Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Average belt life

Go down 
+6
phils a winger
steve_h80
lloyd193
john grinsel
JeffR
rkenman44
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rkenman44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
rkenman44

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-01-23

aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life Empty
PostSubject: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 7:47 pm

What belt life can I expect on my 09 Silverwing? Is there major damage if the belt breaks?
Back to top Go down
http://www.WeWillPraiseTheLORD.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:17 pm

The manual calls for changing the belt every 16,000 miles but many have went more than that. I usually changed my belt a bit early just for peace of mind and it only took me about 1/2 hour to do it. I think only a few have had their belt break early so I wouldn't worry about that if you were you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Damage if belt breaks=you might get run over.

With SilverWing, left over 2013, I changed at 20,000 miles, did same with Burgman 400---but machine new. miles put on quickly----09 bike age may kill belt. Now with over 300,000 rubber band drive scooter miles and only one broken belt underway, Helix (stopped coming off freeway in VA and unable to move when I wanted to go) I say follow Honda' schedule and replace with OEM belt
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 am

rkenman44 wrote:
What belt life can I expect on my 09 Silverwing? Is there major damage if the belt breaks?
Many of my Scooter Aquaintenances run their belts well beyond the 16,000 mile change suggested by Honda. In my Experience with the Silverwing Scooters, I have found that using OEM belts a 25,000 mile change is more than adequate.

Signals that a sooner belt change is needed are that the V light illuminates repeatedly. A strange clicking sound originating in the belt case area, Indicating that a broken cord in the belt is making contact with the belt case, Sounds very similar to a loose valve tappet.

This sound is not to be confused with the squealing sound caused by a rusty clutch drum, Caused by the bike sitting for an extended period. Or a glazed clutch drum, Both these conditions can be eliminated with the application of throttle to a stationary bike usually for about one second. Causing sufficient friction between the clutch bell and the clutch shoes to clean those areas.

Should you break a belt, Be sure that all pieces of the old belt are removed from the belt case, Also that no cord is wrapped around anything, Behind the clutch and Variator and from the air exhaust port in the cover. Blowing these areas out with compressed air is the correct way to do this.

This is a good time to throw away that belt case air filter and its plastic retainer, If it is still in one piece and has not yet disintegrated or became plugged. Happy motoring lloyd 193.
swing
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Its called preventative maintenance. Belts aren't expensive, its a relatively easy job to do yourself. Why risk it?
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 3:50 pm

mine has 34000, I bought at 16000 and i think belt was changed at 15000 before previous owner purchased from honda dealer. I planned on changing at 20.000 as that would mean it will do at least 3 years till i retire and no longer need a 600 scooter for commuting. With previous comments re 25000 might leave it a bit longer.........
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 5:35 pm

It depends on who you think knows best, Honda who designed, developed, and manufactured the Silver Wing. They say in the rider handbook and the service manual, inspect belt at 12000 miles and replace at 16000 miles, which the majority of riders seem to do.

Or some anonymous bloke on a forum saying different, because lots of his anonymous scooter associates who may or may not be Silver Wing owners stretch it out to 25000 miles. Other anonymous blokes on here are advocates of running on car tyres, blokes telling us all they're using oils like Hypoid, Rotella etc, none of which are recommended by Honda for the Silver Wing.

Then there's some blokes disabling an important safety feature like the side stand ignition cut out switch, mainly as I see it because they're too lazy to haul the scooter onto it's main stand.

Feel a few bumps in the road? Hang on a minute, HyperPro springs bloke will be along in a minute.

Better still go back a couple of weeks and there's yet another bloke on here telling you there's lots of places on a Silver Wing to carry and conceal a handgun.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Meldrew wrote:
It depends on who you think knows best, Honda who designed, developed, and manufactured the Silver Wing. They say in the rider handbook and the service manual, inspect belt at 12000 miles and replace at 16000 miles, which the majority of riders seem to do.

Or some anonymous bloke on a forum saying different, because lots of his anonymous scooter associates who may or may not be Silver Wing owners stretch it out to 25000 miles. Other anonymous blokes on here are advocates of running on car tyres, blokes telling us all they're using oils like Hypoid, Rotella etc, none of which are recommended by Honda for the Silver Wing.

Then there's some blokes disabling an important safety feature like the side stand ignition cut out switch, mainly as I see it because they're too lazy to haul the scooter onto it's main stand.

Feel a few bumps in the road? Hang on a minute, HyperPro springs bloke will be along in a minute.

Better still go back a couple of weeks and there's yet another bloke on here telling you there's lots of places on a Silver Wing to carry and conceal a handgun.

Thanks to all you anonymous Blokes for all the great suggestions you have taken the time to post to all us receptive individuals who read and think about the things you have suggested. Substancial amounts of this knowledge has been gained thru experience and experimentation, Not just read in a publication. I Liked the suggestions on places to transport one's hand gun, I personally prefer one of my holsters. Happy Motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 am

Fair Warning: Currently, the best way to get put in "time out" or receive the "persona non grata" award is to start a piss'n contest about guns. This subject is best dropped.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Fair Warning: Currently, the best way to get put in "time out" or receive the "persona non grata" award is to start a piss'n contest about guns. This subject is best dropped.

Yes, and actually this policy is one of the things that has made me be more of a lurker than active participant...

However FWIW I have 19.5k on the OEM belt on my '06--it looks good (no signs of aging or impending doom) and about 1k miles ago measured 28.1 mm wide, so it's got 1.1 mm to go 'til it reaches the service limit.

I bought the scoot' with 9100 miles, installed (4) 26g and (4) 24g DRP sliders at 9500, and have observed that since then the revs at 70 mph have risen 100 rpm or so. Based upon my experience with the Burgman 400s I've owned, and other rubberband drives, I would anticipate at this point that 25k is quite possible ...
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 am

I agree with Meldrew, I recently had a drive belt break on my Burgman400 and had to push it home. The life of the belt on the Burgman is not given, only to inspect now and again. On the Silver wing changing the belt at recommended 16,000mls makes sense. Pushing a 400 Burgman for quarter of a mile was no joke, pushing a Silver wing I would not have attempted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Average belt life   aftermarket  oem belt - Average belt life I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Average belt life
Page 1 of 1