisB sunny

Last edited by DennisB on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Get a lube pump like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/56208?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=56208

This particular one is for a marine application, but I think I have seen them at auto parts stores, maybe even Walmart. You would need to cut the fitting of the end of the tubing - or just get a length of vinyl tubing the same diameter, long enough to reach into your final drive fill opening. Measure out the right amount of lube into a small container (plus a little extra to allow for what will be left over in the pump. Easy, No mess, no fuss.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Just go to Wally World and get one of those oil squirt cans that has the pump on the handle. It holds just about the right amount of oil, and fits in the hole with no problems. Takes 10 minutes to change the final drive oil.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Wendell,

An oil squirt can...now that sounds right. Is that the one where it has the brass twist closer on the end? cheers What's the cost of the squirt can at Wal-Mart?
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 7:18 pm

DennisB wrote:
Wendell,

An oil squirt can...now that sounds right. Is that the one where it has the brass twist closer on the end? cheers What's the cost of the squirt can at Wal-Mart?
Dennis, I think that's the one. It looks like a regular oil can, but the spout is long and thin, and it has a pump as part of the handle. I'm not sure what it cost, but it was just a few bucks.

Wendell

PS: love that light bracket
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 8:24 pm

I got one - a little oil can with the pump handle and extended tube with brass tip, just right for this job - recently at Pep Boys (auto parts store) for around $8 I think. Surprising how hard it was to find one of these oil cans. I looked in at least 4 different stores, including WalMart, KMart, AutoZone etc. No one had it. Finally Pep Boys had ONE on the shelf - with a warning to use gloves or wash your hands or something because it's painted with lead paint. It's always something.

The right tool however made the job a snap, while a lot of posters seem to have a lot of trouble doing this neatly.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:07 pm

If you look at the Pictorial I made you can see the oil can I bought at Harbor Freight for about $5. It worked great for me.

http://www.4shared.com/file/85165640/c304d9e6/Changing_the_Final_Drive_Oil_Pictorial.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks Guys,

Next time I go to the Harbor Freight I'll will pick one these up and leave the Turkey Baseter in the Kitchen for the Turkey if I ever cook one. What a Face

DennisB

Last edited by DennisB on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed Typo)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 pm

I down loaded JeffR's pictorial on installing an air filter & changed the filter last week with no problems. The pictorial made the job a breeze.
Thanks Jeff

Also down loaded the pictorial on changing the final drive oil. I have all the wrenches. Went to Harbor Freight & bought the oil can.
Noted in the repair manuel to use 10-40 Honda or equal for the replacement oil, but saw you used something different.
What is your view on this?

Ernie
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Ernie,

I'm glad the Pictorials helped for the air filter. As for the oil, I either have used the same oil for the crankcase or the 75-90w gear oil. It is a bit thicker than the 10-40. But you can just use 10-40w of your choice though. Again, this is just my opinion so others may chime in too on their thoughts.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:54 pm

I tried buying one from walmart but they didnt have it,so I bought a syringe from there didnt work so the oil can at harbor freight was just right $4
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 1:05 am

Everyone has a different method for this so here's mine. I use a clear plastic solvent dispenser bottle and some 1/4" clear tubing. The bottles come in a variety of sizes mostly in the 8-12oz range. The tube is 12"-14" long and one end is cut at an angle (bologna cut), the other end fits perfectly over the nozzle tip of the dispenser bottle. I have marked graduations on the bottle so I can tell how much is is flowing into the final drive. I insert the tube and hold it firmly, the angle cut allows you to insert the tube more fully into the hole. Turn the dispenser bottle upside down and squeeze (gently). The clear bottle allows you to watch your progress and when the bottle is empty you are done. Final fluid = almost 11 ounces (.32l) Sort of a modified turkey baster method. Here is the picture of the bottle. You can get them just about any where from Wally-world to the pharmacy for a couple bucks, here is a picture.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:05 am

I tried to down load Jeff's pictures on the changing of the final drive oil but all I get is goobly gook wording instead of pictures. Could someone please post a picture of the location of the drain plug and also where to refill. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:28 am

https://www.silverwing600.com/maintenance-tips-and-hints-f7/changing-the-final-drive-oil-pictorial-t200.htm
Try one more time to go to the link in the maintenance section on the forum links. If this still doesn't work, send me a pm with your email and I can email it to you that way. I tried to attach it to a post here but that didn't work. It is a mystery why you are having problem. Link works fine for me.
Gary

try this too... it is the actual file from the link above. You will have to wait about 10 seconds before clicking on "download" then "open" it.

http://www.4shared.com/get/85165640/c304d9e6/Changing_the_Final_Drive_Oil_Pictorial.html

Last edited by Opalsboy on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added direct file URL)
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:53 am

JeffR wrote:
If you look at the Pictorial I made you can see the oil can I bought at Harbor Freight for about $5. It worked great for me.

http://www.4shared.com/file/85165640/c304d9e6/Changing_the_Final_Drive_Oil_Pictorial.html

Just finished replacing the final drive oil this morning. With the help of you all especially Jeff's pictorial. Everything went fine. The meter read 2342, oil drained out was kind of dark gray color with few metal bits. I am sure happy that I did not wait till my next oil change. Big thanks to you all.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am

Turkey injector worked fine for me. Didn't plug the hole up fully so I did have some drippage. I just kept filling and filling till a good amount started to come out. Not the most practical will go invest in oil can at harbor freight.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 pm

yahooie wrote:
Turkey injector worked fine for me. Didn't plug the hole up fully so I did have some drippage. I just kept filling and filling till a good amount started to come out. Not the most practical will go invest in oil can at harbor freight.
Don't forget to return the turkey injector to the kitchen. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Hah, lol. Only used it for gear oil.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 6:31 pm

The Harbor Freight oiler http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=oiler

Part no 66350 for $4 is the way to go. Lately I have been measuring exactly the amount necessary - adding 1/2 ounce - then letting the excess ooze out, otherwise it seems to take forever to drain the excess if I put too much in. Good Luck!

PS - Don't use 'turkey oil' in your final drive - am guessing that it may not be such a good idea.

Last edited by Dimond on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Oh but the turkey oil reminds me of thanksgiving. The riders behind me all look around as if someone is cooking
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 am

I use an old HF oil pump can I've had for years but I took off the spout and soldered a 6" long piece of 1/8" copper tube, available by the foot from hardware stores, to the brass fitting that screws into the pump after I removed the old spout from it. The brass tube works well because it will fit into the filler hole leaving enough room for the oil to seep out around the filler tube when it's full. You could also use a piece of vinyl tube stretched out thin. Just heat a piece of plastic tube and pull gently to stretch it out to the diameter you want and cut it off with one end full sized to slip on the pump can.
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 8:46 am

Like MikeH, I use a pump designed for installing gear oil in the lower unit of an outboard motor. Simple, inexpensive, works great.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I use a "Catsup Dispenser" I purchased from wal mart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool   Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final drive oil replaced easier with the right tool
Page 1 of 1